Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Protein tweak makes CRISPR gene editing 4,000 times less error-prone
Explanation:  Wow! Amazing!!! ...

Protein tweak makes CRISPR gene editing 4,000 times less error-prone 

Quote:The CRISPR gene-editing system is a powerful tool that could revolutionize medicine and other sciences, but unfortunately it has a tendency to make edits to the wrong sections of DNA. Now, researchers at the University of Texas at Austin have identified a previously unknown structure of the protein that drives these mistakes, and tweaked it to reduce the likelihood of off-target mutations by 4,000 times.

Quote:To their surprise, they discovered a strange finger-like structure that had never been observed before. This finger reached out and stabilized the DNA sequence so the protein could still make its edit.

Having uncovered this mechanism, the team tweaked this finger so that it no longer stabilized the DNA, instead pushing away from it. That prevents Cas9 from editing that sequence, making the tool 4,000 times less likely to produce off-target mutations. The team calls the new protein SuperFi-Cas9.

Other teams have also created different versions of Cas9 to make it more accurate, but these often slow down the intended edits. The UT researchers say that SuperFi-Cas9 can still make its normal edits at the same speed as usual.

So far, SuperFi-Cas9 has only been tested in DNA in test tubes but the researchers next plan to demonstrate it for gene-editing in living cells.

Personal Disclosure: THAT ^^^!!! Goes with THIS ===> ...

Our Bodies Age in Three Distinct Shifts, According to More Than 4,000 Blood Tests

And fixes this ===> ...

According to Genetics, at age 47, I am already dead!

By improving this ===> ...

I want the JAB! Give Me The JAB!

Cheers!   minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
Can anyone imagine what will be done in the future to the human stock or other stock upon the Earth ? Maybe good maybe bad but either way it will be.
I think I'll keep my DNA just the way it is. I don't want to live here forever, I have other world shit to do!
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]