Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Results of the UK's European Members Election 2019.
(05-28-2019, 03:03 PM)gordi Wrote: The way it works is worryingly simple:
The UK Govt takes approx 85% of Tax revenues raised in Scotland and then (generously) allocates about 35% back to Scotland to "balance the books" there (via Barnett Formula).
The remaining revenues are spent "on Scotland's behalf" by Westminster, but mostly on important "UK infrastructure" projects like:

The High Speed Rail Link (HS1/Channel Tunnel Link) £5.8Billion,
CrossRail (Reading/Heathrow - London - Shenfield/Abbey Wood) £17.6Billion,
HS2 (London - West Midlands - Manchester / Leeds) at least £56Billion *estimated cost.
Crossrail2 (SW London - NE London) at least £30Billion *estimated cost.

Now these projects are all based solely in England (mostly London), come nowhere near to Scotland at any point, and it's very unclear how they will benefit Scotland in any way, but because WM describes them as "UK" infrastructure projects, the monies spent there are apportioned accordingly in the UK's balance sheets with Scotland paying it's "fair share" of almost 10% of the costs...

Tada! with just these 4 projects alone costing over £104Billion, that means that over £10Billion is suddenly wiped off of Scotland's balance sheet to fund English (UK) infrastructure projects!
It is sheer genius!
In the meantime, the Scottish Government does what it can to protect and develop Scotland's infrastructure, but we NEVER receive massive "UK" funding for any "Scottish" projects... funny that.

I can't counter any of that and being so close to the Scottish border (i.e, anywhere after Leeds!) I can appreciate the
disingenuous bullsh*t that indicates the favorability towards southern schemes.

It is true that Westminster take monies from regions and then state it's for the overall maintenance that -even if a
Government was being honest, could be seen as biased, and maybe it's the perception Gordi referred to in regarding
Scotland as a 'region' and not a country, that makes it feel like a total rip-off.

Again, I'm not batting for the 'sasanach'-side in this debate, but I was interested in knowing where the monies were
generated in Scotland. I only know the brochure-version and unsure about how the money from the oil was dispersed.

Quote:'...The latest slap in the face that I came across (quite recently although actually published 5 yrs ago) was a proposed
infrastructure project which would "divert" fresh water from the Scottish Borders region down to the parched Southern
areas of England via a series of new canals or pipelines...'

They've been trucking water out of a reservoir that's only a mile away from me for two summers now!
All for the south.
Quote:Sorry if my posts come across as a bit of a rant, but this stuff really gets my blood boiling!

Nope, it's not a rant and I know where you're coming from.
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Results of the UK's European Members Election 2019. - by BIAD - 05-28-2019, 05:40 PM