Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jesus had a Wife!?
Convenient how they translate but one partial sentence. What does the rest say? What is the context that one bit of sentence is embedded in? I've got no problems with Jesus having been married, if he was. I'm not seeing how that would take the Church down. Most of the preachers at most of the churches I've been to were married, and it never rocked anyone's faith. They didn't fire 'em for being married or nothing.

I'm just not seeing how it would present a difficulty to Christians. I CAN see how it would be a problem for Catholics, since they don't allow priests or nuns or popes to get married (which explains why there are so many sex scandals among Catholics through the centuries - they can't, and don't have to - in fact are not ALLOWED to - stick to just one). But that's THEIR problem, not mine... and I don't for the life of me see how it would shake Jesus up and make him fizz. What does Jesus have to do with the Catholic Church other than maybe having a name plate in them here and there?

Can someone more religiously savvy than myself please explain to me how it would be a problem for Jesus to have been married?

The "Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene" thing was, as far as I can tell, started by Dan Brown in some work of fiction he wrote.

Christians are a funny lot. They read things into their Bible that are simply not there all the time. Another good one is the tale that Mary Magdalene was a hooker. I've not been able to find that in the Bible, yet there are Christians who will argue till they're faces turn purple that it was so. Might be, for all I know, but there's nary a shred of evidence for it.

And that BS about "God is love" and "God loves everyone"- where do they get THAT from? It is clearly written that "God loved Jacob, but hated Esau". Now, if God loves EVERYONE, but hated Esau, does that mean Esau was not "someone"? If so, how many other "not someones" are roaming this Earth? Logically, God cannot "love everyone" and "hate Esau" at the same time.

And that silliness about a "Trinity" - how do they torture THAT out of their Bible? Common sense tells us that if something dies, and is really, really dead, it can't very well raise ITSELF from the dead. So, if Jesus WAS God, and really, really died at the crucifixion, then their whole premise for salvation has to be a sham. It has to have failed. The Bible clearly DOES say that "the dead know nothing", and if someone knows nothing, then of course they cannot know how to make themselves UNdead. However, if Jesus was NOT God, but what the Bible actually claims he was instead, then it can all work out. In that case, it is possible for a God to have raised him, being an external being to himself.

I'm going to pop some popcorn and watch 'em running around screaming. This ought to be fun to see reality bump up against fantasy. One of 'em HAS to explode.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Messages In This Thread
Jesus had a Wife!? - by guohua - 12-03-2017, 10:53 PM
RE: Jesus had a Wife!? - by Mystic Wanderer - 12-03-2017, 11:13 PM
RE: Jesus had a Wife!? - by guohua - 12-03-2017, 11:24 PM
RE: Jesus had a Wife!? - by Sol - 12-04-2017, 02:53 PM
RE: Jesus had a Wife!? - by BIAD - 12-04-2017, 08:09 PM
RE: Jesus had a Wife!? - by guohua - 12-04-2017, 08:17 PM
RE: Jesus had a Wife!? - by BIAD - 12-04-2017, 08:22 PM
RE: Jesus had a Wife!? - by guohua - 12-04-2017, 09:03 PM
RE: Jesus had a Wife!? - by Ninurta - 12-05-2017, 03:37 AM
RE: Jesus had a Wife!? - by guohua - 12-05-2017, 04:07 AM
RE: Jesus had a Wife!? - by Ninurta - 12-05-2017, 08:47 AM