Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Getting ready!
Yesterday saw the departure of our youngest daughter and toward the end of the week we will be returning the grandgirl to our oldest daughter- then the fun begins!

This will be our very first vacation where we don't have to be at any particular place at scheduled times or have people waiting for us to arrive. No time constraints, nothing to prevent us from diverting to alternate plans and activities.

We have a loose plan that is flexible above all. If we see a roadside sign that peaks our interest we will be able to follow it without guilt because "everyone is waiting for us".

Hopefully this will be the first in a series of driving trips to witness the beauty that is the United States of America while we still possess enough freedom to do so. Both Kdog and I grew up taking long, cross country trips to see our nation's wonders and fear that the time will soon be coming when the freedom to do so is ours no more. 

Not one of us knows what the future brings. If there are things you have always wanted to do maybe now is the time to start doing them before time runs out. No matter what the future may bring none of us are getting any younger, so get that bucket list going while the getting is still good!
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
That sounds so nice. It would be great to just drive and look at anything that is interesting along the way.

I’m always wanting to stop and read the historical markers when on a trip but usually pass them by. The other day I finally slowed down to take a look at some signs on the highway that had been there for awhile. The Geological Society had put signs out describing the different rock formations. Pretty interesting but sad because I wonder how many people have slowed down to appreciate their work. 

I hope y’all have a great time and see lots of interesting things.
My mother and I have birthdays one day apart. We used to celebrate our birthdays by picking an spot, and renting a car on arrival.

Our road trips became legendary. Just remember one thing and you will have a wonderful time.

You rarely remember all they things that go right on a road trip. You will be retelling all the stories of all the things that went wrong, for as long as you live.

Have a great time, and may the time you spend on your vacation, create wonderful tales to be passed down at family gatherings, for years to come.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Sounds like a good time ahead.  I'm so happy you're getting to do this while you can still enjoy it. I can attest to how things can hit one's life and suddenly you're not able to do what you once could. I went to bed with things being just fine, and woke up the next day unable to walk. So, enjoy life NOW.

I saw an advertisement for a camper that had a great price tag a couple of weeks ago. I remember thinking I would buy it if I had a truck or bigger car to pull it. I would love to just take off and go with no destination. 
Sounds like what you are about to do, so have fun and be safe.
Happy Trails!

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(07-06-2021, 04:49 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Sounds like a good time ahead.  I'm so happy you're getting to do this while you can still enjoy it. I can attest to how things can hit one's life and suddenly you're not able to do what you once could. I went to bed with things being just fine, and woke up the next day unable to walk. So, enjoy life NOW.

I saw an advertisement for a camper that had a great price tag a couple of weeks ago. I remember thinking I would buy it if I had a truck or bigger car to pull it. I would love to just take off and go with no destination. 
Sounds like what you are about to do, so have fun and be safe.

Not a camper but a large tent with a screened in front porch, a queen sized pedestal air mattress, a battery operated box fan and innumerable "glamping" amenities. I love tent camping but the older I get the more my bones demand some measure of comfort.
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]