Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Results of the UK's European Members Election 2019.
(06-02-2019, 09:31 AM)BIAD Wrote: I think Wallfire may be referring to this 2017 BBC article and ones like it. (Forgive me for answering on WF's behalf).

Quote:EU to sue Poland, Hungary and Czechs for refusing refugee quotas....
BBC:

And this from 2018...

Macron pushes to PUNISH EU nations with FINES if they refuse migrants.

From 2017...
ECJ upholds EU’s right to force member states to take in refugees.

Thanks Phil,
That's exactly what I've been asking for... Evidence!

Now, from my first skim-read over...

That first article (and the ones linked from it) state that EU members VOTED in 2015 to allow an increased number of migrants to be MOVED FROM Italy, Greece and Hungary into other EU member states? Yes?

Which is exactly how I described the issue earlier:
Quote:"The EU doesn't have any power to force members to take refugees/immigrants from outside of the EU.

Much of the refugee crisis (for example in Sweden) has been caused by individual countries allowing migrants to settle in their countries, even allowing them citizenship - which in turn gives them access to the rest of the EU."

They are talking about migrants who have already landed and been given assistance in Italy/Greece etc. being allowed to then move on to the other EU states.

The EU Members VOTED on whether it was fair on some of it's members (Italy/Greece etc) to bear the brunt of the refugee crisis alone, and came up with the decision that the load should be spread among those other EU member states who had already agreed to be bound by such decisions. And that the load would be spread proportionately in relation to population / wealth of each member state along with the number of Asylum Seeker applications received.

Ireland, Denmark and the UK have not agreed to be bound by these rules and therefore do not have to abide by the decision - it isn't FORCED onto any state that didn't originally agree to be bound by the outcome of EU votes on migration etc.

Any member states that DID agree to abide by EU rulings on migration etc and who then refuse to be bound by the decisions that are made would likely be subject to fines imposed by the European Court of Justice but would also have a Right To Appeal under EU law.

That doesn't really sound to me like what Wallfire said:

Quote:"They change laws as they want, for exsamble the refugee crisis, they tell country's to take refugees or else..."

The EU voted on whether to share the migrant load that was already there.
The vast majority of member states agreed to share the load.
3 or 4 didn't like the ruling, but had already agreed to be bound by it under the terms of their membership.

What should the EU have done?
Left Italy and Greece to fend for themselves?
Turned a blind eye?
Helped to send the migrants back to their own countries?
Nothing?

It's a difficult one.

I'm aware that I may be coming across here as a supporter of the EU?
Probably because everyone else who has commented has mainly been posting anti-EU sentiments which I've then been questioning?

I'd just like to re-iterate that I am NOT Pro-EU, (nor Anti-EU).

I didn't vote in the EU Brexit Referendum because I believed that there was not enough information (from either side) to make a reasonably informed decision.

There was also a great deal of lying, mis-information, rumour-mongering, insinuation, bitching, and name-calling with very little substance / fact / evidence to back-up or support it.

I am still very firmly of the opinion that I was correct in my assessment and subsequent decision regarding all of that.

Where I find myself now is that I am a citizen of a Nation (which is currently a member of the EU) being dragged out of the EU against our will by an "equal" partner in our UK Union which just does not want to listen to us.

If the UK leaves the EU, taking Scotland with it... then we (Scots) will be subject to any new trade deals etc that the UK Govt at Westminster decides to make (without our agreement).
We will have no say whatsoever if WM sells off our Health Service, our Fisheries, our Food Hygiene / Quality / Health & Safety Standards, our Ban on Fracking, our Employment protection laws, pensions, free movement etc etc etc etc

Everything that Scotland stands for could be thrown onto the garbage heap.
The ONLY way for Scotland to protect all of that is to get Independence from the UK.
Being in the EU doesn't immediately threaten any of that AFAIK?? So I think that's why the Scottish Govt's preferred position would be independence from the UK with continued membership of the EU.

I'm still (personally) on the fence about the EU, but haven't yet seen anything substantial enough to make me understand the decision to Brexit without further clarity of what the alternative would/will be!

G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Results of the UK's European Members Election 2019. - by gordi - 06-03-2019, 12:17 PM