Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Feral Hogs and night vision
For those who think of feral hogs/pigs as just another cute fury animal I suggest you do not watch the following video.

The reason I am posting this is two fold. I used to hunt pigs at night with a night vision scope and was quite successful at hitting my targets. The word gets out and the next thing you know you get invited to more hunts than you can handle.  But that is not why I am posting this video.

I am posting to show the quality of the night vision equipment... even Rambo who have a problem if facing an enemy with this type of equipment IMO.
Wondering why that video will not resolve. Have you got a simple URL to link?
(08-28-2022, 02:46 PM)Snarl Wrote: Wondering why that video will not resolve. Have you got a simple URL to link?
https://youtu.be/FW3k80Vuq34  or just type in the title of " Texas hunter eliminates hundreds of feral hogs" on youtube
(08-29-2022, 03:15 AM)727Sky Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 02:46 PM)Snarl Wrote: Wondering why that video will not resolve. Have you got a simple URL to link?
https://youtu.be/FW3k80Vuq34  or just type in the title of " Texas hunter eliminates hundreds of feral hogs" on youtube

I have a bunch of wild boar in my back 40. As do most folk out here in the woods. Folks hunt them further out, but most just let them be, even though they can make a mess on occasion when rooting through your garden.

We also have the rare Florida panther visit. Not allowed to shoot the Panthers. Coyotes and Bobcat, are very common and they are fair game, but will do nothing to decrease the population.

They have the night hunters further out also, but I don't know what kind of equipment they use.

I don't mess with any of them. That may be why they all treat my property like a sanctuary. Even my neighbor's critters like hanging out here. They will walk over a mile, past several properties, to hang out on my property and at my pond.

Go figure.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Thanks, Brother. Best aspect was shooting through standing trees.

Makes one wonder how the feral hog problem got so bad almost. People are making LOTs of money off guided hunts for 'em down in Texas.
I remember catching a Myth Buster episode where they used a foam board insulation sheet to hide their infrared heat signature and get past a security camera. Eventually I looked into different methods to hide or obscure a heat signature, but never looked into much footage of situations where the cameras are in use. In that video the low light equipment seems just as good while there is enough light to use them, better even.

If you totally block your heat signature, the shadow or void you create is a give away, so it would be better to obscure your heat signature with a camo pattern that blends the heat into the background. It seems that with the low light optics, camo is absolutely necessary.

In both cases I notice that the woods and thickets in the far background couldn't be looked through and acted like a wall. This equipment was working best in the open, so that supports the idea that planes, choppers, drones and other high up perspectives would be harder to hide from under trees, thickets and other natural cover.

Now, if you were trying to hide from an enemy that is using this equipment and you were using the same, it could even the playing field considerably. I wonder how effective standard issue military camo is? What about ghillie suits?
(08-29-2022, 02:40 PM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: I wonder how effective standard issue military camo is? What about ghillie suits?

I've got an AN PVS-14 (plus a bump helmet with the required trimmings) ... standard low-end night vision. IMNSHO, night vision is a game changer. Problem is, a low-end setup will set you back thousands of dollars. People bought up a lot of it a couple of years back.  They may be looking to sell it these days.  You might find a really good deal.

Military camo doesn't matter.  Anyone who knows how to use a ghillie suit is a threat because they have an upgraded skill-set. You could see 'em easily if they stood up and started walking though.
(08-29-2022, 04:58 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

I have a bunch of wild boar in my back 40. As do most folk out here in the woods. Folks hunt them further out, but most just let them be, even though they can make a mess on occasion when rooting through your garden.

We also have the rare Florida panther visit. Not allowed to shoot the Panthers. Coyotes and Bobcat, are very common and they are fair game, but will do nothing to decrease the population.

They have the night hunters further out also, but I don't know what kind of equipment they use.

I don't mess with any of them. That may be why they all treat my property like a sanctuary. Even my neighbor's critters like hanging out here. They will walk over a mile, past several properties, to hang out on my property and at my pond.

Go figure.

Would love to see some pics of the animal sanctuary. 
I have sort of the same thing. Critters everywhere. I do nothing special but give them habitat and leave them alone. Mother nature does the rest.
(08-29-2022, 08:19 AM)Snarl Wrote:

Makes one wonder how the feral hog problem got so bad almost. People are making LOTs of money off guided hunts for 'em down in Texas.

I wonder the same too. Most places have 24/7 season and no limit. 

I have never ate a wild pig but I imagine the smaller ones are pretty good.
(08-30-2022, 10:30 PM)ABNARTY Wrote:
(08-29-2022, 08:19 AM)Snarl Wrote:

I wonder the same too. Most places have 24/7 season and no limit. 

I have never ate a wild pig but I imagine the smaller ones are pretty good.

Had some when I was stationed in Hawaii. It was really delicious. I doubt most people would prepare it the way the Hawaiians did ... and ... it was a smallish pig ... not much meat to go around.

ETA: Vicious little bastards too.  LOL