Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethiopian Airlines crash en route to Kenya
(03-21-2019, 02:50 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Here you go... proof.  This is what Field McConnell has been preaching about for years.
Finally, someone is reporting on it.

Quote:A GOVERNMENT official revealed that he and his team of IT experts remotely hacked into a Boeing 757 as it sat on the runway and were able to take control of its flight functions.

Read the article here: PLANE FAILING Boeing 757 controls HACKED remotely while on the runway, officials reveal

O.K. I read the article...Now let me explain something to you.. 737, 757, 767 and the 777 all use hydraulic assisted controls. When you put in a control movement all it does is direct hydraulic pressure to an actuator.. Only on fly by wire aircraft could the control systems theoretically be hacked.. 

Remember the stories about Mercedes accelerator being hacked or the windows.. can do as they are an electric computer controlled device.. Electronic Computers do not control the hydraulic Pressure and there are two devices one for the feel the pilot receives and one that regulates the pressure to the actuator, both mechanical.....no electronic computer is involved.. 

With a complete hydraulic failure (pretty hard to have unless it was a DC-10 which blew its' #2 engine and severed all the hydraulic lines or the aft pressure bulk head of a 747 that was not repaired correctly and blew out in flight which killed all hydraulic lines and even severed the manual reversion control cables.) Manual reversion control in the event of hydraulic pressure is lost.... move the small little tabs on the big control surfaces say down and the big control surface is moved up... Believe it or not that is what controlled the ailerons and elevators on the MD-80.. No hydraulic assist and the aircraft flew very well.. In the 727we practiced complete hydraulic failure and I do not ever remember crashing the aircraft.. For some reason I do not remember doing the same thing in the 737 so that either means we did not do it or is was of such small consequence that it just was not a big deal or I just forgot about it ? 

I do remember having to manually trim during an electrical failure but that is why there are pop out handles on the trim wheel.. 

Now having said all that could they possibly hack into the flight management system.. Maybe/probably.. The FMS flies the aircraft when the auto pilot is coupled. It has your route, departure/arrival procedures, and can even be used to land the aircraft in very bad visibility which is called a CAT 3 approach procedure.. We practices those procedures all the time as well as CAT 2 .. copilot monitors the progress as the Captain at 300 feet starts looking for the approach lights if no joy at 200ft you go around if the aircraft is not CAT 3... CAT 3 the FMS lands the aircraft.. slightly better than a controlled crash..hahahah

Either way unless the pilot is lazy you still have an approach/departure/plate (paper saying what to do) and even a map out during the flight. Besides the aircraft built in navigation systems (think GPS) we also have VORs, ADFs, ILS, which are all land based radio signals we can use to navigate with or land an aircraft..

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethiopian Airlines crash en route to Kenya - by Wallfire - 03-14-2019, 06:38 PM
RE: Ethiopian Airlines crash en route to Kenya - by 727Sky - 03-23-2019, 02:53 PM
RE: Ethiopian Airlines crash en route to Kenya - by Wallfire - 04-06-2019, 11:04 AM