Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Velociraptor on a security camera?
Last April, around the 19th, a lady in Florida caught this beastie on a security camera at 3:40 AM:

I dunno what it is, but I've never seen a dog run on just it's hind legs, with it's forelegs tucked up and swaying to maintain balance. It looks like a raptor to me, but what do I know? I've never actually seen one before,

Snopes "fact checkers" were amusing. Their debunker page says in effect "we dunno what it is, but it ain't a raptor, 'cause raptors be dead now". They, rather unconvincingly, say that "it could be a dog".
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(11-26-2021, 02:31 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Last April, around the 19th, a lady in Florida caught this beastie on a security camera at 3:40 AM:

I dunno what it is, but I've never seen a dog run on just it's hind legs, with it's forelegs tucked up and swaying to maintain balance. It looks like a raptor to me, but what do I know? I've never actually seen one before,

Snopes "fact checkers" were amusing. Their debunker page says in effect "we dunno what it is, but it ain't a raptor, 'cause raptors be dead now". They, rather unconvincingly, say that "it could be a dog".

I live in the Florida woods, and I have lizards the size of a full grown medium sized dog.

I am willing to bet, that is what she captured.

I have 4 Huskies, and two cats, that think they are Huskies. They function as a pack. The pack drives me insane, and the lizards scare me, because they fight back, when the dogs and cats get them cornered. Some of their bites can get nasty if they go untreated.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Emu would be my guess
(11-26-2021, 02:53 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 02:31 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Last April, around the 19th, a lady in Florida caught this beastie on a security camera at 3:40 AM:

I live in the Florida woods, and I have lizards the size of a full grown medium sized dog.

I have 4 Huskies, and two cats, that think they are Huskies. They function as a pack. The pack drives me insane, and the lizards scare me, because they fight back, when the dogs and cats get them cornered. Some of their bites can get nasty if they go untreated.

You have lizards that walk on two legs there? That's gotta be creepy!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(11-26-2021, 04:38 AM)727Sky Wrote: Emu would be my guess

A bit much tail for an emu, but it could be a peacock. They're not generally active at night, preferring to roost, but disturbing one could result in a run.

(11-26-2021, 06:08 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 02:53 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

You have lizards that walk on two legs there? That's gotta be creepy!

They are basiliks. Most call them "Jesus lizards".  We have a variety around here that looks like something from a sci-fi movie, with its weird shaped head.

All of them are a bit creepy.  

Except for the normal looking insurance salesman type.  tinylaughing

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

First, screw Snopes.

Second, my guess is some kind of large bird. An Egret or Heron type thing. Two legs, looks like a bird body shape. 

Or a Chupacabra. Are they missing any goats?

i'm gonna have to go with dog, i'm thinking that it was on a leash or tether and had a cone on it's head, and broke free somehow. it also looks liked it's limbing while it runnig like favoring a front right paw watch at .25 speed from the start and you can see the front left leg/ paw moving and leash or tether dragging behind all the way across the yard while it's movingmoving and what i think is the cone go outa sight when head is lowerd. also if you watch it looks as if when it steps it almost looks like it's head goes down and it hops foward, i have a 3 legged cat that walks like that and a friend had a 3 legged dog that did the same.

[Image: Dog.png]
[Image: TWBB.png]

(11-26-2021, 04:28 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: i'm gonna have to go with dog, i'm thinking that it was on a leash or tether and had a cone on it's head, and broke free somehow. it also looks liked it's limbing while it runnig like favoring a front right paw watch at .25 speed from the start and you can see the front left leg/ paw moving and leash or tether dragging behind all the way across the yard while it's movingmoving and what i think is the cone go outa sight when head is lowerd. also if you watch it looks as if when it steps it almost looks like it's head goes down and it hops foward, i have a 3 legged cat that walks like that and a friend had a 3 legged dog that did the same.

I could buy that, all except the cone - that looks more like some sort of square reflective patch to me, and when it changes angle, it stops reflecting.

Also, with the 3-legged thing, 3 legged critters tend to "lope" more when they move, more up and down motion to cope with "hopping" due to the loss of a supporting leg.

So I'm still more in line with some sort of escaped bird.

Cool video!

My money is on..... human thief.

He's stolen a large something (maybe a pig-carcass or similar?) and is carrying it on his back.
The "something" has a large shiny label on it which reflects quite clearly in the first few secs of the video.

He is bent forwards with the weight of the something on his back.
The legs look like a mans legs to me (more so than dog/lizard/bird) - I'm looking at where and how the knee bends.

Hard to find a good image of "Man running bent over with pig carcass on his back" LOL!!!!
But - here is a close resemblance to the general thing that I'm seeing.... (Although I've no idea what the "tail" is...)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10393]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(11-27-2021, 10:43 AM)gordi Wrote: Cool video!

My money is on..... human thief.

He's stolen a large something (maybe a pig-carcass or similar?) and is carrying it on his back.
The "something" has a large shiny label on it which reflects quite clearly in the first few secs of the video.

He is bent forwards with the weight of the something on his back.
The legs look like a mans legs to me (more so than dog/lizard/bird) - I'm looking at where and how the knee bends.

Hard to find a good image of "Man running bent over with pig carcass on his back" LOL!!!!
But - here is a close resemblance to the general thing that I'm seeing.... (Although I've no idea what the "tail" is...)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10393]

I can see that - guy running along with a stolen supermarket ham, with the supermarket label shining...

I have seen chickens run like that, and peacocks run like that. What gives me pause for thought on the velociraptor theory is the flatneess of the tail. That looks like tail feathers tucked together to me.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but....
Could it be something like this (prank suit)?

[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(11-27-2021, 11:24 AM)gordi Wrote: Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but....
Could it be something like this (prank suit)?

That was some funny stuff right there!

I think it was too small to be a person. maybe why the lady called it a "baby dinosaur". But most folks, when you say "velociraptor" think of the raptors in Jurassic Park. As it turned out, those big raptors were invented for the movie, and it was about a year later when "Utahraptor" was found that was the size of the movie raptors. Most velociraptors, like Deinonychus, were smaller critters, maybe 3 feet long head to tail, total. But so are some birds...

A thought just struck me - turkeys, Wild turkeys run like that, and have the proper tail, too. Might it have been a wild turkey? Do they have those in Florida? I've seen them here, and now gotta wonder.

(11-26-2021, 08:36 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 04:28 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: i'm gonna have to go with dog, i'm thinking that it was on a leash or tether and had a cone on it's head, and broke free somehow. it also looks liked it's limbing while it runnig like favoring a front right paw watch at .25 speed from the start and you can see the front left leg/ paw moving and leash or tether dragging behind all the way across the yard while it's movingmoving and what i think is the cone go outa sight when head is lowerd. also if you watch it looks as if when it steps it almost looks like it's head goes down and it hops foward, i have a 3 legged cat that walks like that and a friend had a 3 legged dog that did the same.

I could buy that, all except the cone - that looks more like some sort of square reflective patch to me, and when it changes angle, it stops reflecting.

Also, with the 3-legged thing, 3 legged critters tend to "lope" more when they move, more up and down motion to cope with "hopping" due to the loss of a supporting leg.

So I'm still more in line with some sort of escaped bird.

Bite free collar, and they also make soft cones.
[Image: bite-free-cervical-collar-25-30-25cm-depth-18.png]

Quote:High quality, adjustable cervical collar with foam padded neck. Three Velcro adjustable straps ensure quick and secure attachment. Movement is gently restricted, minimizing the effect of the dogs' bite and lick response. Superior peripheral vision.

Bite Free Collar
[Image: TWBB.png]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10398]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think Howlie nailed it.  Veloci-Fido.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]