Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Ghostly Encounter in the House by the River
When I was around 20 years old I took a job as a caregiver for a woman who was in her late eighties; the family needed someone to stay with her on weekends, so I applied, and I was hired.

The old lady lived in a very secluded area in the woods off the main state highway, and next to a river. The house was a very large white two-story with a wrap-around porch, large yard, and the river flowing on the other side of the gravel driveway. The serenity offered by the flowing waters could be heard from the porch while sitting in a wicker rocker, or inviting porch swing. It looked very similar to this picture, except the front yard was huge, and the outside of the house was in better shape. Everything else about this picture reminds me of the setting so much! I was excited to get to work at such a peaceful place.

[Image: a59e1ae3615cc56788c1ff48d462b99f8b1d393f_1_500x500.jpg]

The house was probably built in the late 1880s. It had a large living room with a very large kitchen off to the right which had an entry door
at one end of the living room. The inside wasn't as nice as the outside. It was furnished in a style from the 1940s, and very dark.... VERY dark. Straight ahead on the other end of the living room were steps that led up to the bedrooms where I would share a separate bed in her room.

My first day there I felt like something was "off"; the atmosphere felt heavy, and I felt uneasy. That night before bedtime as we sat in the living room, I thought I heard pots and pans being moved around in the kitchen, like someone was cooking, yet I knew there were only the two of us there. I looked at her to see if she heard it, but apparently she didn't. I tried to brush it off and tell myself maybe it was mice in the cupboards; I knew it wasn't but I didn't want to freak myself out!

When she was ready to go to bed I helped her with her nightgown and led her up the stairs and to her bed. She went to sleep immediately, but I had such an uneasy feeling I could only lie there. I knew we weren't alone... I felt the presence of some invisible energy with us.
After lying there, maybe ten minutes, I heard heavy footsteps coming up the stairs! I thought my heart would stop! [Image: emoticon-surprised.png]

She was asleep and I didn't want to wake her, so I just closed my eyes and pulled the covers over my head. I heard the footsteps come into the room, walk to the side of my bed and stop. I felt it standing there staring at me for what felt like an eternity!
Then it walked over to the woman's bed; I never heard it leave.

I fell asleep at some point, but when I woke up I called the woman's daughter and told her I was sorry, but I couldn't stay any longer.
I made up some excuse... any excuse! I don't remember what I told the lady, but I didn't want to tell her I was leaving because she had a ghost in the house.

After cooking breakfast and doing the dishes, her daughter arrived and I was outta there!

I still remember the old house and my experience inside every time I drive past the turnoff from the main highway. What a frightening experience that was! 

Do any of you have a scary story to share?

Messages In This Thread
My Ghostly Encounter in the House by the River - by Mystic Wanderer - 05-25-2016, 01:37 AM