Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Formerly “Extinct” Woodpecker Still Alive
(04-21-2022, 09:47 AM)BIAD Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 04:50 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: Many people misidentify the Pileated Woodpecker with the Ivory Bill as they are very close in appearance and habits. This is the most common problem with people proving evidence as eye witnesses or in photos. Apparently the vocalizations aren't any help in identification either. So ultimately the Pileated is close enough to not have lost too much as far as the extinction of the Ivory Bill goes. I admit it's terrible that lumbering and agricultural uses have killed off the Ivory Bill into virtual extinction, but as I have stated in my profile signature "greed kills". Besides extinction is the rule for the majority of Earth's history and we aren't immune, no vaccine for that.

I can see what you mean.
minusculethumbsup

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11345]
The Pileated Woodpecker with the Ivory Billed Woodpecker.

I've never compared pictures of the two birds like that. The Ivory Bill is very handsome, also the amount of white on the wings, the "ivory" bill and that black on the head crest is the biggest differences I can see. If you had close up hi-res pictures, then identification would be assured I should think. The pileated looks like the Ivory Bill's younger punk brother.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Formerly “Extinct” Woodpecker Still Alive - by Michigan Swamp Buck - 04-21-2022, 01:01 PM