Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Prince Philip has Left.....
@"drussell41" 

I wonder if that isn't something cherry-picked by certain observers and repeated over and over.

A couple of things to bear in mind.

He was born in 1921 and witnessed the surrender of the Empire of Japan in Tokyo Bay as a naval officer when he was all of 24 years old.  By all accounts, he was very competent in the Royal Navy and only reluctantly left the service when Elizabeth had to step up her royal duties with the impending death of her father.  Why mention this?  Just to point out he was from another era.  The outlooks were different and the humor was at times harsh.  I recall my (European) mother making jokes at times that caused double takes from Americans who hadn't seen the things she had.  I had to rewire my own sense of humor because I had too much of her outlook in mine, and some of my colleagues felt their safe space had been invaded -- in the time before such notions were popularized by the Left.

The other thing I've heard is that he would deliberately make eye opening comments to "break the ice" in company that was mesmerized by the presence of Royals.  It was his way of taking the social tension down a notch.

The virus comment, seen in that light, was just a rough-edged joke the point of which was that people should get over themselves.  Not diplomatic and could easily be offensive to a given observer.  But, unlike all our 'celebs' today, he didn't give a shit.  Reminds me of Trump in one way.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Prince Philip has Left..... - by PLOTUS - 04-09-2021, 02:34 PM
RE: Prince Philip has Left..... - by Rodinus - 04-09-2021, 02:50 PM
RE: Prince Philip has Left..... - by drussell41 - 04-09-2021, 03:49 PM
RE: Prince Philip has Left..... - by OmegaLogos - 04-09-2021, 04:17 PM
RE: Prince Philip has Left..... - by Ninurta - 04-09-2021, 11:13 PM
RE: Prince Philip has Left..... - by F2d5thCav - 04-09-2021, 06:24 PM
RE: Prince Philip has Left..... - by BIAD - 04-11-2021, 02:26 PM