Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Results of the UK's European Members Election 2019.
I had to look-up the Barnett Formula and even though it's only from Wikipedia, it's seems there's
doubt in the equation. Personally, I have no current opinion and I need to look at it.

Quote:'...The Barnett formula is said to have "no legal standing or democratic justification", and, being merely a convention,
could be changed at will by the Treasury. In recent years, Barnett himself has called it a "terrible mistake".

In 2009, the House of Lords Select Committee on the Barnett Formula concluded that "the Barnett Formula should no
longer be used to determine annual increases in the block grant for the United Kingdom's devolved administrations...
A new system which allocates resources to the devolved administrations based on an explicit assessment of their
relative needs should be introduced."

Following the September 2014 Scottish independence referendum, the Barnett formula came to widespread attention
amid concerns that in a last-minute government bid to sway voters against independence, Scotland had been promised
continued high public spending....'
Wikipedia:

Again, I need to full appreciate both sides before I'd offer my opinion, but I certainly can already see how London
is always seen to benefit first. I would like to agree with Gordi that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are well
-behind in the queue for infrastructure funding, but here in the North-East of England is also well down on the list
when it comes to looking for help from the Government.

I'm not bitching for my corner, I'm just saying that there is correlation of a certain preference for spending by
the London-based Government, but I don't (or don't want to!)... think that it's connected to the Scottish and
Welsh public not being English.
I'd prefer to say it's about distance from the capital. 

Quote:How the formula works

The formula applies only to expenditure on issues for which the devolved administrations (as opposed to UK central government)
are responsible. Its principle is that any increase or reduction in expenditure in England will automatically lead to a proportionate
increase or reduction in resources for the devolved governments in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Analogous arrangements apply to categories of expense which are only controlled by some of the devolved governments.
The formula is not applied to all public expenditure, but is the default option if no other decisions are made. Expenditure is allocated
en bloc, not by service, allowing each devolved administration to allocate these funds as it believes appropriate.

Where the central government department funding covers England only
For areas of funding where the corresponding central government department funding covers England only, for example education
and health, the formula for funding to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland consists of a baseline plus increases based on the
increases in public spending in England in comparable programmes, applied in proportion to current populations:

Extra funding in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland = Extra funding in England x (multiplied by) population proportion compared
to England x (multiplied by) 
the extent to which the relevant English departmental programme is comparable with the services
carried out by the devolved administration.

For example, in 2000, the Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh populations were taken to be 3.69%, 10.34% and 5.93% (respectively)
of the population of England. For programmes in the Department of Health, the comparability factor for Scotland and Wales was 99.7%.

Therefore, if £1 billion was to be added to planned health expenditure in England, then the extra amount added to the Scottish block,
compared to the year before, would be £1bn x 10.34% x 99.7% = £103 million, and the amount added to the Welsh block would be
£1bn x 5.93% x 99.7% = £59.1 million.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Results of the UK's European Members Election 2019. - by BIAD - 05-29-2019, 08:37 AM