Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
TikTok Is Worse Than You Thought
I think there is something broken in me. I've never been able to figure out the draw of TikTok. Seems like numbing mindlessness to me, and I'm not big on numbing mindlessness. Since it was engineered to be addictive to humans, there must be something inhuman inside me.

I've had a Facebook account for years, so that I could keep up with family when I was far and away. I use it mostly for posting videos marking anniversaries rather than communicating. During the initial part of the lockdown, I spent more time on it since I was out of work, and had nowhere to go and all day to get there, but FB took exception to my posts and "shadow banned" me. I figured that I'd lived 60 years without it, and could go another 60 without it just as easily. I never looked back.

When the shadow ban was up, I went back to just posting music videos to mark anniversaries, mostly deaths to make sure the dead are remembered, and checking for messages. All those folks got along pretty well when I wasn't posting to their timelines, so they'll do just fine without me. I don't miss it.

I don't understand this apparent human need for constant contact and validation. If you have something to say, say it and move onward. If you don't have anything to say, don't say it anyhow just to be moving air around. Life is too short to dwell on mindless apps.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: TikTok Is Worse Than You Thought - by Ninurta - 08-14-2022, 04:25 PM
RE: TikTok Is Worse Than You Thought - by BIAD - 08-14-2022, 06:18 PM