Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Results of the UK's European Members Election 2019.
(05-28-2019, 05:40 PM)BIAD Wrote: ...Again, I'm not batting for the 'sasanach'-side in this debate, but I was interested in knowing where the monies were
generated in Scotland. I only know the brochure-version and unsure about how the money from the oil was dispersed...

...Nope, it's not a rant and I know where you're coming from.
minusculethumbsup

My understanding is that around 83%-85% of all Tax revenues raised in Scotland (Including Whisky/Oil/Gas etc) are currently sent to Westminster. (The other 15%-17% is collected in relation to "devolved" matters and remains with the Sottish Govt.

All tax revenues sent to Westminster by Scotland, Wales and NI are added to the UK revenue "pot".

Westminster then works out how much it is spending on services in England (e.g. in NHS England) and uses the Barnett Formula to determine what percentage of that should be allocated back to the "regions" of Scotland, Wales and NI.

WM also decides for itself which services and projects are English and which can be deemed to be "UK".
ALL of the earlier projects that I mentioned (including HS1, HS2, Crossrail, Crossrail2) have been deemed by WM as "UK Infrastructure" projects, not English projects.
So Scotland, Wales and NI are forced to pay their share, but have NO SAY in whether the "UK" projects actually benefit them in any way.
It's the same for UK borrowing, UK Defense Spending and MUCH more... WM decides to spend (or borrow) whatever IT wants (wherever it wants) and charges the "regions" accordingly, whether the regions actually receive any direct benefit from that spending/borrowing or not - they don't have any say in it and monies are deducted from the UK tax pot to pay for the WM spending and borrowing.
Once the spending/borrowing has been suitably fudged... the Barnett Formula determines what funds are "allocated" back to Scotland and the other regions and it is broadcast in the media that Westminster is FUNDING the regions... when all they are actually doing is giving us a small percentage of our own tax revenues back after spending what IT wants from the overall pot.

regards
G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Results of the UK's European Members Election 2019. - by gordi - 05-28-2019, 10:13 PM