Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Portland school board bans climate change-denying materials
Another article regarding this school's actions on removing from school books, what they "think" is inappropriate wording when it comes to climate change and science

Quote:But a few days after the vote, the story took on a life of its own, mostly outside Portland: Some websites called the move a “ban” on specific books, while another claimed that the district would scan its libraries and remove all books that weren’t up to snuff. One of the advocates fielded emails calling him an “idiot” and a “d-bag.”

The Heartland Institute, a conservative group, posted on its blog that the school district was "demanding that their unshakable faith in catastrophic anthropogenic global warming be the only thing taught in school." In an email, Heartland's director of communications, Jim Lakely, said the resolution was harmful because "it teaches kids in Portland public schools the falsehood that the science is settled." He said he's concerned that kids will be "indoctrinated instead of taught how the scientific method works." 

The story of how an attempt to bring a school district’s textbooks up-to-date with modern science turned into something much more politicized shows how touchy it can be to try to regulate how schools teach about an emerging field.

“It feeds into the more politicized context of climate change,” said Josh Rosenau, programs and policy director for the National Center for Science Education. “I certainly think that climate education is important and should be accurate … but I tend to be a bit leery when a single subject is singled out for any reason.”

Well, I myself am guilty of calling that one guy ignorant and a gooberhead for his remarks, stating that something was "not factually correct" in regards to not all scientists are in agreement of the greenhouse effect
When in reality, he is so driven by his own motives, that he is flat out ignoring science and all that it stands for.

Quote:These screeds, Rosen said, missed the point. “I’m not saying that we’re going to burn the textbooks. I’m not saying that we’re going to destroy the textbooks,” he said. "What we’re talking about is getting up-to-date texts.”

Portland schools tried to change how they teach climate change — and ignited a firestorm

No what you are talking about is editing the books to suit your fancy and deprive the kids of any real debate on Man-made climate change versus NATURAL evolution of Mother Earth.

You are injecting YOUR own beliefs into "what should be taught" instead of allowing the students to learn about the process of science...yes, the "Might, could be, may" wording that you so despise.

Because science is just that
Studying and researching, asking questions
Research more...study different areas

As per NASA.GOV

[Image: Dm17j4t.png]

[Image: Jwk5yLh.png]

Please note the part of ....

Science is not just a tidy package of knowledge,
Science is not just a step-by-step approach to discovery.
Science is more like a mystery inviting anyone who is interested to become a detective and join in the fun.

As well as.....

Anyone can have an idea about how nature works. Some people think their idea is correct because "it seems right" or "it makes sense." But for a scientist (who could be you!), this is not enough. A scientist will test the idea in the real world. An idea that predicts how the world works is called a hypothesis.

That last part sounds like the environmentalist

They think their idea is correct, because " it seems right"
Therefore they want to indoctrinate the students to think as they do, instead of letting them learn ALL about a topic from various points of views, not just the selected idealistic view of the school.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Messages In This Thread
RE: Portland school board bans climate change-denying materials - by senona - 05-25-2016, 05:29 AM