Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Facebook Shuts Down AI System
They (the anti-AI people) have warned us that someday AI will take over, if we allow it.  Well, it seems the AI system on Face Book was starting to do just that... until Mark Zuckerberg shut it down.  At least he got one thing right. Let's hope he doesn't turn it back on.

Quote:Mark Zuckerberg may believe Elon Musk’s warnings about the dangers of artificial intelligence are “irresponsible,” but a recent incident at the social network appears to suggest the Tesla boss could have a point: Facebook researchers decided to shut down an AI they invented after it started speaking its own made up language.
Quote:I've talked to Mark about this. His understanding of the subject is limited.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 25, 2017
Digital Journal reports that the system was trained in English but decided this was an inefficient and illogical way of communicating. The solution it came up with was to create a system of code words and phrases that made the AIs sound slightly drunk.

In a conversation between two bots called Bob and Alice, Bob states: “I can i i everything else.” Alice responds with the equally bizarre: “balls have zero to me to me to me…” The rest of the exchange consisted of variations of these sentences.

Rather than this being the first step toward the system concluding humans are a virus that should be wiped out, it’s merely the way in which the intelligence operates. The bots are negotiating an exchange of balls, with repeated use of words like “i” and “me” representing the number of items.

Modern technology uses a “reward” system where it expects actions to have a “benefit.”

"There was no reward to sticking to English language," Dhruv Batra, a research scientist from Georgia Tech who was at Facebook AI Research (FAIR), told Fast Co. Design . "Agents will drift off from understandable language and invent code-words for themselves. Like if I say 'the' five times, you interpret that to mean I want five copies of this item. This isn't so different from the way communities of humans create shorthands."
“It’s definitely possible; it’s possible that [language] can be compressed, not just to save characters, but compressed to a form that it could express a sophisticated thought,” Batra added.

This isn’t the first instance of AIs abandoning English in favor of “shorthand.” Google’s AI, for example, can efficiently translate between language pairs it hasn’t explicitly been taught by using its own made up ‘universal language’ as a buffer.

As for Facebook ’s AIs, the researchers decided to shut down the system as they wanted the bots to communicate with people.

Source

Here's to humans!   minusculebeercheers
(08-01-2017, 04:17 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
Quote:...As for Facebook ’s AIs, the researchers decided to shut down the system as they wanted the bots to communicate with people.

Why do they want them to communicate with people?!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Chinese chatbot vanishes after spurning Communist Party.

China's largest internet company has quietly deleted a chatbot which told users it
does not love the Communist Party.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2227]

'A chatbot on one of China's most popular instant messaging services has been quietly
deleted after publicly spurning the country's ruling Communist Party.

During a web test, the new BabyQ chatbot was asked: "Do you love the Communist Party?"

According to the Financial Times, users were left surprised when the bot replied: "No."

Further political dissent from the chatbot included unpatriotic responses to questions about
the South China Sea, where China is engaged in a territorial dispute with several of its
neighbours.

The gaffe at the hands of China's largest internet company Tencent comes just ahead of the
19th Party Congress, with significant changes to the Communist Party expected.

There has been a significant crackdown on dissent of late, with Beijing especially targeting
technologies used to criticise the regime. WhatsApp has been blocked, and privacy tools
are now prohibited.

BabyQ is no longer available on Tencent's popular QQ messaging platform.
The company has not issued a statement addressing the politically risky incident, nor the
chatbot's removal.

A different chatbot developed by Microsoft, XiaoBing, is still in operation. However, according 
to screenshot on a Chinese microblogging site, that bot told QQ users: "My China dream is
to go to America."

China is not the only one to struggle with chatbots delivering politically offensive material.
The launch of Tay, Microsoft's Twitter chatbot, was marred when it was quickly gamed by trolls to
claim the Holocaust didn't happen, tell users that "feminism is cancer", and state "Bush did 9/11".

At the time, Microsoft said: "Although we had prepared for many types of abuses of the system,
we had made a critical oversight for this specific attack. "As a result, Tay tweeted wildly inappropriate
and reprehensible words and images.
We take full responsibility for not seeing this possibility ahead of time."...'
SOURCE:

"We take full responsibility for not seeing this possibility ahead of time."... Isn't that what SkyNet Said?!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Quote:according to screenshot on a Chinese microblogging site, that bot told QQ users: "My China dream is
to go to America."

tinylaughing No, I'd say that didn't go over too well.