Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Massive data leak released: Panama Papers - The secret offshore world of the global e
Another bit of context and info....

This comes from RT, so credibility is always a factor in news sources...but this seems relatively breaking for the reporting to be sincerely mistaken OR pretty accurate at this early stage. We'll see, but this gives a hair more about background.

Quote:Germany’s Süddeutsche Zeitung (SZ) has released the biggest leak in journalistic history, posting 11.5 million documents from a Panamanian law firm online and providing “rare insights into a world that can only exist in the shadows.”

SZ said it received the law firm’s documents a year ago from an anonymous source who “wanted neither financial compensation nor anything else in return.”

The German paper obtained further documents in an investigation that followed, involving “400 journalists from more than 100 media organizations in over 80 countries.”

SZ said it decided to analyze the data in cooperation with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ).

Source (Emphasis with underline added by me)

Again .. just .. WOW!

.....and here is the response (or damage control out front, actually) of the Panamanian company:

[Image: mossak-fonseca.png]

The plot thickens....

Sadly, I'll bet more than one customer thought the date made it something less than serious, as the letter from them DID apparently land on April 1st. Oh Ouch.... No fools but the people claiming they had security, by how it looks. Over 2 Terra and 11+ MILLION documents isn't 'an Email server' or 'a small breach'. It sounds like they had the run of the place and ...assuming those represent 2+ Terra of UNIQUE data and not archives over archives (That is almost silly for an amount of data within the realm of text and document material) and duplicate files? It really sounds like hackers got their copy of original data for whatever they really wanted to get. 

The thing is..the stories also indicate that data started a year ago, but dates right into Dec. 2015, or in one example for a story out there, carries INTO 2016! So... was this a blind leak or a very active and ongoing whistle blower inside this Panamanian company?? 

Indeed.. This plot has a LOT to go for thickening, I'm thinking...and this all this started breaking in the past few hours by what I can tell for origins and time. It hasn't even had time to be seen by all the time zones it will come to impact in the coming weeks, months and perhaps even years. 

History in the process of being made, I do believe ... Interesting times.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Massive data leak released: Panama Papers - The secret offshore world of the global e - by Wrabbit2000 - 05-24-2016, 08:22 AM