Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Just Another Example...
This is just another example of how the media uses headlines to twist the truth.  I know we've covered this in past threads, but I'll keep on making threads and exposing them for what they are for as long as they keep doing it!   tinyok 

The Headline reads, Republican Legislators Propose a Series of Bills That Would Criminalize Peaceful Protests.

[Image: 1485178968-gettyimages-545728432-1485166213_3.jpg]

Now, if you actually bother to look at the article, it states, "According to The Intercept, several proposals have been introduced by Republican legislators over the past few weeks specifically targeting protests that block or obstruct traffic—including a North Dakota bill that would allow motorists to hit and kill protesters obstructing the highway "as long as [the] driver does so accidentally."

Yes, I agree with that. If they play in the streets, they might get killed by a car; it happens.  And, I'll also add that if I ever come across them blocking my path, I'll be one that does it!

And, in the first paragraph of this article they write, "While most of the world is still buzzing with positive energy from the Women's Marches on Saturday, several Republican legislators have been working hard to potentially make future peaceful protests a punishable offense."

My attention here is with them saying the woman's march is "buzzing with positive energy".  NOT TRUE, unless you are one of the misinformed women that agree with them.  (If so, I'm working on educating you here at RN.)   I've seen plenty of posts that disagree with the women's marches. Here is just one of them:

But, back to the topic at hand, here is another statement in this article:

Quote:Another bill in Minnesota would make obstructing a highway a "gross misdemeanor" punishable by a hefty fine of $3,000 and up to a year in jail, while a separate piece of legislature would make "obstructing the legal process" punishable by an even heftier fine of up to $10,000 plus "imprisonment of not less than 12 months." Similar bills designed to criminalize and discourage protests have also been proposed in Washington, Iowa, and Michigan.

As The Intercept points out, this "trend" appears to be a not-so-subtle workaround to the First Amendment, which states, "Congress shall make no law respecting...the right of the people peaceably to assemble." Furthermore, the bills seem to be in response to recent protests organized by Black Lives Matter and the activists fighting construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline—which is horrifying for a multitude of reasons, most notably the continued criminalization of black and brown people.

The very specific targeting becomes even more concerning when combined with what Slate reports is a "bracing message implicitly directed to supporters of the Black Lives Matter movement" from the Trump administration.
(Letters in red by me)

Source

Now, I'll try to finish up this thread without having my blood pressure cause me to black out!  Sigh...   smallnotamused

How many here think BLM puts on peaceful demonstrations?  Please raise your hand so we can see how many stupid people are reading this.

Let me educate you by first telling you that standing in the road and blocking traffic is NOT a peaceful demonstration.  By doing so, they are inflicting THEIR beliefs on the rights of others, and keeping them from getting to where they need to go. They could be blocking someone in need of getting to a hospital, or causing them to miss their plane, or any number of important reasons.  But, do they care?  NO!  There is already a law about this, but I'm not sure where to find it at this moment.

And now to the other sentence, "the continued criminalization of black and brown people" Oh please! Give me a freakin' break!
The Obama days are over!  You won't be able to use that "black card" now to get your way!  Thank god!!  Go find a safe place in a corner somewhere and cry your little eyes out!

And, for the rest of the article, I applaud Pres. Trump for going after BLM.  If you don't agree, PLEASE go speak with a psychologist; you have a severe mental problem that needs to be addressed!

I sorta got off topic from the beginning of the OP, but the point was, to show how the MSM twists the headlines around to make Trump look bad, then in this post they try to make him look bad for doing the job that the American voters voted him into office to do. 

Sometimes, I just have to shake my head and laugh at how ridiculous some people are.   tinylaughing

ETA: (Sorry, for changing alphabet colors.  It changed to where you couldn't see it on the white screen when I highlighted the quotes.  Is blue okay?
Actually, I think RED, White, and Blue are very fitting for this post.   tinybiggrin     )

Read the full article at the source link above.

Messages In This Thread
Just Another Example... - by Mystic Wanderer - 01-23-2017, 09:15 PM
RE: Just Another Example... - by BIAD - 01-23-2017, 10:35 PM
RE: Just Another Example... - by Mystic Wanderer - 01-23-2017, 10:50 PM
RE: Just Another Example... - by BIAD - 01-25-2017, 03:51 PM
RE: Just Another Example... - by Mystic Wanderer - 01-25-2017, 04:46 PM
RE: Just Another Example... - by Daitengu - 01-25-2017, 05:08 PM
RE: Just Another Example... - by Daitengu - 01-25-2017, 05:15 PM
RE: Just Another Example... - by 727Sky - 01-26-2017, 09:28 AM
RE: Just Another Example... - by BIAD - 01-26-2017, 11:39 AM