Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Results of the UK's European Members Election 2019.
(06-03-2019, 06:30 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Well sir, with my imperfect understanding of what the EU is, or claims to be, that is EXACTLY what I think - but I'm always open to education. What IS it? What does it do? Does it not promulgate rules and regulations? Does it not have a central government or governing committee? Is there no one presiding over it? If there is, what is he or she called - what is their title? Are they elected, or appointed? Is the EU lawless, i.e. without laws? If so, how do they enforce anything at all? Of what use are they? Do they not collect taxes? If not, how on Earth do they fund themselves? If they do collect taxes, what happens if you tell them to go to hell, and get their tax collectors off of your lawn?

My experience of government has been bigger polities eating smaller polities, and thereby increasing their own size and power. Therefore I see the EU as an analogue to the US - a "national" government composed of member states, which are themselves further subdivided into smaller political units, like municipalities and counties - and that may be where I am going off the rails in my conception of it. Those larger states always make rules or laws that override the rules or laws of the smaller political units, and we generally end up paying taxes to all of the political units larger than our individual families, and being forced more or less to obey all of their laws and regulations.

Please educate me on what the EU is and/or does, so that I can get a firmer grasp on this situation....

Hi Nin!
Jings - How to educate someone on the EU??? uhhhm.... GREAT question!

OK - here's a good starting point in the form of an outline article by the BBC...

LINK to BBC HERE

Quick summary:
It grew out of the desire to make sure Europe wasn't engulfed in war ever again, by bringing European Nations together via trade & commerce shortly after the end of WWII.
It expanded quite quickly and became the "Common Market" where member states could freely trade their goods/services to one another.
It now has 28 members who have all negotiated their own membership deals.
It is administered / controlled by 4 bodies: the EU Parliament, Council, Court and Commission.
It is funded by contributions from the member states.
The contributions are largely based on the size/population of each member state with Germany contributing the most, then France, UK and Italy...
The EU spends its budgets on a variety of things from Research & Training, through Agriculture/Rural Development Funding to Financial Support for Poorer Regions and Defense.
It allows free trade/access to other members markets and free movement of citizens across the EU.

The UK, (like other members) has negotiated it's own deal to be a member of the EU.
The UK is therefore NOT bound to join the Euro (single currency) nor is it bound to abide by the decisions on migration etc known as The Schengen Treaty.

There is obviously a LOT more to it than that - but that's maybe the bones of it covered?
minusculebeercheers 
G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Results of the UK's European Members Election 2019. - by gordi - 06-03-2019, 12:46 PM