Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The EU Army That They Said Wasn't Real.
OK, I'm SURE I'm confused now, and maybe just a little drunk. Just a little.

The EU has a paramilitary force? Now, I've nothing against paramilitary forces per se, having worked in a few of them, but why does the EU need one, and how does it justify having one?

It has become troublesome to me that the US has seen an increase in "paramilitary cops", what with the DHS having up-armored local police forces. Hell, even the podunk little town I live in has an armored vehicle supplied by DHS - it usually sits beside the road leading into town. It's problematic enough that I have developed  plans to defeat it, should it ever come into play against me or mine. The damned thing will be a puddle - together with everything and everyone inside it - within 5 minutes of deployment against us, if that ever happens.

This paramilitarization of the police started here in the early 80's, about the same time I was taking my police training. I have a simple rule - cops are cops, and soldiers are soldiers, and never the twain shall meet. One is either one or the other - cops do cop things, soldiers do soldier things. "Paramilitary" to me means "extracurricular military", not "police".

If the EU is just an economic combine, what is it doing training foreign national forces? Shouldn't that properly be the remit of individual national forces within the EU? I get that corporations like Vinell train national forces like the Saudi Arabian military, but that is a corporation, not an "economic combine" of several member nations, purely for economic advantage of a populace.

If the EU is actually a nation, with member states, shouldn't it be declaring a national military force?

I'm just not understanding what the EU is actually claiming to be, I think... or it may be a difference in my US-centric vs. Eurocentric view of how things work.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
The EU Army That They Said Wasn't Real. - by BIAD - 12-08-2018, 09:47 PM
RE: The EU Army That They Said Wasn't Real. - by Wallfire - 12-09-2018, 04:37 PM
RE: The EU Army That They Said Wasn't Real. - by Wallfire - 12-09-2018, 04:48 PM
RE: The EU Army That They Said Wasn't Real. - by Wallfire - 12-10-2018, 01:35 PM
RE: The EU Army That They Said Wasn't Real. - by Wallfire - 12-10-2018, 02:42 PM
RE: The EU Army That They Said Wasn't Real. - by Ninurta - 12-11-2018, 08:42 AM