Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$25 Million Nationwide College Admissions Cheating Scam
I wonder how many went through before the scam was discovered?

Quote:Felicity Huffman handed jail time over college admissions scandal.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6359]
Felicity Huffman arrives with her husband William H Macy at John Joseph Moakley
US Courthouse in Boston.

'US actress Felicity Huffman has been sentenced to 14 days in prison for her involvement in a
college admissions scandal. The Desperate Housewives star admitted to paying $15,000
(£11,500) to have her daughter's exam answers secretly corrected in 2017.

She must also do 250 hours of community service and pay a $30,000 fine.

Parents and athletic coaches were among the 50 people charged in the scheme, but none of the
children were indicted.

"I am deeply sorry to the students, parents, colleges and universities who have been impacted
by my actions," Huffman told the Boston court on Friday.
"I am sorry to my daughter, Sophia, my daughter, Georgia, and my husband, Bill.
I have betrayed them all."

Judge Indira Talwani said she believes Huffman has accepted full responsibility for her actions,
but "trying to be a good mother does not excuse" what she did.
She must report to prison in six weeks. Prosecutors had asked for a month in prison and a $20,000
fine.

The parents charged in the college scam investigation allegedly paid bribes, had exams altered, and
even had their children edited into stock photos to fake sporting talents on applications.
Prosecutors say they managed to fraudulently secure spots for the teenagers at elite US universities
including Yale, Georgetown and Stanford.

Huffman pleaded guilty to mail and honest services fraud in May. She is the first parent sentenced in
the scandal. Her legal team had asked for a year of probation in lieu of jail time, 250 hours of community
service and a $20,000 fine.

But prosecutors wrote in a memo last week that "neither probation nor home confinement (in a large home
in the Hollywood Hills with an infinity pool) would constitute meaningful punishment or deter others from
committing similar crimes"...'
BBC: (More in link)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: $25 Million Nationwide College Admissions Cheating Scam - by BIAD - 09-13-2019, 09:08 PM