Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boundary of heliosphere mapped for the first time
Quote:Boundary of heliosphere mapped for the first time
by Los Alamos National Laboratory

A diagram of our heliosphere. For the first time, scientists have mapped the heliopause, which is the boundary between the heliosphere (brown) and interstellar space (dark blue). Credit: NASA/IBEX/Adler Planetarium
For the first time, the boundary of the heliosphere has been mapped, giving scientists a better understanding of how solar and interstellar winds interact.

"Physics models have theorized this boundary for years," said Dan Reisenfeld, a scientist at Los Alamos National Laboratory and lead author on the paper, which was published in the Astrophysical Journal today. "But this is the first time we've actually been able to measure it and make a three-dimensional map of it."
The heliosphere is a bubble created by the solar wind, a stream of mostly protons, electrons, and alpha particles that extends from the Sun into interstellar space and protects the Earth from harmful interstellar radiation.
Reisenfeld and a team of other scientists used data from NASA's Earth-orbiting Interstellar Boundary Explorer (IBEX) satellite, which detects particles that come from the heliosheath, the boundary layer between the solar system and interstellar space. The team was able to map the edge of this zone—a region called the heliopause. Here, the solar wind, which pushes out toward interstellar space, collides with the interstellar wind, which pushes in towards the Sun.

To do this measurement, they used a technique similar to how bats use sonar. "Just as bats send out sonar pulses in every direction and use the return signal to create a mental map of their surroundings, we used the Sun's solar wind, which goes out in all directions, to create a map of the heliosphere," said Reisenfeld.
They did this by using IBEX satellite's measurement of energetic neutral atoms (ENAs) that result from collisions between solar wind particles and those from the interstellar wind. The intensity of that signal depends on the intensity of the solar wind that strikes the heliosheath. When a wave hits the sheath, the ENA count goes up and IBEX can detect it.
"The solar wind 'signal' sent out by the Sun varies in strength, forming a unique pattern," explained Reisenfeld. "IBEX will see that same pattern in the returning ENA signal, two to six years later, depending on ENA energy and the direction IBEX is looking through the heliosphere. This time difference is how we found the distance to the ENA-source region in a particular direction."
% buffered00:00
00:00

The first three-dimensional map of the boundary between our solar system and interstellar space--a region known as the heliopause. Credit: Los Alamos National Laboratory
They then applied this method to build the three-dimensional map, using data collected over a complete solar cycle, from 2009 through 2019.
"In doing this, we are able to see the boundary of the heliosphere in the same way a bat uses sonar to 'see' the walls of a cave," he added.
The reason it takes so long for the signal to return to IBEX is because of the vast distances involved. Distances in the solar system are measured in astronomical units (AU) where 1 AU is the distance from the Earth to the Sun. Reisenfeld's map shows that the minimum distance from the Sun to the heliopause is about 120 AU in the direction facing the interstellar wind, and in the opposite direction, it extends at least 350 AU, which is the distance limit of the sounding technique. For reference, the orbit of Neptune is about 60 AU across.

https://phys.org/news/2021-06-boundary-heliosphere.html
That is Awesome, now my question is, How was the Heliosphere Created?
They say it was a natural occurrence, the Heliosphere was naturally created as the Early Earth was formed.

I think Not.
I have thought our Earth is like an Experiment or a body that was Helped alone in it Formation.
Our Earth has some many life saving protections for Water/Carbon Based life.

We, Humans were created for a purpose. JMHO

I have a VERY Have time believing all the Earths Seas, Oceans and Cavities of Water came from Icy Asteroids  Crashing into Earth.
I also don't believe our Moon was formed from our Earth due to a Collision. No, I think our Moon was made to help sustain Life.
JMHO
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Interesting, I think ?I saw this somewhere else...
(06-21-2021, 08:56 AM)727Sky Wrote:
Quote:Boundary of heliosphere mapped for the first time
by Los Alamos National Laboratory

A diagram of our heliosphere. For the first time, scientists have mapped the heliopause, which is the boundary between the heliosphere (brown) and interstellar space (dark blue). Credit: NASA/IBEX/Adler Planetarium
For the first time, the boundary of the heliosphere has been mapped, giving scientists a better understanding of how solar and interstellar winds interact.

"Physics models have theorized this boundary for years," said Dan Reisenfeld, a scientist at Los Alamos National Laboratory and lead author on the paper, which was published in the Astrophysical Journal today. "But this is the first time we've actually been able to measure it and make a three-dimensional map of it."
The heliosphere is a bubble created by the solar wind, a stream of mostly protons, electrons, and alpha particles that extends from the Sun into interstellar space and protects the Earth from harmful interstellar radiation.
Reisenfeld and a team of other scientists used data from NASA's Earth-orbiting Interstellar Boundary Explorer (IBEX) satellite, which detects particles that come from the heliosheath, the boundary layer between the solar system and interstellar space. The team was able to map the edge of this zone—a region called the heliopause. Here, the solar wind, which pushes out toward interstellar space, collides with the interstellar wind, which pushes in towards the Sun.

To do this measurement, they used a technique similar to how bats use sonar. "Just as bats send out sonar pulses in every direction and use the return signal to create a mental map of their surroundings, we used the Sun's solar wind, which goes out in all directions, to create a map of the heliosphere," said Reisenfeld.
They did this by using IBEX satellite's measurement of energetic neutral atoms (ENAs) that result from collisions between solar wind particles and those from the interstellar wind. The intensity of that signal depends on the intensity of the solar wind that strikes the heliosheath. When a wave hits the sheath, the ENA count goes up and IBEX can detect it.
"The solar wind 'signal' sent out by the Sun varies in strength, forming a unique pattern," explained Reisenfeld. "IBEX will see that same pattern in the returning ENA signal, two to six years later, depending on ENA energy and the direction IBEX is looking through the heliosphere. This time difference is how we found the distance to the ENA-source region in a particular direction."
% buffered00:00
00:00

The first three-dimensional map of the boundary between our solar system and interstellar space--a region known as the heliopause. Credit: Los Alamos National Laboratory
They then applied this method to build the three-dimensional map, using data collected over a complete solar cycle, from 2009 through 2019.
"In doing this, we are able to see the boundary of the heliosphere in the same way a bat uses sonar to 'see' the walls of a cave," he added.
The reason it takes so long for the signal to return to IBEX is because of the vast distances involved. Distances in the solar system are measured in astronomical units (AU) where 1 AU is the distance from the Earth to the Sun. Reisenfeld's map shows that the minimum distance from the Sun to the heliopause is about 120 AU in the direction facing the interstellar wind, and in the opposite direction, it extends at least 350 AU, which is the distance limit of the sounding technique. For reference, the orbit of Neptune is about 60 AU across.

https://phys.org/news/2021-06-boundary-heliosphere.html

looks a little thin up front, i'd feel better if the front was as large as the back.
[Image: TWBB.png]

(06-21-2021, 05:39 PM)guohua Wrote: That is Awesome, now my question is, How was the Heliosphere Created?
They say it was a natural occurrence, the Heliosphere was naturally created as the Early Earth was formed.

I think Not.

In a way, the heliosphere was created by man. it's just a word humans use to describe the volume of space contained within the boundary of the heliopause. The heliopause is the boundary where the sun loses physical influence on surrounding space - it's the limit of the sun's "reach". it is the boundary where the solar wind is no longer strong enough to oppose the interstellar winds. Solar wind, just like wind in the air, has a pressure associated with it, The heliopause is where that pressure of the solar wind becomes too low to counteract and redirect incoming pressure from the interstellar wind.

Quote:I have thought our Earth is like an Experiment or a body that was Helped alone in it Formation.

I think similarly. In all my years, however, I've never been able to figure out what that purpose is, so I just amble along aimlessly.

Quote:I have a VERY Have time believing all the Earths Seas, Oceans and Cavities of Water came from Icy Asteroids  Crashing into Earth.
I also don't believe our Moon was formed from our Earth due to a Collision. No, I think our Moon was made to help sustain Life.
JMHO

You know, it's been said that life could never have started on Earth without the moon present to cause tides, which as the theory goes, stirred the primoridal soup until life just happened. If that is really how it happened, then my aimless wanderings ARE the purpose of life!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-21-2021, 05:39 PM)guohua Wrote: That is Awesome, now my question is, How was the Heliosphere Created?

ME: The sphere is created by the solar wind from the sun.

I think Not.
I have thought our Earth is like an Experiment or a body that was Helped alone in it Formation.

I have a VERY Have time believing all the Earths Seas, Oceans and Cavities of Water came from Icy Asteroids  Crashing into Earth.

ME: That was the old theory but now they have discovered water is every where and has even been detected in Sun Spots as a byproduct of nuclear fusion within the sun. The better our instruments get for looking at the universe we are finding no matter where you look the building blocks of life exist.

JMHO

ME: There are many weird things about our moon beginning with its size. If you look at the planets within our solar system Venus is weird as far as the way it turns/spins and the asteroid belt which was probably a full blown planet once upon a time something happened long long ago exactly what who knows ?

ME: As far as life without the moon I have heard everything from the earth would not be stable and maybe flip over occasionally etc etc and I call BS..Other planets without a moon seem to be rather stable and if anyone has looked at Panspermia there is much supporting evidence for that theory IMO.

@"727Sky" 
Yes, I have watched those videos.
My biggest thought on this is, Earth was found by Aliens after it had formed, but was a big rock with a molten core, yes creating some form of protection but that was not enough.
No, this Alien Race needed to assure Earth was liveable for airbreathers.

They help Earth Evolve, I think they imported Water from Ice Planets and noticed that there was No Noticeable Tide Movement and so they created our Moon, Just The Perfect Size and in the Perfect Location to effect our Seas and Oceans and the Spores of Life that where in the Ice they transported here began to form and then Centuries Later, they or another Alien Race needed a Slave Race.

JMHO
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]