Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The difference between a book and a statue
(06-24-2020, 03:50 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 08:37 PM)Antisthenes Wrote: I have to wonder if a private citizen erected (no pun intended) a 15 foot stone phallus in a public Park with private funds, just how long it would be there before it was torn down. I choose to be empathetic to Black Americans and realize the only way these silly things are going away is to take matters into their own hands. It seems once destroyed, unlikely they'll be reinstated to their former position. Pragmatics and deep seeded frustration seems to be in play?

That would be an interesting experiment. I have no idea how it would pan out. Most all of the statues here are not on public land, they are on privately owned land. The town I grew up in had a "generic" Confederate statue (no particular commander or soldier, just a generic Confederate private standing guard and facing north) in the middle of town at the main intersection in the town - but it was on private land, planted there with private funds by the UDC in 1910 - when there were still a lot of Confederate soldiers left alive in their waning years. 

We don't have much in the way of public parks around here at all, and what few we have don't house statuary of any kind - that would defeat our purpose for having public parks. No one wants to play ball or fling a frisbee when there is a hulking chunk of marble in the way.

Perfect. Your property, your perrogative. At least that's my take on it
internet Agent Provocateur

Messages In This Thread
RE: The difference between a book and a statue - by Antisthenes - 06-24-2020, 04:24 AM
RE: The difference between a book and a statue - by Wallfire - 06-23-2020, 10:25 AM