Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Unexplained Flashes
Hi RN3. I know it's been a long time. Been going through a lot of change and family stuff over the last several months. I didn't forget y'all. minusculebeercheers

That aside, has anyone been seeing flashes in the sky? At about 9:30 PM 2 weeks ago I was out on the porch looking up, the sky was clear as it gets and I see these two subsequent flashes of bluey-white light, pin-point in size but brilliantly bright. One happened almost at the top of the sky, slightly west biased, the second one was a little lower in the sky, also seen in the western half of the sky (but very high up). There were no following flashes or anything else nearby of note.
The curious thing was that these flashes did not fade in or out in any way. It was like a flashlight type flicker. Just On. Off. About a couple milliseconds long each, ~3 seconds apart.
My first thought was tumbling space junk but the flashes seemed too bright and instantaneous to be that, plus it only flashed twice and didn't continue down the horizon like some of the tumbling space junk I've watched go by before. The flashes were extremely bright and very small.

I looked it up and found a discussion on backyard astronomy talking about these sightings all over the world. The link has videos of iridium flare (I've seen that before too and these weren't anything like that at all, that's comparing apples to bacon ha ha), and another video of a cosmic ray which is closer to what I seen but not quite--too brief.
https://www.backyardastronomy.net/2017/0...night-sky/

If you read the comments there are people posting recent ones from this year (in fact, this week!!!) of similar sightings. What did they put up there that's making these? Is this something from a high altitude drone, or a feature of a satellite we don't know about? I don't think light cube has even launched yet so I doubt it's that, plus this article dates back to 2017. One commenter suggested positioning rocket fires, but another quickly pointed out these flashes are way too bright to be positioning rockets, which would hardly be visible if at all.

Who else is seeing these flashes, and what are your theories?

Messages In This Thread
Unexplained Flashes - by fishertail - 08-18-2022, 06:08 PM
RE: Unexplained Flashes - by BIAD - 08-18-2022, 06:27 PM
RE: Unexplained Flashes - by fishertail - 08-18-2022, 07:15 PM
RE: Unexplained Flashes - by BIAD - 08-18-2022, 07:42 PM
RE: Unexplained Flashes - by GeauxHomeLittleD - 08-18-2022, 09:03 PM
RE: Unexplained Flashes - by fishertail - 08-20-2022, 03:39 PM
RE: Unexplained Flashes - by Brotherman - 08-19-2022, 07:51 AM
RE: Unexplained Flashes - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 08-20-2022, 05:43 PM