Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Millennial Couple Bikes Near ISIS Territory to Prove ‘Humans Are Kind’. Oops!
A tragedy indeed.

But...…

Quote:“I’ve missed too many sunsets while my back was turned. Too many thunderstorms went unwatched, too many gentle breezes unnoticed.”

First of all, that can be seen from your own home, if you take time to appreciate it.

Or if not, spend the weekend in a neighboring area to enjoy the beautiful sunset, thunderstorms.

Second of all, we all have to work to pay bills. Unless you come from a rich family to where one doesn't really need to work. 
However, many working people still  find the time to stop and 'smell the roses' so to speak. Especially when they have kids.

So IMO, that is a lame excuse. 
Apologies if that sounds harsh. 
Guess I don't fall for that "poetic" type of comment, that sounds like it came out of a book.  

Quote:“People, the narrative goes, are not to be trusted. People are bad. People are evil."

“I don’t buy it," he continued. "Evil is a make-believe concept we’ve invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans holding values and beliefs and perspectives different than our own... By and large, humans are kind. Self-interested sometimes, myopic sometimes, but kind. Generous and wonderful and kind.”

This is clearly the thinking of someone who doesn't get out in the "real world" often. Sounds like they lived a sheltered, protected life.
Which is cool. 

But leads to that naïve way of thinking.

All they had to do was, take a trip to another state every so often and several things they would have encountered:
  • they would have seen many a beautiful sunsets/sunrise
  • depending on the time of year and where, they would have run into many a storms to watch
  • also, as we have experienced in our days of travel, they would have run across our country's very own "bad, rude assholes"

I'm sure it would not have cost as much as it did to go to another country, had they been a tourist in our own country. 
So many beautiful and unique states.

And the chances of them being killed would have been slim to none. 
Not improbable, but slim.

Unfortunately, their naivety and ignorance of the real world, cost them their lives.

Quote:The couple documented their year-long journey on Instagram and on a joint blog.

As The New York Times 
put it, they shared "the openheartedness they wanted to embody and the acts of kindness reciprocated by strangers."

But then again, since they seemed to want attention, hence documenting their "year long journey" for everyone to see, it might not have garnered as much attention say if they went to Moab, Utah (which I love) or Tennessee which is gorgeous, especially in autumn.

Sadly, they were a couple who felt like they had to prove a point, only to find out they were wrong the whole time.
There ARE bad people out there.
That is not a lie.

Sorry if I sound like a hard azz.
Do not mean to offend anyone.
I'm just a realist who has seen a lot.
Sunsets and meanness both.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Messages In This Thread
RE: Millennial Couple Bikes Near ISIS Territory to Prove ‘Humans Are Kind’. Oops! - by senona - 08-17-2018, 03:43 AM