Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Pope Lick Monster
Today a couple of us old Rogues decided to take a short field trip to the infamous Pope Lick Trestle, home of the Pope Lick Monster- aka Goatman.

Quote:In most accounts, the Pope Lick Monster (named after the Pope Lick Creek below the Pope Lick Train Trestle) appears as a human-goat hybrid with a grotesquely deformed body of a man. It has powerful, fur-covered goat legs, an alabaster-skinned face with an aquiline nose and wide set eyes. Short, sharp horns protrude from the forehead, nestled in long greasy hair that matched the color of the fur on the legs.

Numerous urban legends exist about the creature's origins and the methods it employs to claim its victims. According to some accounts, the creature uses either hypnosis or voice mimicry to lure trespassers to the tressle to meet their death before an oncoming train. Other stories claim the monster jumps down from the trestle onto the roofs of cars passing beneath it. Yet other legends tell that it attacks its victims with a blood-stained ax. It has also been said that the very sight of the creature is so unsettling that those who see it while walking across the high trestle are driven to leap off.

Since I moved to Louisville over 8 years ago there have been several deaths due to people falling from the trestle or jumping from it due to oncoming trains so access is fenced off, however the gate is bent where those with more bravery than brains have squeezed through to try their luck. Such sad occurrences are usually chalked up to poor judgement and alcohol especially since the train tracks are still very active. There is a makeshift memorial set up by those who have lost loved ones who tested the urban legend and lost.

We drove and walked under it but were not accosted by Goatman but judging by the amount of coon berries and fresh water running in the crystal clear creek I'm certain a lot of wildlife is attracted to the area at night which might account for stories of movement and sounds coming from the trees and bushes that line the road. The only voices we heard were those of friendly bicyclists- and they were abundant.

A link for those interested in reading more about the Goatman:
Pope Lick Monster/ Cryptid Wiki

And now some pics!

[Image: MXPoZY2.jpg]
[Image: XGjrSts.jpg]
[Image: 9qKG0EF.jpg]
[Image: 5NFczIt.jpg]
[Image: B2sZ7aB.jpg]
[Image: gw6z9he.jpg]
[Image: OGhbdhi.jpg]
[Image: JPcGZ84.jpg]

Planning our next field trip already to the Louisville Witch Tree- if I can wrangle Kdog out of the house again anytime soon! lol! 
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
Pretty area... Next headline will be the trestle breaks as a train is crossing ... Investigation says the trestle was weakened due to traces of goat and human piss... I am surprised they have not refurbished the bridge.. Even some paint would help stop the oxidation ...
(09-02-2022, 11:59 PM)727Sky Wrote: Pretty area... Next headline will be the trestle breaks as a train is crossing ... Investigation says the trestle was weakened due to traces of goat and human piss... I am surprised they have not refurbished the bridge.. Even some paint would help stop the oxidation ...

Believe it or not that thing is a heck of a lot sturdier than it looks. There was a train going over when we got to it, we even went under as a train was on it- nothing fell off. No dust/dirt, no flakes of rust, etc. I didn't hear any creaking, cracking or popping, no shaking. I was very surprised at how sturdy it is considering how decrepit it appears.
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
I love the pics! That place looks pretty and spooky at the same time.
(09-03-2022, 02:54 AM)VioletDove Wrote: I love the pics! That place looks pretty and spooky at the same time.

Exactly what I thought.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(09-02-2022, 11:35 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Today a couple of us old Rogues decided to take a short field trip to the infamous Pope Lick Trestle,
home of the Pope Lick Monster- aka Goatman.

Just a bump for the spooky season and an add-on!

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(10-31-2022, 12:14 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(09-02-2022, 11:35 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Today a couple of us old Rogues decided to take a short field trip to the infamous Pope Lick Trestle,
home of the Pope Lick Monster- aka Goatman.

Just a bump for the spooky season and an add-on!

Believe it or not we actually watched this last night! When it happened we kept up with the story on the local news so here's the tea: What the video fails to mention is that while having dinner before their little adventure the couple imbibed many adult beverages and were sloshed. In fact the vast majority of deaths at the site were directly attributable to people exercising extremely bad judgement due to being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs or in a few cases teenagers on dares with more bravado than common sense. 

Unfortunately since I have lived here there have been no reports of anyone being axed to death by the Goatman... but I keep my fingers crossed just in case!