Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This place is perfect, Don't change a thing.
We've all been all over the internet, I think many of us have been around to see the various changes that have happened over the years and how communication has changed. The forum is well behind the times when it comes to all the new forms of "social media" with tweets, twits, pics and toks bombarding weak minds with all sorts of nonsense.

Forums, though, were the peak as far as i'm concerned, because they had the last sense of community about them.

It was a place where you still saw discourse, people butting heads, ideologies colliding, but the one thing they still had, was that small sense of community by way of the users. At the end of the day, we all knew one another, it wasn't a vast sea of a million random voices shouting into the dark.

I think of places like this, places I've been in the past and you can divide people into certain groups, certain thoughts, but when you are a small community, one thing stays the same. We are here, we are the few, that at the end of the day, and when all the disagreements are pushed aside.

We are better for being part of a small community of people who aren't just screaming at shadows in the dark, but discussing our thoughts with people who we actually KNOW something about, people we actually view as individuals.

In the end, after a hard days work, I like to think of places like this as a bar, when all is said and done, we all can step up there, order a drink and just find common ground about the stupid simple things in life, which in the end are the things we all share.

So they aren't really that stupid.
(09-26-2022, 06:08 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: We've all been all over the internet, I think many of us have been around to see the various changes that have happened over the years and how communication has changed. The forum is well behind the times when it comes to all the new forms of "social media" with tweets, twits, pics and toks bombarding weak minds with all sorts of nonsense.

Forums, though, were the peak as far as i'm concerned, because they had the last sense of community about them.

It was a place where you still saw discourse, people butting heads, ideologies colliding, but the one thing they still had, was that small sense of community by way of the users. At the end of the day, we all knew one another, it wasn't a vast sea of a million random voices shouting into the dark.

I think of places like this, places I've been in the past and you can divide people into certain groups, certain thoughts, but when you are a small community, one thing stays the same. We are here, we are the few, that at the end of the day, and when all the disagreements are pushed aside.

We are better for being part of a small community of people who aren't just screaming at shadows in the dark, but discussing our thoughts with people who we actually KNOW something about, people we actually view as individuals.

In the end, after a hard days work, I like to think of places like this as a bar, when all is said and done, we all can step up there, order a drink and just find common ground about the stupid simple things in life, which in the end are the things we all share.

minusculeclap

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(09-26-2022, 06:08 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: We've all been all over the internet, I think many of us have been around to see the various changes that have happened over the years and how communication has changed. The forum is well behind the times when it comes to all the new forms of "social media" with tweets, twits, pics and toks bombarding weak minds with all sorts of nonsense.

minusculebeercheers minusculethumbsup minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(09-26-2022, 01:00 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(09-26-2022, 06:08 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: I think of places like this, places I've been in the past and you can divide people into certain groups, certain thoughts, but when you are a small community, one thing stays the same. We are here, we are the few, that at the end of the day, and when all the disagreements are pushed aside.

minusculeclap

@"MisterSpock" So at this friendly neighborhood pub we're all hanging out at, you're buying the drinks, right?

Spocky boy really means this message of community and conversation whole heartedly as he phoned me late last night basically asking why so serious and bitchy/angry all the time and in offering explanations, it helped me realize that I don't need to take out all my worldly frustrations on the folks here and I should try to lighten up.

Having withdrawn completely from society and friends, with no other outlet for discussing or venting about the things that bother me or that I am passionate about tends to bottle up resulting in an unleashing folks here could do without. That's one reason I disappeared for so many months but upon returning, it seems I forgot about my tendency to be argumentative so I will try to be a bit more composed and friendly from now on with of course, not making any promises when my buttons get pushed on those topics most are aware are dear to my heart.

So if Spock is buying, I'll have some Jameson please and a beer. Make that two rounds of each and I might actually be nice!  tinybiggrin
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
(09-26-2022, 08:01 PM)Freija Wrote: So if Spock is buying, I'll have some Jameson please and a beer. Make that two rounds of each and I might actually be nice!  tinybiggrin

If you're gonna be nice ...

Nahhhh ... who are you tryin' to fool?

First rounds on me though. Spock never shows up 'til late.
(09-26-2022, 08:01 PM)Freija Wrote: @"MisterSpock" So at this friendly neighborhood pub we're all hanging out at, you're buying the drinks, right?

Spocky boy really means this message of community and conversation whole heartedly as he phoned me late last night basically asking why so serious and bitchy/angry all the time and in offering explanations, it helped me realize that I don't need to take out all my worldly frustrations on the folks here and I should try to lighten up.

Having withdrawn completely from society and friends, with no other outlet for discussing or venting about the things that bother me or that I am passionate about tends to bottle up resulting in an unleashing folks here could do without. That's one reason I disappeared for so many months but upon returning, it seems I forgot about my tendency to be argumentative so I will try to be a bit more composed and friendly from now on with of course, not making any promises when my buttons get pushed on those topics most are aware are dear to my heart.

So if Spock is buying, I'll have some Jameson please and a beer. Make that two rounds of each and I might actually be nice!  tinybiggrin

I have a huge family. I have four sisters and five brothers. The magic of growing up in a big family is that you usually end up with a huge range of personalities and temperaments.

I have a sister that is without a shadow of a doubt, the world's original Karen. I had to fight a many  battles growing up, cashing checks, my sister was  always writing. She has mellowed out with 
her old age, but she is still a bit crusty. 

Family is not always perfect, and not always their personal best, but is usually always better when you share the love.

Have a Jameson and a beer on me. 
minusculebeercheers

• minusculebeercheers 

(09-26-2022, 08:01 PM)Freija Wrote: @"MisterSpock" So at this friendly neighborhood pub we're all hanging out at, you're buying the drinks, right?

Here, here...

[Image: SnSgNgB.jpg]

[Image: shqY0eE.jpg]

And well said @MisterSpock
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

You're fine. Consider us your pressure relief valve. Venting is fine, too - it keeps folks from occasionally blowing up. The only thing is, we need to avoid directing the steam at any members, so as not to burn them too bad. But if it's directed at ridiculous concepts or a shitty world at large, have at it!

Tengo dos manos, así que dame dos cervezas por favor.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(09-26-2022, 08:31 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

I have a huge family. I have four sisters and five brothers. The magic of growing up in a big family is that you usually end up with a huge range of personalities and temperaments.

I have a sister that is without a shadow of a doubt, the world's original Karen. I had to fight a many  battles growing up, cashing checks, my sister was  always writing. She has mellowed out with 
her old age, but she is still a bit crusty. 

Family is not always perfect, and not always their personal best, but is usually always better when you share the love.

Have a Jameson and a beer on me. 
minusculebeercheers

I'm the youngest out of 4 siblings and 3 of us, get along just fine. Not a problem.

However....................

Our oldest sister, who moved to Seattle years ago to be around like minded people, is a whole other story.

Topics to stay away from when talking to her:
  • politics
  • weather     (leads to global warming hysteria)
  • politics
  • politics
Did I mention to stay away from POLITICS?!? 

OMG -- that woman can pout and give you the silent treatment better than any 5yo kid

As in, not speak to you for oh, I don't know -- say 5+ years or so
I kid you not

One time, we were having a civil discussion or at least it started off as such. And somehow, we got to discussing the weather, which led to pollution and what not.

Now she and I were on the same page, meaning we were in agreement.
Yet even tho she brought up Al Gore first, all was okay.

But the minute I said how Gore needs to practice what he preaches, stop being a hypocrite and not leave such a huge carbon footprint, that is when she changed and turned on me.

She started screeching into the phone, yelling at me.
I told her to calm down, that I basically agreed with her I just worded it differently, so why was she going off like that?

I now know what a screaming banchee shounds like --- she was hysterical and squealing, her voice was getting higher and higher. I thought damn, she's gonna blow, she's gonna blow

Next thing I know, she hung up on me -- HUNG UP!! ROFLMAO

I remember staring at my phone thinking WTF just happened?

Needless to say, she did not speak to me for 5 YEARS!
Or my other sister for that matter.
(not the first time she ignored our calls/texts tho...it's her style)

Never have I gone back at her until 2020, when I was kept from seeing my husband in the nursing home.
And supposedly he got covid (supposedly, they could not confirm nor deny being as the tests were not accurate) and yes, they gave him hydroxychloroquine (thank goodness)

She had called on my birthday and asked me about how I was doing with the shutdown.

All was going okay until I mentioned Jim being in the hospital but luckily, they had given him hydroxychloroquine and he was back in the nursing home (his dementia had progressed to where I could no longer take care of him by myself, so I found a really nice place for him a few months earlier)

She laughed and mocked me.
I was like, hey, what's up? What did I say wrong this time?

She basically thought I was too stupid to be able to say the word -- hydroxychloroquine -- and said that I had been talking to Margie too much 
(Margie works in a hospital as a physical therapist and yes, we are tight & talk all the time)

I was like no, I always have studied what meds Jim was on, so this was no different. I do my research. 
Always have.
(add in her laughter and mocking tone)

And yes, I know how to pronounce it correctly, because it was on the MSM nonstop

My first and only time, I called her a condescending BITCH
And that I had enough of her childish, immature and insecure BULLSHIT

And that I know she will give me the "silent treatment" and not speak to me for however long THIS time.
That I really didn't give a shit, because I was tired of her childish head games.

Yup, it was quiet for a long while.

Then out of the blue, one holiday, she actually answered the phone, which threw me off guard because I had already rehearsed the message I was going to leave her. LMAO
So I stammered around when she actually picked the phone up

What did kind of hurt my feelings in a way -- not sure if 'hurt' is the correct word, maybe disappointed is a better description..... 

Was when Margie called her to tell her about my Jim passing away
Of course, she didn't answer the phone, so Margie left a message

A few days later, I received a text with her condolences one night -- A TEXT !!
Could not even spare a few minutes to pick up the phone to call me but instead, opted for a formal condolence text
As if I were a coworker or associate, not her sister. Very formal and business sounding. smdh
I was like, just wow, okay....sorry we even bothered to tell you. 

Now, will she answer the phone this Thanksgiving???
Your guess is as good as mine. haha
I kinda hope not. LOL

But yeah, family can be dysfunctional for sure, but family we are.

And that goes for the Rogue Nation family too

Sure, have a fit, rant and rave. Whatever.
And in the end, let's go grab a beer   minusculebeercheers

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(09-28-2022, 01:52 PM)senona Wrote: I'm the youngest out of 4 siblings and 3 of us, get along just fine. Not a problem.

However....................

Our oldest sister, who moved to Seattle years ago to be around like minded people, is a whole other story.

Topics to stay away from when talking to her:
  • politics
  • weather     (leads to global warming hysteria)
  • politics
  • politics
Did I mention to stay away from POLITICS?!? 

OMG -- that woman can pout and give you the silent treatment better than any 5yo kid

As in, not speak to you for oh, I don't know -- say 5+ years or so
I kid you not

One time, we were having a civil discussion or at least it started off as such. And somehow, we got to discussing the weather, which led to pollution and what not.

Now she and I were on the same page, meaning we were in agreement.
Yet even tho she brought up Al Gore first, all was okay.

But the minute I said how Gore needs to practice what he preaches, stop being a hypocrite and not leave such a huge carbon footprint, that is when she changed and turned on me.

She started screeching into the phone, yelling at me.
I told her to calm down, that I basically agreed with her I just worded it differently, so why was she going off like that?

I now know what a screaming banchee shounds like --- she was hysterical and squealing, her voice was getting higher and higher. I thought damn, she's gonna blow, she's gonna blow

Next thing I know, she hung up on me -- HUNG UP!! ROFLMAO

I remember staring at my phone thinking WTF just happened?

Needless to say, she did not speak to me for 5 YEARS!
Or my other sister for that matter.
(not the first time she ignored our calls/texts tho...it's her style)

Never have I gone back at her until 2020, when I was kept from seeing my husband in the nursing home.
And supposedly he got covid (supposedly, they could not confirm nor deny being as the tests were not accurate) and yes, they gave him hydroxychloroquine (thank goodness)

She had called on my birthday and asked me about how I was doing with the shutdown.

All was going okay until I mentioned Jim being in the hospital but luckily, they had given him hydroxychloroquine and he was back in the nursing home (his dementia had progressed to where I could no longer take care of him by myself, so I found a really nice place for him a few months earlier)

She laughed and mocked me.
I was like, hey, what's up? What did I say wrong this time?

She basically thought I was too stupid to be able to say the word -- hydroxychloroquine -- and said that I had been talking to Margie too much 
(Margie works in a hospital as a physical therapist and yes, we are tight & talk all the time)

I was like no, I always have studied what meds Jim was on, so this was no different. I do my research. 
Always have.
(add in her laughter and mocking tone)

And yes, I know how to pronounce it correctly, because it was on the MSM nonstop

My first and only time, I called her a condescending BITCH
And that I had enough of her childish, immature and insecure BULLSHIT

And that I know she will give me the "silent treatment" and not speak to me for however long THIS time.
That I really didn't give a shit, because I was tired of her childish head games.

Yup, it was quiet for a long while.

Then out of the blue, one holiday, she actually answered the phone, which threw me off guard because I had already rehearsed the message I was going to leave her. LMAO
So I stammered around when she actually picked the phone up

What did kind of hurt my feelings in a way -- not sure if 'hurt' is the correct word, maybe disappointed is a better description..... 

Was when Margie called her to tell her about my Jim passing away
Of course, she didn't answer the phone, so Margie left a message

A few days later, I received a text with her condolences one night -- A TEXT !!
Could not even spare a few minutes to pick up the phone to call me but instead, opted for a formal condolence text
As if I were a coworker or associate, not her sister. Very formal and business sounding. smdh
I was like, just wow, okay....sorry we even bothered to tell you. 

Now, will she answer the phone this Thanksgiving???
Your guess is as good as mine. haha
I kinda hope not. LOL

But yeah, family can be dysfunctional for sure, but family we are.

Sure, have a fit, rant and rave. Whatever.
And in the end, let's go grab a beer   minusculebeercheers

No one can hurt you unless you care about them.

If you don't care about them you don't give a damn what they think or say.

But those that you love, have a way of pushing all the right buttons. Especially that one witchy family member.

Notice I said "w"itchy.

• minusculebeercheers 

(09-28-2022, 01:52 PM)senona Wrote: But yeah, family can be dysfunctional for sure, but family we are.

I'd sooner mend fences with folks here on the boards than a dysfunctional family member (my Mom being the last of those ... rest her soul).
(09-28-2022, 03:49 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 01:52 PM)senona Wrote: But yeah, family can be dysfunctional for sure, but family we are.

I'd sooner mend fences with folks here on the boards than a dysfunctional family member (my Mom being the last of those ... rest her soul).

Sounds a lot like my brother and our mom   (r.i.p. mom)

And he never had anything to do with her once he left home at 18yo
(she was abusive both physically/mentally to him)

Nor did he attend her funeral
Which I did not expect him to, I understood why

a.k.a. 'snarky412'