Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
That Werewolf Close To Home.
Practically everyone has heard of the viking "berserkers" - meaning "bear shirts" - who were formidable foes at the average axe-fest. I believe it was a claimed berserker who held Stamford Bridge for a bit to allow the retreat of his fellows. What fewer have heard of is another type of viking warrior called an "ulfhednar" - the "d" has a little stroke on the upper stem that I can't replicate because I don't have an old norse font... and which, despite the viking DNA floating around in me here and there, I have no idea how to pronounce - which means "wolf skins". ETA: through the miracle of modern copy-paste, the word is spelled " Úlfhéðnar ".  Link

Ulfhednar were said to go into battle wearing nothing but a wolf skin cloak, taking on the character and ferocity of a wolf, and were alleged to be as formidable as berserkers, but perhaps more cunning. Some claimed that during the heat of battle, they actually shape-shifted into wolves, but that can't happen in the real world, right? RIGHT?

I note that Flixton, as well as several other sighting areas, are proximal to York. I further note that York was occupied by viking raiders during the time frame in question, and that the first mention of the Flixton beast was in 937 AD, around the same time.

Coincidence? Hereditary ulfhednar?

===========================

I also saw mention of "Black Shuck" in connection with the Flixton manifestations while researching it, albeit a peripheral connection. Black Shuck apparently made the trip across the pond some time during the migrations, and, according to my dear old grandpa, settled in these mountains I occupy now. Grandpa was a drinkin' man, along with most of the rest of my family, and swears that one night he ran into Black Shuck. As he staggered along on his way home, as the tale goes, he came to a bridge across the Little Kanawha River, and standing at the far end of the bridge was none other than a large black dog with glowing red eyes, guarding the egress and blocking his path - just gramps, the bridge, and the dog, and nary a Baskerville around to toss at the diabolical canine to distract it with!

Now gramps was in no mood for delay, as his spinning bed was calling his name, and so he announced the impending doom of the dog should it continue to thwart his advance with words to the effect of "aiight ya bastard! I've no mind to wet my feet by wadin' the crick, so I'm coming across the bridge. Iffen yer still there when I get to yer side, I'll disassemble yer sorry ass, and it'll be the worse for ya." and with that started his advance across the bridge towards the dog with a wide and wavering stride - to show he meant business, I suppose.

According to Grandpa's Tale, just as he passed the midpoint of the bridge employing his purposeful if jerky stride, there was a flash and a puff of acrid smoke, and the dog was simply not THERE any more... so he walked through the dissipating cloud of smoke and continued home.

I can't swear to the veracity of the tale, and there WAS a fair amount of alcohol involved, but there it is, as he told it.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
That Werewolf Close To Home. - by BIAD - 12-16-2018, 04:48 PM
RE: That Werewolf Close To Home. - by guohua - 12-16-2018, 10:55 PM
RE: That Werewolf Close To Home. - by BIAD - 12-16-2018, 11:01 PM
RE: That Werewolf Close To Home. - by gordi - 12-18-2018, 02:32 PM
RE: That Werewolf Close To Home. - by BIAD - 12-18-2018, 08:03 PM
RE: That Werewolf Close To Home. - by Ninurta - 12-18-2018, 06:32 PM
RE: That Werewolf Close To Home. - by gordi - 12-18-2018, 06:57 PM
RE: That Werewolf Close To Home. - by Ninurta - 12-18-2018, 07:20 PM
RE: That Werewolf Close To Home. - by guohua - 12-18-2018, 07:17 PM
RE: That Werewolf Close To Home. - by Ninurta - 12-18-2018, 07:23 PM
RE: That Werewolf Close To Home. - by guohua - 12-18-2018, 07:49 PM