Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If You're Going, A Flower In Your Hair Won't Cut-It.
(02-20-2018, 12:03 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 06:49 AM)Grace Wrote: Here's my question. .. is it really that bad? Or is this a means to frighten the public into voting to raise already exorbitant taxes even higher? 

I don't know. . But I honestly cannot imagine that with the taxes those people pay they cant keep piles of drug needles and poop off the sidewalks. .. 

I agree they have a homeless problem, warm weather climates are more prone to collecting the homeless, but at the same time can it really be that bad?

I just think there could very well be an ulterior motive to this article. I've lived in areas of large cities in areas where there are lots of homeless, and never seen what was described in this article. They described a third world country.. not a city in America .

Just a question in my mind about that..

It could be -as you suggested Grace, a 'off-tangent' article to slowly bring the State's residence around
to seeing where taxes go and how they need increasing. It could well be.

I'm surprised that if it's a straight-forward report on the conditions of San Francisco's streets, it's a blot on
the immigrant narrative and the lib-journos didn't realise.

It sends a bad message for tourism considering this article is on the internet.

Well yes, it may as well be a travel advisory... they are warning you that you will be unable to walk down the streets of tourist areas without risking death due to an overabundance of HIV infested drug needles and feces that is nigh on impossible not to accidentally step on or inhale. 

Couldn't have a bigger "don't visit" sign on their door.. 

But your right - what on earth were they thinking putting out a travel advisory and how exactly did they expect the rest of the country to react? 

Thing is, if it's really at third world country level, then throwing money won't help.. what would be most helpful would be to find out, then deal with the root causes. 

I think they need to find out why homelessness has risen to that level in that area. 

Is it economic? Were these people once employed and now find themselves without employment on a large scale?  Has manufacturing dropped severely in that area and become the root cause?

Are many of these people employed and simply not making enough to afford housing? 

The cost of living in California has always been two to three times what the cost of living is in the rest of the country. Back in the 80's however, the pay compensated for that, you could make two to three times the pay there as compared to wages in other states.. So in reality it was about even back in the day. 

Has this pay verses cost of living become unequal? Has the cost of living risen much faster in the last decade than wages, making it difficult for even the working to keep a roof?

How many illegals are contributing to the homeless problem? 

How bad is the drug problem there, and is the drug problem contributing to homelessness on a large scale?

There are many things that could be found out, and the root causes attacked and dealt with, which would be far more helpful in the long run than trying to afford free housing for all the homeless without even an attempt to fix the root cause.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If You're Going, A Flower In Your Hair Won't Cut-It. - by Grace - 02-21-2018, 03:11 AM