Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nuisance Telephone Calls.
(09-12-2016, 06:27 AM)1984hasarrived Wrote: I find one that works for me is one I sadly had to use this summer.

I was at someone's house, and they had just died, so when I got a cold caller asking
"Can I speak to Mrs X please?" , in all sincerity I could say
"No, she is dead."

That was the end of every cold call - not even a sorry or anything.  They just hung up quickly.

We did that one a couple of times and you're right, it does work.

However, the calls we're receiving are supposedly from two or three companies that
-in fact, don't exist and so, are not burdened with any such moral guilt-tied decisions
to not call again.

Someone answers the telephone and since they're at that particular address and have
access to a telephone that must be paid for, it's deemed an area that can be exploited
by those who make the call.

General surveys to discover one's preferences can lead two ways -always assuming the
survey company is legitimate. They can amass information to look for trends that other
companies can use to 'push' their products in a certain direction or that gathered information
can be sold on to companies that tend to sell their products over the telephone and electronic
mediums.

But the fake survey outfits, their agenda is similar but their end-game is slightly different.
Their particular goal is within the presumed and hoped-for transaction.

Let's say I ask you a couple of questions orientated in such a way, that the queries imply
you enjoy frequent vacations to local areas near where you live. Maybe I can surmise from
your answers that you're of a certain age...(actually, they probably already have that info!)
... and that you tend to use a bicycle to get to these locations.
(I know this sounds zany, but please allow me!)

So, now the cold-caller can pass on that information to another, someone probably in the
same room as the alleged surveyor and they contact the person who answered the phone
-call and pretend to be an agent from a company that sells parts and appliances that can
only be used specifically on bicycles.

If the person who answered the call can be tempted to purchase an item, then the need
to acquire personal financial details comes into play and there... right there is the initial
reason you were first called.
It's a variation on the 'Windows Virus' scam.

Unknown to the cold-caller, I have an ailing Mother-in-law and she only has a landline
-based telephone to use, so without resorting to other solutions, we're sort-of at the
mercy of these swindlers' attempts.

These con-men are not interested in anything except someone answering their call.
But, when I do answer it and these idiots begin their speech, I feel I should be a
responsible adult and try out one of my characters.

We've done the 'dead member of the family'-thing and I even played that character
speaking from beyond the grave! The b*stards still chip on with "Well Sir, can you
spare just a couple of minutes of your time?"!!

When I respond that I have all of eternity to spare, it means nothing to them.
Their script -apparently, doesn't involve levity with the paranormal!
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 

Messages In This Thread
Nuisance Telephone Calls. - by BIAD - 09-02-2016, 11:36 AM
RE: Nuisance Telephone Calls. - by Daitengu - 09-02-2016, 01:26 PM
RE: Nuisance Telephone Calls. - by BIAD - 09-02-2016, 02:27 PM
RE: Nuisance Telephone Calls. - by gordi - 09-02-2016, 03:12 PM
RE: Nuisance Telephone Calls. - by BIAD - 09-03-2016, 09:32 AM
RE: Nuisance Telephone Calls. - by guohua - 09-02-2016, 08:19 PM
RE: Nuisance Telephone Calls. - by BIAD - 09-03-2016, 10:09 AM
RE: Nuisance Telephone Calls. - by Sol - 09-04-2016, 01:27 PM
RE: Nuisance Telephone Calls. - by BIAD - 09-04-2016, 06:12 PM
RE: Nuisance Telephone Calls. - by gordi - 09-04-2016, 10:12 PM