Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Minneapolis City Council Unanimously Approves Motion To Abolish Police Force
(06-27-2020, 08:48 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 08:24 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I don't know what it was like in the 50s, but consideration of others has steadily taken a nosedive, because people know they can behave like assholes and you can't do anything about it without serious consequences.

I lived in the 50s, and even then, you wouldn't get away with beating someone down because they were just rude of obnoxious. Physical attacks are a different thing, and most of the time you just fought it out, unless the battle was too one sided, or when the beat down did not fit the offense.

Living in the country was a bit different. Most did not have telephones and I believe we had one Sheriff and maybe three Deputies in an 100 miles of diameter. So, getting the police on scene was not an easy feat. Small problems were generally handled within the community, and I guess that is why we were so tight. Disputes that required the police generally involved legal disputes like land, property, livestock, and crops. Personal problems only involved the law when they got out of hand, or the injured party felt they had not been treated justly.

Country folk can sometimes take the stance of "it is not my business" too far, but they can change on a dime when they think it is all of their business.

I'm not saying you might have been more likely to get away with it back then, I was wondering if common courtesy was more prevalent back then than it is today.

My parents and grandparents used to not even bother with locking the doors, they are the complete opposite today.  My mother had been anti-gun all her life, but I've been working on her all of mine.  She finally said she is thinking about getting a gun.

Society has changed, and not for the better.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Minneapolis City Council Unanimously Approves Motion To Abolish Police Force - by Schmoe1 - 06-27-2020, 09:11 PM