Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
History of TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine)
(11-13-2016, 05:15 AM)rickymouse Wrote: Very good thread.  I have researched a little of Chinese medicine and tried to find the equivalent of it that grows around here.  Cross referencing that is difficult, they tend to classify things as weeds here.  I found that the star anise, a known chinese herb has some similar chemistry as found in white pine needle tea.  It can be used to treat the flu and this chemical is the basis of tamaflu.  I like white pine tea, if made right it is actually tasty.  Some recipes people use make it taste really strong but a mild steeped tea is good tasting and it also is effective for viruses.  Not quite as fun as a Hot Totti though.  They work in different ways.  White pine needle tea is also super high in vitamin C.

I researched maybe twenty herbs, I was only able to find about three or four cross references with plants here.  We do have ginsing, I actually have some on my property.  The ones here appear to be extremely old plants, full of knots on the roots.  The one I looked at was maybe a hundred years old judging by what I saw and comparing it to information on the net.  The roots are thin though, not much weight there.  There isn't much of it, I figured it can live till I need it.  I would feel guilty harvesting it if I didn't need it.  There is probably more around here in the woods on the hills, but I haven't seen it when walking in the woods.  To identify it I need to see it when it has the berries on it.  It is very pretty with the berries on it.
That's a good thought, yes in America most are taught that Dandelions are Weeds and need to be killed.
Now Dandelion’s relationship with sugar is especially valuable for people with Type II diabetes. Insulin-dependent diabetics can benefit from dandelion since the root and leaf together support stabilized blood sugar levels.Taken in small quantities before meals since ancient times by Celts, Romans, Greeks, and Mediterranean people and Chinese, dandelion was used to improve, or balance, the appetite for other vegetables and fruit, grain dishes and proteins. An antidote to excess sugars, dandelion was one of the remedies used as early as the 2nd century AD. 

This would be something most people don't know, Dutch and German immigrants packed precious roots and seeds in their luggage before embarking on the voyage to Pennsylvania in the 1850’s. Europeans settlers grew dandelion to use as a supplement to food as well as for medicine. Historically, the leaves of dandelion have been added to spring salads to increase digestive, renal (kidney), and immune activity after a long winter of dried and preserved foods.

Like rickymouse said, check your gardens and front yards.
I'll link a good website on Dandelions, here: Link and Link and here is a must read for you everyone: Link
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]

Messages In This Thread
RE: History of TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) - by guohua - 11-13-2016, 06:05 AM
RE: History of TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) - by 1984hasarrived - 11-14-2016, 04:36 AM