Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wicca.
@Ninurta.
An excellent view of how the Wiccan doctrine makes a fine vehicle for those who see the world through a particular lens.

I took a wander around the internet and perused the sites of traditional Wicca and its short evolution into something I was
vaguely aware of, but had never given it any focus. It seems that the belief system -as you pointed towards, has strong
connections with female empowerment via sentimental wordplay and astute biased-correlation of rational contemplation.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have been a mould-covered corpse in a gutter somewhere if it hadn't been for the woman currently
sat across from me and to say I should exalt her is certainly not enough, I simply worship her.

Men -real normal men, know the truth and no amount of satin-lined robes, copper bracelets to indicate one's grade in the
sect, embossed bound books and fat-assed candles can epitomise the female's role in who we are as a species.
In fact it's degrading to single women in out in this fashion. Yes, the Wiccan credo ‘harm none and do thy will’ makes sense
and should be left at that.
(Forgive my rant!)

Today, there seems to be a strong -but limited, urge to align traditional Wicca with something known as 'Progressive Wicca'.
A movement that in my opinion, involves assuring the interested that self-developing of one's spiritual strengths isn't enough
and that being one with nature, appreciating the mysterious side of reality and seeking harmony, are merely the mild-side of
Wicca is all about.

It seems that protests against exploitation of nature are welcomed, co-acting certain political attitudes in a style of 'mindset
-matchmaking' are common and that old favourite, purchasing favoured books that endorse a particular way of looking at
first-world societies is strenuously advocated.

Of course, not to stray too far from the conventional 'normie' concept of modern Wicca, words like 'Dragon, Silver Wheel,
Magic' and 'coven' are regularly sprinkled amongst a narrative that began about inner-self-development and shrewdly move
into opinions on the mismanaging of the planet with mild 'suggestions' regarding opposition.

A quote from a defunct magazine, Dragon's Brew:

Quote:"Progressive Wicca is a movement which spans the traditions and emphasises networking, closeness to nature,
personal growth and co-operative development.

Personal experience of other paths is welcomed and integrated into covens, and we do not slavishly follow a Book
of Shadows, as we see Wicca as an ever growing religion and the Book of Shadows changes and grows with each
new Witch."

Contact details for a number of covens were given in the back of each issue of the magazine.
The editorial stance of the magazine was actively supportive of environmental protection, detailing protests, distributing
leaflets and supporting organisations like Dragon (eco-magick environmental network) and Friends of the Earth Cymru
in their actions.

Campaigns like the ones to save Oxleas Wood and Twyford Down were covered, as well as events in other parts of the
world, like proposed wolf culling in Canada, tiger conservation in India, and anti-nuclear testing by the French in the Pacific...'
SOURCE:

But there's another side to this co-opted New-Age religion that seems to entwined -vine-like with what most outsiders would
perceive as a harmless faith of appreciating nature. I kept on looking around and found this site which comments on a one-time
friend of Gerald Gardner. An interesting man called Cecil Williamson.

Here's what Williamson -the once-owner of 'The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic' in Cornwall, UK, said in regards of Gerald
Gardner.

"A vain, self-centred man, tight with his money, and more interested in outlets for his nudist
and voyeuristic acivities, than in learning about authentic witchcraft."
SOURCE:

Cecil Williamson was assisted by Gardner when a version of the museum existed in The Isle of Man back in 1951 and what
I found fascinating -a trail that I will look at later, is that Cecil Williamson was hired by MI6 in 1938 to look into Nazi's occult
interests, presumably in Britain.

Wikipedia says about this:

Quote:'..In 1938, MI6 hired Williamson to investigate the Nazi's occult interests, and in doing so he formed
the Witchcraft Research Center. An April 1944 news report, while not mentioning the Witchcraft Research
Center, reflects their area of expertise in claiming Goebbels was going to 'harness fortune telling, astrology,
and necromancy to his propaganda machine'...'
SOURCE:

I know I'm straying from the thread subject, but Cecil Williamson was heavily involved in the British movie business, which
is said to be a propaganda machine itself! I can't help thinking of Angela Lansbury's character in 'Bedknobs And Broomsticks',
a witch in a small English village performing magic in order to thwart an invading Nazi menace!!

But getting back to Gardner and Williamson's comment about him...
couldn't this really be just about a way for an old man of seeing women naked?!
tinyhuh

Edit: Here's an interview with Gardner.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6117]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 

Messages In This Thread
Wicca. - by BIAD - 07-26-2019, 10:31 AM
RE: Wicca. - by Wallfire - 07-26-2019, 12:33 PM
RE: Wicca. - by Ninurta - 07-26-2019, 08:43 PM
RE: Wicca. - by BIAD - 07-26-2019, 09:38 PM
RE: Wicca. - by Ninurta - 07-27-2019, 12:22 AM
RE: Wicca. - by BIAD - 07-27-2019, 10:51 AM