Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Shotgun Boom Bang
I saw some Shout Box chatter this a.m. and wanted to post a recommendation for anyone considering a shotgun for purchase.

I did a Lot of research before my last purchase.  Disclaimer: As a lefty, I am somewhat constrained.  I don't think so in this case, but there 'could' have been some options left unconsidered, before dropping coins all over.

The Benelli M2 Field 

I know some folks worry about 'the kick' a shotgun produces.  We're talking about a semi-auto here, and the takeaway is ... when the action cycles after pulling the trigger, most of the recoil is used-up and doesn't slam into your shoulder.  Because of that, this firearm rates as one of the lightest (felt) recoiling firearms I own.  My .45 1911 pistola probably generates more recoil.  My ARs produce more.

If you're serious about buying a shotgun, consider the M2's versatility in the video above.  There's a reason this shotgun is preferred by competitors and hunters alike.  And, if you're a righty, and you want to buy one of these all setup, Taran Tactical is the place to shop.  Pricey, but you only cry once if you only haft'a buy once.

As for my own experience: I love the shotgun.  Shotguns are the 'funnest' firearms to shoot.  I shoot trap & skeet & sporting clays.  Hard to describe the satisfaction that come with pulling the trigger and seeing your target disintegrate ... and knowing you're 'that good'.  I hunt all kinds of birds ... and a bag full of squirrels is what you need for the best Brunswick Stew you'll ever taste.  There are shotgun 'activities', and the people who gather for them, are some of the best folks I've ever met.

I'll just shut up now.   minusculebeercheers
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(03-25-2022, 01:24 PM)Snarl Wrote: I saw some Shout Box chatter this a.m. and wanted to post a recommendation for anyone considering a shotgun for purchase.

I did a Lot of research before my last purchase.  Disclaimer: As a lefty, I am somewhat constrained.  I don't think so in this case, but there 'could' have been some options left unconsidered, before dropping coins all over.

The Benelli M2 Field 

I know some folks worry about 'the kick' a shotgun produces.  We're talking about a semi-auto here, and the takeaway is ... when the action cycles after pulling the trigger, most of the recoil is used-up and doesn't slam into your shoulder.  Because of that, this firearm rates as one of the lightest (felt) recoiling firearms I own.  My .45 1911 pistola probably generates more recoil.  My ARs produce more.

If you're serious about buying a shotgun, consider the M2's versatility in the video above.  There's a reason this shotgun is preferred by competitors and hunters alike.  And, if you're a righty, and you want to buy one of these all setup, Taran Tactical is the place to shop.  Pricey, but you only cry once if you only haft'a buy once.

As for my own experience: I love the shotgun.  Shotguns are the 'funnest' firearms to shoot.  I shoot trap & skeet & sporting clays.  Hard to describe the satisfaction that come with pulling the trigger and seeing your target disintegrate ... and knowing you're 'that good'.  I hunt all kinds of birds ... and a bag full of squirrels is what you need for the best Brunswick Stew you'll ever taste.  There are shotgun 'activities', and the people who gather for them, are some of the best folks I've ever met.

Very nice and a great recommendation.

I'm still sporting my old Mossberg Semi 12ga, weighs a ton but after over 20 years with it I'm kind of partial.

My older brother likes Benelli's and has nothing but good to say about his.

minusculebeercheers

[Image: new-logo-mini.png][Image: pc-mini.png]

The Shit Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Shit Tree - Jim Lahey speaking about Trudeau

(03-25-2022, 01:43 PM)MykeNukem Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 01:24 PM)Snarl Wrote: The Benelli M2 Field

I'm still sporting my old Mossberg Semi 12ga, weighs a ton but after over 20 years with it I'm kind of partial.

I ran an 870 (Remington) that was a boat anchor.  Handed it down to my son in favor of the southpaw Benelli.  It pleases me that it remains a family heirloom, but I don't miss ejected shells flying in front of my face.

I almost threw the M2 over my shoulder the first time I picked it up.  The weight difference is that dramatic.  Even after more than 5 years, it surprises me still how lightweight the thing is.

As for swapping for the sake of swapping, I wouldn't recommend that unless you shoot enough to make the new one an extension of yourself.  I buy birdshot by the flat or the case (even a pallet or two when the price is right).  Four rounds of clays at least every week.  I still call that a $25 weekend ... even though the prices are at about triple what I paid.

I don't keep a lot of shells on-hand for hunting.  Went up to the gun show for some pheasant loads and dropped a hundred bucks on a flat (10 boxes).  I needed them at the time, but reaching for the wallet was a hard thing to do.  Turned out they were of superior quality ... so there's that.
You better run!
Times are so different now. My Dad taught me how to fire and respect guns starting when I was eight years old.

Keep in mind that an eight year old back then is comparable to a sixteen year old today. I am going to have to tell you a funny story about a shotgun and my silly, rebellious, eight year old self when I have more time.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

That Benelli is a really good shotgun. Most of the 3 gun shooters use it. 

I have had 870's my whole life and love their simplicity. But...

I used to work at a range and recently tried the Tristar G2 Sporting. Fell in love with it. The price is reasonable and you get a lot with the gun. 

However, I have had to cut back on shooting a lot lately due to costs and reloading supply shortages. Kind of depressing.
(03-25-2022, 03:49 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: I used to work at a range and recently tried the Tristar G2 Sporting. Fell in love with it. The price is reasonable and you get a lot with the gun. 

However, I have had to cut back on shooting a lot lately due to costs and reloading supply shortages. Kind of depressing.

Ain't it?

I prefer making my own ammunition.  I know exactly what I'm getting then.  A friend of mine almost talked me into reloading for shotgun.  What stopped me was the bulk storage of hulls and wads ... maybe the price of lead shot too (which was overpriced even before the shortages IMO).  Now it's almost too late to get into it.

Never looked at the Tristar.  It's got good reviews out there though.  Always a better review ... when it comes from someone not getting paid to advertise.
You better run!
New toys are always exciting! Congrats!

Here is something my old pawpaw told me, he was a groovy old dude:

"The best gun is the one you have handy when you need one."

minusculeuzi
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
Benelli makes nice guns. The fact it is lightweight and less kick than your typical shotgun is a great selling point. I have an 870 I love more than my 11-87 Remington. My dad recently passed and I took possession of his double barrel Remington I think is a Peerless. That thing is very heavy with a helluva kick.
I agree I love shotgunning too. Sporting clays and trap shooting. Although around here there isn't too many places to go to do sporting clays or trap shooting. You have to join a gun club or hunting club typically to gain access.
Benelli needs to hire you Snarl. You wrote the post like it was a sales brochure! Nice work!
ALL OUR HEROES ARE WHORES

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES

ACTION ALWAYS OUTWEIGHS WORDS

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IS NECESSARY
I must hang my head in shame….don’t even own a shotgun….I know I know.

Some day I hope to pick up an M4 though. No hunting just self defense and general enjoyment. Will go with my AR pistol and lots of pistols pistols.

tinycool
"Earth - Mostly Harmless" ~ The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
(03-25-2022, 01:24 PM)Snarl Wrote: I saw some Shout Box chatter this a.m. and wanted to post a recommendation for anyone considering a shotgun for purchase.

The Benelli M2 Field 

No doubt that Benelli makes fine rifles and shotguns. My only problem is that I'm a cheap bastard and can't seeing paying what they get for Benelli's vs other Mfg's whose firearms work just as well. That goes for other mfg'ers as well.

That's like Chevy and Infinity SUV's, Infinty's are extra nice rides compared, I just can't bring myself to pay what they want for one.
[Image: TWBB.png]

(03-25-2022, 04:55 PM)CJinTX Wrote: I must hang my head in shame….don’t even own a shotgun….I know I know.

Some day I hope to pick up an M4 though. No hunting just self defense and general enjoyment. Will go with my AR pistol and lots of pistols pistols.

tinycool

Home defense weapon IMO should be a shotgun vs a rifle or pistol, almost guaranteed to hit what you aim/point it at and don't have to worry about over penetration thru walls and such. But that's just me.
[Image: TWBB.png]

(03-25-2022, 05:11 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 04:55 PM)CJinTX Wrote: I must hang my head in shame….don’t even own a shotgun….I know I know.

tinycool

Home defense weapon IMO should be a shotgun vs a rifle or pistol, almost guaranteed to hit what you aim/point it at and don't have to worry about over penetration thru walls and such. But that's just me.
My go to has always been a 1911 in .45 ACP with a light on it. Very comfortable with it. Also unless you are using birdshot you can over penetrate with a shotgun pretty easily.

As is always the case, the best weapon for the job is one you are familiar with and can deploy effectively and competently.
(03-25-2022, 05:07 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 01:24 PM)Snarl Wrote: The Benelli M2 Field

No doubt that Benelli makes fine rifles and shotguns. My only problem is that I'm a cheap bastard and can't seeing paying what they get for Benelli's vs other Mfg's whose firearms work just as well. That goes for other mfg'ers as well.

I hate parting with $$$.  The M2, though, was a great investment because I'm a lefty.  I figure I ain't takin' it with me ... might as well enjoy spending some of it on myself.  Lord knows the wife can blow through piles of it when she travels.

When she gets back from her next trip, I hope she doesn't notice the new lever gun I'm after at the moment.  Pre-buying all the reloading components for it first week of April.
You better run!
(03-25-2022, 05:21 PM)CJinTX Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 04:55 PM)CJinTX Wrote: Some day I hope to pick up an M4 though. No hunting just self defense and general enjoyment.

Home defense weapon IMO should be a shotgun vs a rifle or pistol
Also unless you are using birdshot you can over penetrate with a shotgun pretty easily.

As is always the case, the best weapon for the job is one you are familiar with and can deploy effectively and competently.

Take a minute to watch this:
You better run!

tinycool

My go to has always been a 1911 in .45 ACP with a light on it. Very comfortable with it. Also unless you are using birdshot you can over penetrate with a shotgun pretty easily.

A shooting range near me has a suppressed .45 1911.  That was the smoothest-firing pistol I've ever shot.  I'm a mediocre shooter, but I was putting those bullets wherever I wanted.  It felt like shooting a .22, it was amazing.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
Speaking of Benelli...I had the opportunity to meet, and shoot with, Tom Knapp once.  Absolutely great guy!

What a treat that was!!  Pheasant hunting in Winona, Kansas.  Even saw him miss a couple birds.  LOL!  Gave him some shit about that over beers later too.  Told him he should be shooting with a Browning!  LOL!

Very fortunate to have had that opportunity, and something I will always remember.
(03-25-2022, 05:41 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 04:55 PM)CJinTX Wrote: Some day I hope to pick up an M4 though. No hunting just self defense and general enjoyment.

Home defense weapon IMO should be a shotgun vs a rifle or pistol
Also unless you are using birdshot you can over penetrate with a shotgun pretty easily.

Take a minute to watch this:
Good video.

Reason I default to a handgun is the AR is a relatively new purchase and with economy and lack of time I have not run it enough I feel comfortable and confident with it for home defense. 1911 is a different story all together.

Also my AR pistol has that same red dot….hehe
(03-25-2022, 04:01 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 03:49 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: I used to work at a range and recently tried the Tristar G2 Sporting. Fell in love with it. The price is reasonable and you get a lot with the gun. 

Ain't it?

I prefer making my own ammunition.  I know exactly what I'm getting then.  A friend of mine almost talked me into reloading for shotgun.  What stopped me was the bulk storage of hulls and wads ... maybe the price of lead shot too (which was overpriced even before the shortages IMO).  Now it's almost too late to get into it.

Never looked at the Tristar.  It's got good reviews out there though.  Always a better review ... when it comes from someone not getting paid to advertise.

Before the prices started going insane, it was a reasonable gun - for me anyway. It sits about $575 - $600 now. 

Really nice. Came with a set of chokes. Smooth action. Reliable. Great big bolt release button. Not taking anything away from the Benelli of course. But the way Remington's have been going the last few years, I cannot see paying their prices. Not worth it IMHO. Now, older models if you can find them? Still a good deal.  

Now I sit on my ammo  tinysure  Worried it's only gonna' get worse. Same with reloading supplies. And it's always primers or powder (same for rifle/pistol). Hulls, wads, and shot are normally easier to find. It seems they are trying to price your average Joe out of the game.