Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Houston man charged with trying to plant bomb at Confederate statue in Hermann Park.
Houston man charged with trying to plant bomb at Confederate statue in Hermann Park.

Quote:[Image: attachment.php?aid=2331]

'Andrew Schneck, who was charged with trying to bomb the Dick Dowling statue, shown in

his 2009 Junior year Memorial High School yearbook in spring branch ISD.

The park ranger spotted him kneeling in the bushes by the 112-year-old Confederate statue,
explosives in hand. Was he trying to harm the statue? she asked.
Yes, he said. He didn't like the guy...'

WTF?!!

Quote:'...The late-night confrontation at the statue of Confederate Lt. Dick Dowling — detailed in court
records by a federal agent — led to the arrest of 25-year-old Andrew Schneck, setting off a
two-day operation by law enforcement that forced the evacuation of the tony Rice University
neighborhood where Schneck lives with his parents.

Bomb squad experts detonated a cache of high-powered explosives found on the property
Monday afternoon as residents waited to return to their homes.
The arrest marked the latest chapter in a growing fight over Confederate statues that has
sparked protests across the country, punctuated by a deadly clash between white supremacists
and counter-protesters Aug. 12 in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Schneck, charged Monday with attempting to maliciously damage or destroy property,
was ordered into federal custody pending a court hearing later this week.
If convicted, he could face up to 40 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

It is the second time Schneck has run afoul of federal law enforcement. He was convicted in 2014
of storing explosives at another of his parents' properties and sentenced to five years probation,
but was released early last year.

Lawyers for Schneck offered few details about the case.
"This is an evolving situation, with an ongoing investigation," said Philip Hilder, who is representing
Schneck and who represented him in the previous case. "It would be premature to comment at this
time since we have not seen the evidence."

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2332]

The white marble statue of Dowling, an Irish immigrant who lived in Houston and fought for the
Confederacy, was erected in 1905 to honor rebel soldiers who died at the Battle of Sabine Pass.
A street named for Dowling was changed earlier this year to Emancipation Avenue.

Schneck's arrest about 11 p.m. Saturday followed a day of protests and counter-protests over another
controversial statue, the Spirit of the Confederacy, in Sam Houston Park.
The "Destroy the Confederacy" protest drew hundreds but ended without incident.

Park Ranger Tamara Curtis, who was not allowed to speak to the media Monday, found Schneck
near the base of the Dowling statue with two boxes filled with a homemade detonator, a timer, wiring,
a battery, a bottle of nitroglycerin and an explosive organic compound known as HMTD, hexamethylene
triperoxide diamine, according to the sworn statement by Federal Bureau of Investigations Special
Agent Patrick Hutchinson.

After being confronted, he tried to drink some of the liquid explosives but "immediately spit the liquid
on the ground ... then proceeded to pour the contents of the bottle on the ground next to him," according
to the statement.

"Nitroclycerin is highly dangerous to transport or use," Hutchinson wrote. "ln its undiluted form, it is one
of the world's most powerful explosives."
Schneck told law enforcement he had other chemicals at his home on Albans Road, sending a swarm
of local and federal agents to the tree-lined street just north of Rice University.

Deron Ogletree, an assistant special-agent-in-charge in the FBI's Houston office, said experts came
in from the national training center at Quantico, Virginia, as well as other FBI offices in Dallas and
New Orleans.
"We've been working long hours since Saturday evening," Ogletree said Monday.

By 9:15 a.m. Monday, FBI agents had set up a blue tent on the front lawn, as hazardous materials
experts and agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives searched the property.
"There's a significant amount of material," said Larry Satterwhite, an assistant Houston police chief who
oversees the Homeland Security Command. "Some very hazardous materials were found."

Satterwhite didn't say what type of explosives investigators found...'

SOURCE:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Quote:If convicted, he could face up to 40 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

If the courts would just DO THEIR JOB, all this BS would stop!   smallfit I say punish these people to the full extent of the law, then others will think twice before destroying historic statues.
Explanation: WE have a statute of limitations on [most] crimes ... and so I suggest we have a limitation on statues .... a time limitation ... make them into a time capsule instead.

Personal Disclosure: The time frame I recommend for a limitation on statues is 50yrs [3 generations].
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!