Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The YouTube Bigfoot... What's It All Really About?
(02-28-2020, 06:08 PM)BIAD Wrote: ...  it was only the moment when she cocked the hammer,
did the situation change between her and the Bigfoot..

It means that the creature knows the functions of a firearm and is aware that cocking the hammer is a
sign of intent. It knows the way we think.
tinyhuh

The tale rings true to me - it has several points of contact with my own experience. I've told my tale a couple of times before, so I'll not re-relate the entire thing again, only hit the high spots. I had a 12 gauge shotgun, loaded with 6 rounds of double-ought buckshot... and I was utterly unconvinced I could stop the thing before it got on me if it charged, even with that much lead, just as this lady was unconvinced that a .44 would dent hers. The critter never charged me, but it DID know that I was there, and exactly where I was hid, because it looked straight at me for several seconds. To be certain, had it charged I'd have shot the shit out of it with everything I had, but I still might not be here today had that occurred, despite all the gunfire.

It made an impression on me that survives to this day - just like she mentioned her hand shaking, I was shaking pretty hard myself. Around here they say "shakin' like a dog shitting peach seeds" or "shaking like a dog shitting razor blades". Perhaps overly descriptive, but you get my drift. I could have won a dance contest, I think.

After the encounter, when we were all back in the house, I had a pretty stiff drink myself, just as she mentioned, while I told the tale of what had me shook up to the rest of the folks there.

Now, all sorts of critters understand guns, what they're for and what they will do, so it doesn't surprise me that a Bigfoot would understand them as well. Even crows, with their bird-brains, know the difference between a man with a gun and a man without a gun - they have different warning calls for each.

Several years ago, when I was living in Gibsonville NC, we got a call one morning from a distraught neighbor who reported that some dogs had her son pinned in to his house, and wouldn't let him out to catch the school bus. I put on my field jacket and put a Browning Hi-Power HP35 9mm pistol in the pocket and went to run the dogs off. When I got there, they were out away from the house running along a fence line, but when they saw me, they turned and started charging straight for me, with evident mayhem in mind. I took two steps backwards to create space while I limbered up the pistol, figuring I was going to have to shoot them, but when I got it drawn and aimed, and cocked the hammer, the dogs stopped dead in their tracks, one being a huge Rottweiler. He stood there for a moment assessing the situation and licking his chops, but when I said "You'd better get on, or I'm gonna plant one right between your eyes" he and his companion hightailed it out of there before I could make good on my promise.

Years before that, in my late teens or early 20's, I was crossing a field with one of my own dogs when a 3000 pound Black Angus bull took offense and started charging us. My dog - a 90 pound beast of a cur with a shaggy brown coat, green eyes, and a pink nose whose name was "Chipper" -  ever the dutiful protector, promptly ran and hid behind my legs, looking up at me as if to say "ain't you gonna do something?". All I had was a .22 rifle, but that was better than nothing since there was no way we could make it out of the field before the bull could catch us. I planted my feet and drew down on the charging bull, with intent to turn him into a 3000 pound pile of hamburgers... but as soon as he saw me draw down, he stopped so suddenly that his skidding feet kicked up a dust cloud. He stared at me a few moments, and I stared back (never dropping the rifle muzzle nor taking the sights off the miscreant bull, of course), waiting for the charge to resume, but it never did. After a few minutes of staring each other down, the bull blinked. He snorted and trotted off in a safer direction, and my dog and I finished crossing the field unmolested.

I tell those tales just to underscore the point that critters KNOW - so why shouldn't a primate like Bigfoot?

=======================================================================

The wolf story earlier in the video also intrigued me. About 4 years ago or so, I saw a huge wolf on top of the mountain here one morning, which was about 3 1/2 feet tall and about 5 feet long from the tip of his nose to the root of his tail where it joins the body. When I raised Timber Wolf - German Shepherd hybrids, I had a big white male that weighed 145 pounds, and he wasn't as big as the wolf I saw. I think the report in the video of the wolf being "4 1/2 or 5 feet tall" was an exaggeration borne of the observer's shock, but have no doubt that it was big - just not THAT big. The Dire Wolves mentioned by the narrator were not that big - they were about the size of the wolf I saw, which is the size of an exceptionally huge modern Timber Wolf - but Dire Wolves attained that size regularly, not exceptionally.

My sighting, my research on Dire Wolves and their size, and one other report have always made me wonder about that sighting. The other report was by Osborne Russell, a Rocky Mountain fur trapper in the 1840's. In an appendix to his diary, which has been published as "Diary of a Fur Trapper", he lists many of the animals he encountered in his travels in the Rockies in that day and age, and under "Wolves" he lists 3 types he encountered, whereas only two of those types are recognized today. He tells of a "Medicine Wolf", which is what the Indians called coyotes, and so equates to a modern coyote. A second type he called "Prairie Wolf", and the description he gives answers to what is called a Timber Wolf nowadays. The third type is one that modern classification does not recognize as still existent - he called it a "Buffalo Wolf", and it's description accords with the descriptions of Pleistocene era Dire Wolves.

That, my sighting, and this report, make me wonder if Dire Wolves ever truly went extinct.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: The YouTube Bigfoot... What's It All Really About? - by Wallfire - 12-03-2017, 02:34 PM
RE: The YouTube Bigfoot... What's It All Really About? - by Ninurta - 03-02-2020, 03:29 AM
RE: The YouTube Bigfoot... What's It All Really About? - by drussell41 - 11-09-2020, 12:01 PM
RE: The YouTube Bigfoot... What's It All Really About? - by drussell41 - 11-10-2020, 08:43 AM
RE: The YouTube Bigfoot... What's It All Really About? - by Wallfire - 04-22-2020, 07:38 AM
RE: The YouTube Bigfoot... What's It All Really About? - by Wallfire - 05-05-2020, 09:17 AM
RE: The YouTube Bigfoot... What's It All Really About? - by drussell41 - 11-10-2020, 12:59 PM
RE: The YouTube Bigfoot... What's It All Really About? - by drussell41 - 11-10-2020, 01:24 PM