Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The difference between a book and a statue
(06-23-2020, 08:10 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 08:00 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: I guess if we're discussing the Confederate effigies which would seem to be the lion share of what's being destroyed, my opinion would be if you want the thing on private property then that should be your right and business. But it also seems out of place to have them on public prooerty. I mean, they were seditionists so why would we have their presence on Public grounds. I can think of no other Country that has Statuary or Portraiture of people that commited treason against the present regime. I mean, I don't see any statues of the Shah in Iran?

I'm curious as to the route you took to work out "treason" and "sedition" - aren't those crimes committed against one's OWN government?

The Confederacy was not the US - that's why the US invaded them.

But they did in fact start out as States in the Union and declared themselves as being separate from that Union. So in effect they were repudiating their Statehood in that Union. They didn't have that right. Consequently, that makes them treasonous in my minds eye.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The difference between a book and a statue - by Antisthenes - 06-23-2020, 08:21 AM
RE: The difference between a book and a statue - by Wallfire - 06-23-2020, 10:25 AM