Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It's News Guys, But Not As We Know it!
It certainly makes you think...
minusculethinking

Quote:Driver who stopped to help when truck carrying 100 lab monkeys crashed in Pennsylvania and put her hand
in one of the cages says she now has a cough and pink eye after one of the macaques HISSED in her face

*Woman who stopped to help monkeys in truck crash is now feeling unwell
*Michelle Fallon, from Danville near Scranton, was directly behind the truck
*Fallon said the day following the accident she developed a cough and pink-eye
*She has begun a course of antiviral drugs and treatment to prevent rabies 
*The last of the four escaped monkeys was accounted for by late Saturday 
One of the cynomolgus macaques, which are also known as crab-eating or
long-tailed macaques, was found in a tree
*Pennsylvania residents had been warned not to engage a crab-eating macaque
that escaped from a truck carrying 100 of them to a lab
*Crates with live monkeys inside were strewn across State Route 54 in Danville,
130 miles from Philadelphia, after the crash 
*A witness said he thought he saw a cat run across the road before making the
shocking realization that it was actually a fleeing primate

'A woman who stopped to help after a truck carrying 100 lab monkeys crashed in Pennsylvania fears she's caught an illness
after one of the macaques hissed in her face, leaving her with pink eye symptoms. Michelle Fallon, from Danville near Scranton,
was driving directly behind the vehicle when it crashed, throwing animal crates all over the highway and smashing some to pieces.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10656]
Michelle Fallon and the apes.

Three of the macaques escaped and went on the run, but all have since been captured and humanely euthanized.
All of the other monkeys - who'd arrived in the US from Mauritius that morning, and were en route to a lab, have been accounted for.
Fallon has now had a rabies shot, and wrote about the symptoms she has since suffered on Facebook - and also told PA Homepage
that she'd developed symptoms of pink eye - an inflammation or infection of the eye ball. 

She said: 'I was close to the monkeys, I touched the crates, I walked through their feces so I was very close. So I called (a helpline)
to inquire, you know, was I safe? 'Because the monkey did hiss at me and there were feces around, and I did have an open cut, they
just want to be precautious.' 

Fallon said she got out to help both the driver and the animals in their cages, initially believing them to be cats. When she approached
and put her hand on the cage, she says the monkey hissed at her. The day following the accident, Fallon suddenly developed a cough
and pink eye, which became so bad that she had to visit the emergency room at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville.

Infectious disease doctors gave her the first of four rabies injections together with some anti-viral drugs.

She said on Facebook that she was monitoring for symptoms of rabies and monkey herpes virus B. 

'What a day! I tried to help out at an accident and was told there were cats in the crates. So I went over to pet them only to find out it's
monkeys. Then I noticed that there was three in each, with some completely broken, so I knew four had got away,' Fallon wrote of her
experience on her Facebook page. 

'I came home to go to bed and my aunt ran into a news crew and she found out not to get too close to the monkey. Well, I tried to pet one.
I touched the crates and walked in poop. I was told meet the police at the scene to talk about exposure', she explained.
'I spoke with the police and a woman from the CDC I am getting a letter and I'm very low risk for I don't know what yet.
But my symptoms are covid symptoms. Like seriously. A day from hell!' 

Fallon has been told to keep a close eye on her health for the next month in case she develops any infectious disease as a result of
being so close to them. The test monkeys were on their way to a laboratory in Florida when the truck crashed into a garbage truck.
Fallon said that she spoke with the pickup driver and a passenger directly after the crash.

The driver appeared to be disoriented, and the passenger thought he might have injured his legs, she said.
The pickup was heading west on I-80 when it got off at the Danville exit and then immediately tried to get back on, driving across the
other lane...'
Daily Mail:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 

Messages In This Thread
It's News Guys, But Not As We Know it! - by BIAD - 05-26-2019, 10:00 AM
RE: It's News Jim, But Not As We Know it! - by Wallfire - 10-21-2019, 11:51 AM
RE: It's News Jim, But Not As We Know it! - by Wallfire - 10-23-2019, 05:16 PM
RE: It's News Jim, But Not As We Know it! - by Wallfire - 10-29-2019, 11:14 AM
RE: It's News Jim, But Not As We Know it! - by Wallfire - 12-21-2019, 11:17 AM
RE: It's News Jim, But Not As We Know it! - by Wallfire - 01-22-2020, 01:20 PM
RE: It's News Jim, But Not As We Know it! - by Wallfire - 01-31-2020, 02:43 PM