Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.86 Average
Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis
(05-30-2022, 12:30 PM)Bally002 Wrote: Cicadas are the go in season around here.  Thousands of them.  Best ones are those that have just emerged but the flying ones are as good.  Remove wings and legs and cook them anyway you prefer.  Taste the same as witchetty grubs but the grubs are few and far between here and you have to compete with black cockatoos.

Those big black birds certainly know where to find them.

I find the grubs when splitting wood.  Generally feed them to the birds or the birds see them before me and are already poking their beaks into the logs as they are split.

Stinging nettle and young fern tips can be used to concoct a nice brew if boiled but again if push came to shove I'd drink that to replace coffee and tea.  I have a habit of eating jellied sap from the wattle trees if I spy it leaking from the trunk but about a mouthful is all I can take.  Like very soft tasteless toffee in it's consistency when chewed.  But a snack all the same.  

Eels are everywhere.  Dams and creeks.  Bit of line and baited hook will catch them out of any water hole.  Messy things they are but again, if needs be, you'll get a feed.

In short there is plenty to eat  as @SimeonJ mentioned.

Can't be fussy when you're hungry.

Kind regards,

Bally:)

Nothing new under the sun.

The Bible speaks of folk living on locust and wild honey.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 05-30-2022, 03:21 PM