Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What you going to do when the Earth Shifts?
A magnetic pole shift shouldn't affect GPS service, since the satellites are independent of the magnetic field. The end-user usually has to calculate magnetic declination if he's using GPS in conjunction with map and compass. The GPS service is oriented on geographical north rather than magnetic, and you have to make use of the declination diagram in the margin of topo maps to navigate via GPS and compass on the map surface.

Of greater concern is the weakened field, which most think is a precursor to a magnetic flip. That weakened field doesn't trap charged particles as effectively, and a solar burst during the time of a weakened magnetic field could fry electronics on the surface, potentially even closing down the power grid for years. We don't have enough equipment stockpiled to replace fried components, and without the power to produce more after the fact, it could be a long road home.

A few days ago NOAA sent me a provisional updated dataset for the world magnetic model that has not been released publicly yet. That is concerning.

A couple of years ago I created an animation showing recent change in the position of magnetic north, from 1590 to present. The magnetic pole spent centuries meandering around a small area, then about 20 or 30 years ago it started galloping in a straight line from it's position towards Russia, picking up speed as it goes, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if a flip occurs in the very near future.

You'll have to update the declination diagram on all of your topo maps by hand with a pen and protractor if/when that happens.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
RE: What you going to do when the Earth Shifts? - by Wallfire - 10-16-2018, 07:54 AM
RE: What you going to do when the Earth Shifts? - by Ninurta - 10-16-2018, 06:48 PM
RE: What you going to do when the Earth Shifts? - by Wallfire - 10-18-2018, 01:11 PM