Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.86 Average
Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis
@"Michigan Swamp Buck" 

Thanks for posting this. Very nice comprehensive list. So scared after reading your post. I don’t know if this country would make it if something like that happened here, like in Venezuela, Argentina, or Greece. Most people in this country don’t have the means or space to keep much on hand.

I live in a condo a little over 1,000 square feet, no basement. If I have to store anything, it goes in my garage. I do a little prep for bad weather, definitely a thing in Wisconsin. I have some of the things on the list, like ramen noodles, coffee, liquor, baking essentials, cooking oil, honey, and candy. Not so much the rest of the list. If the electricity goes out, I have a large fireplace that would heat my entire house. 

Another I thought of is what you’re talking about with needing cash and lots of it. Most of us would be shit out of luck there. Most people get their money electronically via direct deposit. We will all be sucking hind tit without any access to cash. I can’t remember the last time I used cash for anything. Most stores won’t even accept cash anymore. Crazy times.

And there are so many people in this country receiving benefits like food stamps, Medicaid, and child care subsidies. That would be gone if the SHTF very quickly, and those people would really be in dire straits. 

@"kdog" 

I hear you on the retirement income thing. I retired at 55 and I just turned 58. I have cut way back on things like going out with friends and eating out, even more so than when covid was really bad. Driving? Forget that! Just cost me $50 to fill up my tank the other day. I try to limit my driving now, because I literally cannot afford to fill my gas tank more than twice a month. 

Getting any job would just go right to the nursing home, since I’m a community spouse. My income is limited to about $2800/month. Any more than that gets paid to the nursing home. That cost has also gone up significantly. So I spend a lot of time at home staying busy with my hobbies. Maybe some day things will get better again, and I’ll be able to do a little traveling. But I’m not holding my breath.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Merchandise and Food Shortages in a National Crisis - by ChiefD - 05-20-2022, 02:42 AM