Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Greetings All!!
Hi All!

I am new here (for those who may not know me already).  This forum looks like a very interesting place, and I am pleased to be a member.

I'll spare you all the big long intro (unless you really wanna' hear it), but suffice to say I am/was a long time member of ATS.  I contributed a great deal there, and I look forward to contributing the same here.  My contributions on ATS had tapered off considerably since mid-2021 and I had all but decided it was time to move on.  But at the time, and since then, I wasn't sure where to move on "to".

I believe I had set up an account here a couple of years ago, but as memory serves me there was some technical issue which prevented me from being able to participate (though I don't remember exactly what the issue was).  I know it was around the time that ATS was up for sale, and there was a group of ATS members who had stood up a website to investigate the possibilities of buying ATS, or at least stabilizing it in such a fashion that the historical content of ATS would not be lost.  That was the real and primary objective at the time...not losing the years of content in the databases of ATS.  I had initially volunteered to lead the group until a candidate who had more time could step in, but unfortunately 'life happens' and I, sadly, had to bow out of that effort prematurely.  At the time I was trying to balance a life here in the States, and manage several large projects in South America.  Anyway, enough about that effort.  I am glad to be here on RN3.

I would like to know though if anyone has any accurate fragments regarding what has happened to ATS.  At this point, I'm not sure I really have any desire to return, but I think I speak for many when I say we all contributed enough to that website that we really do have a "need to know" what has happened to all of the content there.  As long as the content has not fallen into the hands of people with ill intent, then I think I (anyway) can rest a little easier.  ATS disappeared so abruptly that my first reaction was that the cause was likely a sizable DDOS attack on the site, but had that been the case I also feel there would have been more information 'out there' by now as to what had actually taken place.  The lack of that information, as many days later is actually quite concerning.  I say this based on a fair amount of behind the scenes details I was made aware of during the time when discussions were taking place about a possible purchase.

Anyway, if anyone has any "factual" information about what is going on (and not just some wild-ass rumor) I would genuinely appreciate knowing it.  Thank you in advance.

Lastly, as noted, I am glad to be here.  In the same breath, I am very troubled about what is going on in the World around us right now.  Times seem very dire indeed, much more so than I can personally recall in my nearly 60 laps around that bright orb in the sky.  To use an analogy...a ship with an enemy captain at the helm is at least a known commodity, but a ship with no one at the helm is far more dangerous.  I fear, at least in this country right now, our situation is the latter.

So...where to begin?
(03-19-2022, 07:15 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: Hi All!

I am new here (for those who may not know me already).  This forum looks like a very interesting place, and I am pleased to be a member.

I'll spare you all the big long intro (unless you really wanna' hear it), but suffice to say I am/was a long time member of ATS.  I contributed a great deal there, and I look forward to contributing the same here.  My contributions on ATS had tapered off considerably since mid-2021 and I had all but decided it was time to move on.  But at the time, and since then, I wasn't sure where to move on "to".

I believe I had set up an account here a couple of years ago, but as memory serves me there was some technical issue which prevented me from being able to participate (though I don't remember exactly what the issue was).  I know it was around the time that ATS was up for sale, and there was a group of ATS members who had stood up a website to investigate the possibilities of buying ATS, or at least stabilizing it in such a fashion that the historical content of ATS would not be lost.  That was the real and primary objective at the time...not losing the years of content in the databases of ATS.  I had initially volunteered to lead the group until a candidate who had more time could step in, but unfortunately 'life happens' and I, sadly, had to bow out of that effort prematurely.  At the time I was trying to balance a life here in the States, and manage several large projects in South America.  Anyway, enough about that effort.  I am glad to be here on RN3.

I would like to know though if anyone has any accurate fragments regarding what has happened to ATS.  At this point, I'm not sure I really have any desire to return, but I think I speak for many when I say we all contributed enough to that website that we really do have a "need to know" what has happened to all of the content there.  As long as the content has not fallen into the hands of people with ill intent, then I think I (anyway) can rest a little easier.  ATS disappeared so abruptly that my first reaction was that the cause was likely a sizable DDOS attack on the site, but had that been the case I also feel there would have been more information 'out there' by now as to what had actually taken place.  The lack of that information, as many days later is actually quite concerning.  I say this based on a fair amount of behind the scenes details I was made aware of during the time when discussions were taking place about a possible purchase.

Anyway, if anyone has any "factual" information about what is going on (and not just some wild-ass rumor) I would genuinely appreciate knowing it.  Thank you in advance.

Lastly, as noted, I am glad to be here.  In the same breath, I am very troubled about what is going on in the World around us right now.  Times seem very dire indeed, much more so than I can personally recall in my nearly 60 laps around that bright orb in the sky.  To use an analogy...a ship with an enemy captain at the helm is at least a known commodity, but a ship with no one at the helm is far more dangerous.  I fear, at least in this country right now, our situation is the latter.

So...where to begin?

I think it was bought out again and shut down or somthing to that effect but im an idiot
@"FlyingClayDisk" 
You are Welcome Here and you can start posting replies or you can Start a new thread on anything that interest you.
If the category for your interest is not listed somewhere here. let us know, we'll make that category for you.

As far as Rules here go about posting,,,,,,, I heard someway say, No Full Nudity  tinysure I guess there was a leak that my Naked Butt Pic's  minusculemooning 
If you need to cuss to get a point across,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, God-Damn It No-One Is Going To Fucking Stop You!  smallslavedriver Any questions?
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(03-19-2022, 07:37 AM)guohua Wrote: @"FlyingClayDisk" 
You are Welcome Here and you can start posting replies or you can Start a new thread on anything that interest you.
If the category for your interest is not listed somewhere here. let us know, we'll make that category for you.

As far as Rules here go about posting,,,,,,, I heard someway say, No Full Nudity  tinysure I guess there was a leak that my Naked Butt Pic's  minusculemooning 
If you need to cuss to get a point across,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, God-Damn It No-One Is Going To Fucking Stop You!  smallslavedriver Any questions?

YAY!!  

DULY NOTED, and No Questions!!! mediumwink
It;s unfortunate, but rumors are running rampant while solid information is in short supply. from what I've been able to gather, the server is still up, but is refusing connections. Pretty much everything else seems to be pure speculation, and you know how speculation runs among the conspiracy minded.

I snagged all the content, threads and such, that I wanted from there some time ago, when sales were being discussed. Other folks seem to have not been as fortunate.

What is concerning to me is that the new owners, whomever they may be, have not released any information on the outage. That seems a bad business to me. I understand they want to remain in the shadows, but there are ways to get information out that don't expose your identity, and they seem to be taking advantage of none of those avenues. In my mind, that can't be a good sign. It's my understanding that even the mods over there got blindsided, and that sends up a whole new level of alarm to me. As long as it has been down, you'd thing that someone would have contacted them through backchannels like email or something.

So, I dunno. Enjoy your time here in your new home!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Welcome FlyingClayDisk

And yes,  times seem very dire indeed

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10864]

So...where to begin?

I have a beef with that site. Glad it's down.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(03-19-2022, 07:58 AM)Ninurta Wrote: It;s unfortunate, but rumors are running rampant while solid information is in short supply. from what I've been able to gather, the server is still up, but is refusing connections. Pretty much everything else seems to be pure speculation, and you know how speculation runs among the conspiracy minded.

Yes, boy do I!!

Quote:I snagged all the content, threads and such, that I wanted from there some time ago, when sales were being discussed. Other folks seem to have not been as fortunate.

We captured what we could, but much of this was based on our own posts. The historical reading and research of posts by others from long ago couldn't really be captured unless you knew it existed, where it was and what parts to save.

Quote:What is concerning to me is that the new owners, whomever they may be, have not released any information on the outage. That seems a bad business to me.

Not just bad for business, it's freaking suicidal!! At some point, any owner concerned about future viability would leave no stone un-turned to get the message out there that they weren't responsible and were doing everything in their power to recover. To vanish without a trace like that, and no explanation, speaks of something potentially much more sinister! When you couple this with the fact that the new owners never revealed who they were, and that the sale agreement specifically stipulated the seller not reveal this information either is pretty odd/spooky/concerning/bizarre (take your pick)

Quote:I understand they want to remain in the shadows, but there are ways to get information out that don't expose your identity, and they seem to be taking advantage of none of those avenues. In my mind, that can't be a good sign. It's my understanding that even the mods over there got blindsided, and that sends up a whole new level of alarm to me. As long as it has been down, you'd thing that someone would have contacted them through backchannels like email or something.

Exactly! During the sales discussions I had some pretty interesting conversations with a couple of the prominent moderators over there who we were wanting to come over with the buy if it happened. Some of the stuff they hinted at sounded pretty wild. I think you hit the nail directly on the head with what you just said in that paragraph. I was going to write almost the exact same thing.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings, so they may not be dead, but just the fact there is so little info out there is really weird, like weird on steroids, type of weird!

Quote:So, I dunno. Enjoy your time here in your new home!

Count on it! That's my plan.
(03-19-2022, 08:28 AM)kdog Wrote: I have a beef with that site. Glad it's down.

I'm not sure I understand that line of thinking, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I can have a beef with someone without wishing for them to be dead (to use an analogy).
(03-19-2022, 08:11 AM)Kenzo Wrote: Welcome FlyingClayDisk

And yes,  times seem very dire indeed

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10864]

Thanks!  Good to be here.
(03-19-2022, 08:31 AM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote:

I'm not sure I understand that line of thinking, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I can have a beef with someone without wishing for them to be dead (to use an analogy).

I had a beef with a specific mod over there, and so I voluntarily left. Just took my ball and glove and went home after putting years of content on that site. Be that as it may, my beef was with that mod, rather than the entire site, but even after they "un-modded" him, I never went back. By then, I had found other places to be. I never harbored any animosity to the site itself, just that mod, but the damage was done.

There are others here, however, who have a beef with the entire site, for valid reasons.

So my reasons for putting out the call that RN3 is here are not aimed at destroying ATS, or even diminishing it. I just understand the sense of loss that it's sudden disappearance engenders, and hope to give those who answer that call a softer place to land and regroup than I had.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Sorry, my blood sugar was low and didn't have my can of juice. But I said what I said.

Sorry, my blood sugar was low and didn't have my can of juice. But I said what I said.
(03-19-2022, 08:47 AM)Ninurta Wrote:

I had a beef with a specific mod over there, and so I voluntarily left. Just took my ball and glove and went home after putting years of content on that site. Be that as it may, my beef was with that mod, rather than the entire site, but even after they "un-modded" him, I never went back. By then, I had found other places to be. I never harbored any animosity to the site itself, just that mod, but the damage was done.

There are others here, however, who have a beef with the entire site, for valid reasons.

So my reasons for putting out the call that RN3 is here are not aimed at destroying ATS, or even diminishing it. I just understand the sense of loss that it's sudden disappearance engenders, and hope to give those who answer that call a softer place to land and regroup than I had.

I guess for me it's like that first girlfriend that you fell head over heals for and she dumped you. I'm still pissed.
(03-19-2022, 08:57 AM)kdog Wrote: I guess for me it's like that first girlfriend that you fell head over heals for and she dumped you. I'm still pissed.

Oh, I can understand your pique. Grace and I did pretty much the same thing you got the boot for, but we never got booted for it. seems a little arbitrary to me.

I left because Nef disrespected Grace on his silly assed podcast platform, where she had not a hope in hell of defending herself, nor I of defending her. That really pissed me off, and I sought higher ground. It would have been a different story if a rebuttal had been allowed, but it wasn't. He was more interested in dictatorship than discourse, and I've seen enough of that kind of shit to do me.

I am new here (for those who may not know me already)...

Sorry for the delayed welcome, time-zones and all that.
Not wishing to distract from your post, but if you require an avatar, I will place it HERE: for your aproval.
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
[Image: giphy.gif]  minusculebiggrin
(03-19-2022, 09:52 AM)BIAD Wrote: Sorry for the delayed welcome, time-zones and all that.
Not wishing to distract from your post, but if you require an avatar, I will place it HERE: for your aproval.
minusculethumbsup

I would love one!  Did you have something in mind, or how can we go about doing this?

The theme of my original avatar is kind of hard to explain.  It was a theme of desolation, with a lone survivor, a battle hardened warrior against all that is evil and wrong in a never ending quest to find others like him, and to rebuild the foundations of freedom and democracy.  (Probably even more relevant today than ever before)  Never giving up, despite the state of the world around him. 

I am not a graphics guy, so I have no idea what I am doing in the department of avatar creation.  (Graphics is something I am currently learning about in Corel Paintshop (which I recently acquired), related to photographic pursuits, but I am still pretty much of a neophyte.)  My original avatar had a number of very minor nuances to it which required a number of evolutions to get right, and the member who created it for me did a really great job.  There were some very subtle tweaks (visual metaphors of a sort) which, unless a person examined it closely, would otherwise go unnoticed by the casual observer.  I'm sure it was probably a lot of work on his part.  I was always indebted for that.

Anyway, not sure if the process is the same here, or if I need to go find a stock image and 'attempt' to modify it myself.

Thanks!
FCD
(03-19-2022, 03:17 PM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote: I would love one!  Did you have something in mind, or how can we go about doing this?
Don't worry about a thing, I'll have my shed-dwelling Man-Girl (BIAD) get on it right away!
He's a whizz at this stuff and will probably offer you a choice of four. (I've noticed that about
him!)
Give the dopey-hermaphrodite some time and I'm sure he'll knock-up something and give you
directions and instructions about your chosen avatar.
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(03-19-2022, 03:17 PM)FlyingClayDisk Wrote:
(03-19-2022, 09:52 AM)BIAD Wrote: Sorry for the delayed welcome, time-zones and all that.
minusculethumbsup

I would love one!  Did you have something in mind, or how can we go about doing this?

The theme of my original avatar is kind of hard to explain.  It was a theme of desolation, with a lone survivor, a battle hardened warrior against all that is evil and wrong in a never ending quest to find others like him, and to rebuild the foundations of freedom and democracy.  (Probably even more relevant today than ever before)  Never giving up, despite the state of the world around him. 

I am not a graphics guy, so I have no idea what I am doing in the department of avatar creation.  (Graphics is something I am currently learning about in Corel Paintshop (which I recently acquired), related to photographic pursuits, but I am still pretty much of a neophyte.)  My original avatar had a number of very minor nuances to it which required a number of evolutions to get right, and the member who created it for me did a really great job.  There were some very subtle tweaks (visual metaphors of a sort) which, unless a person examined it closely, would otherwise go unnoticed by the casual observer.  I'm sure it was probably a lot of work on his part.  I was always indebted for that.

Anyway, not sure if the process is the same here, or if I need to go find a stock image and 'attempt' to modify it myself.

Thanks!
FCD

Hey man. If you can do it "theabovenetwork" can prolly tell you what went on since they are the other owners/business side of things prolly.
And you can find your avatar picture using the wayback machine FCD. just find your name click it.