Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Drunk experience matters! (aka Respect the wisdom of your elders)
Woke up to one of the kids frantically messaging me. By "kids" I mean our four completely grown, adult offspring. Anyway she lost her keys while drunk and tossed the house and vehicles- no keys. Locksmith wanted $270 to re-key car so panic had set in.

This is where my early years of getting drunk came to the rescue. Her now sober idea of thorough searching and the experience of formerly drunk me were miles apart- and formerly drunk me came to the rescue!

I started walking her through a new search, checking inside the back of the toilet tank, inside jars in the fridge, checking inside ceiling light fixtures, in cereal boxes, etc. Within less than five minutes the keys were safe within her hands!

Young people these days have a lot to learn. Sometimes the drunk experience of their elders trumps all of their sober knowledge.
Respect the wisdom of your elders kiddos- they have fucked up a lot more than you!

Happy Sunday Rogues!
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(03-20-2022, 05:38 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Woke up to one of the kids frantically messaging me. By "kids" I mean our four completely grown, adult offspring. Anyway she lost her keys while drunk and tossed the house and vehicles- no keys. Locksmith wanted $270 to re-key car so panic had set in.

This is where my early years of getting drunk came to the rescue. Her now sober idea of thorough searching and the experience of formerly drunk me were miles apart- and formerly drunk me came to the rescue!

I started walking her through a new search, checking inside the back of the toilet tank, inside jars in the fridge, checking inside ceiling light fixtures, in cereal boxes, etc. Within less than five minutes the keys were safe within her hands!

Young people these days have a lot to learn. Sometimes the drunk experience of their elders trumps all of their sober knowledge.
Respect the wisdom of your elders kiddos- they have fucked up a lot more than you!

Happy Sunday Rogues!

Brilliant post. And I totally agree. My 3 (two in their mid twenties and the one at home who is 13) are useless with life skills even though I thought I’d done a great job. ?
(03-20-2022, 05:43 PM)MissBeck Wrote: Brilliant post. And I totally agree. My 3 (two in their mid twenties and the one at home who is 13) are useless with life skills even though I thought I’d done a great job. ?

No matter how much we do to prepare our kids for life out in the real world the best teacher was and still is majorly screwing up on their own and learning from the experience. Sometimes they are smart enough to phone home though!
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: muttjeff01.jpg]
@"GeauxHomeLittleD"  minusculegoodjob

Most kids today can't even till you wait time it is with out a cell phone and then they just read the numbers, they don't know the meaning of AM or PM and God Help them if you set the Time to 24 hour time (military time) in China that is the only time we understood with the 24 hour way of telling time.

Do you want to give that youngster behind the register a $10. dollar bill for a $9.48 purchase, you have just Blow Their Mind, they have the look of a Deer in headlights! smallroflmao
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I learned from my Dear Old Dad's mistakes, and didn't repeat them - I went forth and made fresh new mistakes all my own... just to add to the knowledge base, you understand... and now my son is following in those footsteps, learning from our past mistakes, and going forth to make fresh new ones all his own. Imagine my surprise - I though that between the two of us, pa and I, we had covered them all, yet Number One Son has managed to find a few unused ones laying around in dark corners!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(03-20-2022, 07:44 PM)guohua Wrote: @"GeauxHomeLittleD"  minusculegoodjob

Most kids today can't even till you wait time it is with out a cell phone and then they just read the numbers, they don't know the meaning of AM or PM and God Help them if you set the Time to 24 hour time (military time) in China that is the only time we understood with the 24 hour way of telling time.

Do you want to give that youngster behind the register a $10. dollar bill for a $9.48 purchase, you have just Blow Their Mind, they have the look of a Deer in headlights! smallroflmao

My favorite thing is when you hand them A $10 and they push the numbers in and it tells them the exact change- and then I throw them off by handing them 2 quarters and watch them freak out! It always ends with me telling them how much change to give me! lol!

All of our girls have worked as waitresses and cashiers so at least they know how to count back change, not so sure about the boy!  tinyhuh
(03-20-2022, 05:38 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Woke up to one of the kids frantically messaging me. By "kids" I mean our four completely grown, adult offspring. Anyway she lost her keys while drunk and tossed the house and vehicles- no keys. Locksmith wanted $270 to re-key car so panic had set in.

Happy Sunday Rogues!

I wish this wasn't funny to me.

Now I wish I could stop laughing.

Thanks. minusculebeercheers

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

My daughter called me a pirate when I got out the big road map atlas to plan my trip instead of using my gps on a phone.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(03-20-2022, 08:32 PM)kdog Wrote:

My daughter called me a pirate when I got out the big road map atlas to plan my trip instead of using my gps on a phone.

Too funny! ?
(03-20-2022, 08:32 PM)kdog Wrote: My daughter called me a pirate when I got out the big road map atlas to plan my trip instead of using my gps on a phone.

Cell phones are the most ingenious implementation to get folks to carry their own GPS trackers right around with them ever devised by man. I feel your pain. Our car GPS is passive - it just takes the GPS signals and tells us where we are in relation to where we are going, and does not phone home with that information. The son, on the other hand, habitually uses phone GPS for navigation, thereby phoning the GPS signal home and broadcasting his location at any given moment.

And there are people in the world these days who seem to think that is somehow a GOOD thing.

Protip: when using GPS, use only a receiver, not a transceiver that has two way comms.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(03-20-2022, 07:59 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote:

My favorite thing is when you hand them A $10 and they push the numbers in and it tells them the exact change- and then I throw them off by handing them 2 quarters and watch them freak out! It always ends with me telling them how much change to give me! lol!

All of our girls have worked as waitresses and cashiers so at least they know how to count back change, not so sure about the boy!  tinyhuh

Here is what I learned, it took the wife quite a few times to learn to do this after I became aware of it over thirty years ago.  Never give a twenty dollar bill plus the forty six cents for a ten dollar and forty six cent bill.  They will put the twenty on top of the ten dollar bill in the drawer and hand you the receipt.  What you have to do that takes care of the problem is when he or she says ten dollars and forty six cents....here, this is twenty dollars and forty six cents.  It really lessens them thinking you gave them the same change, and if they do mess up when you mentioned it, they immediately say, oh yeah you gave me a twenty.  Otherwise it creates a problem because most people who do that give the exact amount....it is subconscious, they are most often not trying to screw you over, that is actually a common thing around here and also it has been going on for at least three decades and probably more, I may have just noticed it thirty years ago.
(03-20-2022, 08:38 PM)Ninurta Wrote: Cell phones are the most ingenious implementation to get folks to carry their own GPS trackers right around with them ever devised by man. I feel your pain. Our car GPS is passive - it just takes the GS signals and tells us where we are in relation to where we are going, and does not phone home with that information. The son, on the other hand, habitually uses phone GPS for navigation, thereby phoning the GPS signal home and broadcasting his location at any given moment.

And there are people in the world these days who seem to think that is somehow a GOOD thing.

I spent over twenty years on the road with my job. I had a ship load of maps, and I loved using them.

I like to think there was an art to map reading, but it probably was just something I had to do to go from point A to point B.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(03-20-2022, 08:42 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I spent over twenty years on the road with my job. I had a ship load of maps, and I loved using them.

I like to think there was an art to map reading, but it probably was just something I had to do to go from point A to point B.

Yes, there IS an art to map reading, and it is becoming a lost art. Less well known is that there is also an art to map FOLDING. All newly minted lieutenants should be required to take a 6 week course in map folding, so that the art sinks in.

Who knows what your mind thinks and does when it's inebriated.
After one morning after a night of partying in my late teens, I couldn't find my wallet. Couldn't find it anywhere, it wasn't in my car, I tore apart my bedroom spent the rest of the weekend looking frantically even went back to a couple of places we were at that night nothing zip nada. 
Years later I was downstairs in our basement and we had a rarely used bathroom down there. I stood looking at the mirror on the medicine cabinet opened it up and there was my wallet stuck behind an old box of Alka Seltzer. Evidently, in my drunken stupor, I had been searching for Alka Seltzer found them, and thought I needed to pay our medicine cabinet for one, and stuck my whole wallet in there.

Happy Sunday Rogues!

Oh my, lol.

Luckily mommy takes care of them.

My Uncle George was a "colourful" drunk back in the day. We once woke up to half a jar of mustard and his false teeth in a frying pan on the stove......simmering on low. He was passed out outside on the deck.

minusculebeercheers

[Image: new-logo-mini.png][Image: pc-mini.png]

The Shit Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Shit Tree - Jim Lahey speaking about Trudeau

(03-20-2022, 11:27 PM)MykeNukem Wrote: Oh my, lol.

My Uncle George was a "colourful" drunk back in the day. We once woke up to half a jar of mustard and his false teeth in a frying pan on the stove......simmering on low. He was passed out outside on the deck.

minusculebeercheers

That's some funny shit right there.
(03-20-2022, 09:02 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(03-20-2022, 08:42 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I spent over twenty years on the road with my job. I had a ship load of maps, and I loved using them.

Yes, there IS an art to map reading, and it is becoming a lost art. Less well known is that there is also an art to map FOLDING. All newly minted lieutenants should be required to take a 6 week course in map folding, so that the art sinks in.

Folding is very important. It's like an accordion.
(03-20-2022, 11:27 PM)MykeNukem Wrote: Oh my, lol.

minusculebeercheers

We could all use an Uncle George to make life more interesting!
smallrofl
(03-20-2022, 11:12 PM)putnam6 Wrote: Who knows what your mind thinks and does when it's inebriated.
After one morning after a night of partying in my late teens, I couldn't find my wallet. Couldn't find it anywhere, it wasn't in my car, I tore apart my bedroom spent the rest of the weekend looking frantically even went back to a couple of places we were at that night nothing zip nada. 
Years later I was downstairs in our basement and we had a rarely used bathroom down there. I stood looking at the mirror on the medicine cabinet opened it up and there was my wallet stuck behind an old box of Alka Seltzer. Evidently, in my drunken stupor, I had been searching for Alka Seltzer found them, and thought I needed to pay our medicine cabinet for one, and stuck my whole wallet in there.

Had that happen to me with a pair of sneakers. They were lost until I moved and found them behind the stereo.