Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Killer Fog and the Anticyclone
(06-04-2016, 03:50 PM)solarius Wrote: WOW...had never heard of this. Perhaps living in Montreal with very little smog has something to do with it. Great topic !

I know that smog is a major problem in China, India or even Mexico City but never stopped a second to realize the death toll it carries..

China for example:

Quote:Bad air contributes to 1.6 million deaths a year or roughly 17 percent of all deaths in China, according to a scientific paper recently published by independent research group Berkeley Earth. "For 38 percent of the population, the average air they breathe is 'unhealthy' by US standards," said the authors of the paper, Richard Muller and Robert Rohde. Moreover, some 92 percent of China's population experienced at least 120 hours of unhealthy air between April 5, 2014 and August 5, 2015, said the scientists.

http://www.dw.com/en/how-smog-is-killing...a-18653814

India:

Quote:results suggested that about 570,000 premature deaths in India were caused by exposure to fine particulate matter in 2011, and an additional 12,000 were caused by exposure to ozone. The most severely affected part of the country was the Indo-Gangetic region, which includes the northern strip of the country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ener...every-year

Nasty !   :stumped:

WOW is right! a half million every year just in India?! That's incredible. I didn't even think about the death toll worldwide before today. I see on the news every now and then stories out of China (like banning cars for certain days - especially before international visitors flock to the country). I remember reading about this: Beijing Car Ban  

But yeah, crazy crazy world sometimes. I heard about the London story on "Mysteries at the Museum" when I woke up this morning. I'm surprised I had never heard of it before.

Messages In This Thread
Killer Fog and the Anticyclone - by DuckforcoveR - 06-04-2016, 03:32 PM
RE: Killer Fog and the Anticyclone - by Sol - 06-04-2016, 03:50 PM
RE: Killer Fog and the Anticyclone - by DuckforcoveR - 06-04-2016, 04:03 PM