Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lets STOP With The Mask Charade Masquerade! Designing A New Medical Mask!
Lightbulb 
Explanation: Its clear to me after doing minimal research online that current medical masks do not work and are merely a token gesture to placate others 'feelings'.

I don't deny that wearing a cloth mask when you are sick is a wise idea and does probably cut down on transmission but with current masks not  fully up to that task I know with technological advancements we can ALL do better.

Therefor ... I propose the following new suggestions that may take medical face masks in a a radical new direction ...

0] The mask must be fitted perfectly to the wearers face and thus 3d face scanning is key technology to employ here.

Data: https://www.sculpteo.com/en/3d-learning-...martphone/

1] The mask must be lightweight and be able to be worn for 12hrs or more in comfort.

Data: https://tacticalgear.com.au/products/mir...e-gas-mask

2] The mask must be 90%+ 3d printable to ensure maximum comfort and mobility when worn plus lower costs and allow individual manufacturing at a local level.

Data: https://au.pcmag.com/3d-printers/25115/t...d-printers

3] The mask must allow easy two way vocal communication and embedded electronic communications system may be employed here for superior radio/audio reception and radio/vocal transmission.

Data: https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/category/1

4] Both the mask itself and its filters must be replaceable , washable and reusable , recyclable.

Data: https://copper3d.com/ ANTIMICROBIAL 3D PRINTING AND ACTIVE MATERIALS!

5] The mask must be good quality, durable and yet cheap as possibly can be made. High military grade gas-masks go for $500+ each, not including filters.

NOTE: KN95 medical masks are disposable 1 time 1 use masks that cost $5 each .. say each nurse works 200 days a year = $1000 in face mask costs per nurse.

6] Redesigned filters incorporating 3d printed silver and copper mesh filters with antimicrobial properties, UV LEDs/Lights plus standard activated carbon filters.

Data: ...

Killing of bacteria by copper, cadmium, and silver surfaces reveals relevant physicochemical parameters 

How silver ions kill bacteria

Copper is great at killing superbugs – so why don’t hospitals use it? 

Killer Clothing Bursts Bad Bacteria

https://core-electronics.com.au/led-ultraviolet.html

7] Possibly integrate a positive air pressure to the mask to help with breathing and to help keep external air out.

Data:  Micro Air Pump [google image search]

8] Possibly integrate a host of other modules such as small led spotlights, an IR scanning laser [to take patients temps], face/eye visor with hud displaying patient data.

9] Be powered by a system that is low powered and can be manually powered/recharged by some method.

To properly fulfill all of the above I recommend we look at a self contained HELMET design first.

Data:  https://www.cycleworld.com/10-great-adve...e-helmets/

For the following basic reasons ...

A] Total comfort.

B] Total face protection including visor allowing a positive pressure environment.

C] Large enough structure to embed comms, lights , filters, power pack, other modules such as positive air pressure pump etc.

Personal Disclosure: @"beez" I summon thee to help me brainstorm and do this ok.

But I understand if you cant ok.

@ Everybody ... have I missed anything?

Aim for the Stars and might just hit the Moon eh. minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
Point 0. won't fly with privacy advocates.  3D facial scanning has a lot of potential for abuse by various actors.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(08-16-2020, 04:20 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Point 0. won't fly with privacy advocates.  3D facial scanning has a lot of potential for abuse by various actors.

Cheers

Explanation: LOL Like they have any say in this open sourced design or creation.

Personal Disclosure: They can argue about it all when its said and done with.

P.S. Are they going to really argue about masks not protecting ones identity?

Will the nurses give two shits about it either?

This do it yourself and make your own mask circumvents the whole abuse by various other actors bit entirely.

Just delete the 3d face file after printing the mask/helmet ok.

Simple really.

Thanks for making your point @"F2d5thCav" as I had not considered that side of things but I hope the above answers put that issue to bed for you.

minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

It's Just A Ride!
I have a better idea...  being that this whole thing about wearing a mask will prevent the virus is a hoax, let's just do away with them and get back to living our lives.

This mask-wearing thing is just the first step to "de-humanize" people before they take the next step.

It's all laid out in their plans to later bring in robots to police the streets, to control us with AI, etc. This is why they are trying to get rid of cops.

They don't want real human interaction anymore. We MUST stand six feet away from others. If people fear getting close to others, they lose their compassion for one another. People can't pick up on others energy field six feet apart.

Humans are so much more than most realize. They want to destroy us because our love and compassion for one another stands in their way of taking over the world.

This is a deeper topic with scientific data, but more than I care to get into right now.
How do you propose to manufacture the mask, with 3D printing?

Not many will have those devices for quite a while.

So, after the mask is printed, who -ensures- the file is not merely deleted, but bleached as in bits scrambled beyond any hope of re-ordering them?

Yeah, I'm suspicious.  If I can't control a process with that kind of data in it from start to finish, I won't do it.

Probably are ways around this concern, but one can't assume that users will have control of 3D printers and any data they may produce.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(08-16-2020, 04:56 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I have a better idea...  being that this whole thing about wearing a mask will prevent the virus is a hoax, let's just do away with them and get back to living our lives.

This mask-wearing thing is just the first step to "de-humanize" people before they take the next step.

It's all laid out in their plans to later bring in robots to police the streets, to control us with AI, etc. This is why they are trying to get rid of cops.

They don't want real human interaction anymore. We MUST stand six feet away from others. If people fear getting close to others, they lose their compassion for one another. People can't pick up on others energy field six feet apart.

Humans are so much more than most realize. They want to destroy us because our love and compassion for one another stands in their way of taking over the world.

This is a deeper topic with scientific data, but more than I care to get into right now.

Explanation: I don't disagree with what you are saying ok.

Personal Disclosure: BUT I feel that this technology is opt in by design. People use it at their own risk.

And yet you concerns about dehumanizing people made me realize that this mask/helmet could be 3D printed using clear materials and allow maximum vision of the masked persons face.

That may help in a hospital situation where seeing a human face is far more reassuring.

Thank you for your suggestions. minusculebeercheers

It's Just A Ride!
(08-16-2020, 04:56 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I have a better idea...  being that this whole thing about wearing a mask will prevent the virus is a hoax, let's just do away with them and get back to living our lives...

[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(08-16-2020, 06:37 PM)gordi Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 04:56 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I have a better idea...  being that this whole thing about wearing a mask will prevent the virus is a hoax, let's just do away with them and get back to living our lives...

A virus is much smaller than any spit or globs of mucus that can't penetrate a mask.  Even doctors have come out and said that these types of masks don't prevent a virus from penetrating it. 

RDoctorD went into detail showing how a virus can go through these types of masks with documents proving it. If anyone is interested, go watch his video from a few weeks ago when the mask argument was at it's peak.
(08-16-2020, 04:11 PM)OmegaLogos Wrote: Explanation: Its clear to me after doing minimal research online that current medical masks do not work and are merely a token gesture to placate others 'feelings'.

I don't deny that wearing a cloth mask when you are sick is a wise idea and does probably cut down on transmission but with current masks not  fully up to that task I know with technological advancements we can ALL do better.

Therefor ... I propose the following new suggestions that may take medical face masks in a a radical new direction ...

0] The mask must be fitted perfectly to the wearers face and thus 3d face scanning is key technology to employ here.

Data: https://www.sculpteo.com/en/3d-learning-...martphone/

1] The mask must be lightweight and be able to be worn for 12hrs or more in comfort.

Data: https://tacticalgear.com.au/products/mir...e-gas-mask

2] The mask must be 90%+ 3d printable to ensure maximum comfort and mobility when worn plus lower costs and allow individual manufacturing at a local level.

Data: https://au.pcmag.com/3d-printers/25115/t...d-printers

3] The mask must allow easy two way vocal communication and embedded electronic communications system may be employed here for superior radio/audio reception and radio/vocal transmission.

Data: https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/category/1

4] Both the mask itself and its filters must be replaceable , washable and reusable , recyclable.

Data: https://copper3d.com/ ANTIMICROBIAL 3D PRINTING AND ACTIVE MATERIALS!

5] The mask must be good quality, durable and yet cheap as possibly can be made. High military grade gas-masks go for $500+ each, not including filters.

NOTE: KN95 medical masks are disposable 1 time 1 use masks that cost $5 each .. say each nurse works 200 days a year = $1000 in face mask costs per nurse.

6] Redesigned filters incorporating 3d printed silver and copper mesh filters with antimicrobial properties, UV LEDs/Lights plus standard activated carbon filters.

Data: ...

Killing of bacteria by copper, cadmium, and silver surfaces reveals relevant physicochemical parameters 

How silver ions kill bacteria

Copper is great at killing superbugs – so why don’t hospitals use it? 

Killer Clothing Bursts Bad Bacteria

https://core-electronics.com.au/led-ultraviolet.html

7] Possibly integrate a positive air pressure to the mask to help with breathing and to help keep external air out.

Data:  Micro Air Pump [google image search]

8] Possibly integrate a host of other modules such as small led spotlights, an IR scanning laser [to take patients temps], face/eye visor with hud displaying patient data.

9] Be powered by a system that is low powered and can be manually powered/recharged by some method.

To properly fulfill all of the above I recommend we look at a self contained HELMET design first.

Data:  https://www.cycleworld.com/10-great-adve...e-helmets/

For the following basic reasons ...

A] Total comfort.

B] Total face protection including visor allowing a positive pressure environment.

C] Large enough structure to embed comms, lights , filters, power pack, other modules such as positive air pressure pump etc.

Personal Disclosure: @"beez" I summon thee to help me brainstorm and do this ok.

But I understand if you cant ok.

@ Everybody ... have I missed anything?

Aim for the Stars and might just hit the Moon eh. minusculebeercheers

The problem with masks is that in order for it to be 100% effective, you'd have a problem breathing eventually.  

SPO2 levels start to decrease almost immediately when wearing any mask because you're constantly rebreeathing exhaled CO2.

It's why you see people wearing masks now with thier noses uncovered.

N95 masks are form fitting and (if worn properly) are 95% effective.  Hence the name N95.

The masks you descruibe are P100 masks.

They are, (as the name describes) 100% effective if worn properly.

PAPR's are the best. They use a positive air flow and protect the wearer. They do not (however) protect anyone else FREM the wearer.
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
Yup, they're pretty much just to make the sheep feel safe.  At my work were required to wear anything resembling a mask, even a handkerchief you can pretty much see through.  They don't do shit, but let's all suffer in the 90 degree heat so morons can feel safe. 

I think I'll start wearing this one to work:

[Image: leather-alien-facehugger-face-mask-thumbnail.jpg]
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
These examples may be extreme but the application is similar and they would be reusable.

Being diving masks the flexible rubber affixes and provides a seal to most faces doing away with the printing of a personal face design.  

Of course the snorkels are cumbersome but if redesigned removing the snorkel and replacing it with a small head piece that can be fitted with disposable cartridges.  

These retail for less than $100 on Amazon.  

The provision for a camera mount could assist with recording situations but to take it that bit further for those serious and/or in professional occupations perhaps a 'heads up' attachment that gives an inside digital display or temp, time, location/position and wireless longer distance comms.

Now I know the applications as outlined have all been packaged before but I put forward that cheaper alternatives could be examined and expanded upon or modified to suit a personal use rather than going into 4 figure amounts.

[Image: Mask.jpg]

[Image: Mask-2.jpg]

[Image: Mask-3.jpg]

My thoughts for your consideration Omega.  Maybe you could use these examples as a base for your design.

Kind regards,

Bally @"OmegaLogos"
Rainbow 
My novel idea is to stop coddling your immune system...then you don't need a mask. Your immune system needs to have exposure to germs to learn to fight them. If you don't get exposure to germs often enough the immune system has issues "remembering" how to fight some viruses and in same cases as with a novel virus has no idea how to fight it at all.

So remember masks and constant sanitizing everything makes us all weaker in the long run, and not just to covid.
The masks that I see people wearing now, around these parts anyway, have no medical purposes whatsoever but are more of a fashion trend.

People are looking for the masks that will make them look cool.

THAT is a fact.
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(08-16-2020, 11:46 PM)RickyD Wrote: My novel idea is to stop coddling your immune system...then you don't need a mask. Your immune system needs to have exposure to germs to learn to fight them. If you don't get exposure to germs often enough the immune system has issues "remembering" how to fight some viruses and in same cases as with a novel virus has no idea how to fight it at all.

So remember masks and constant sanitizing everything makes us all weaker in the long run, and not just to covid.
@"RickyD" 

YES, YES, YES!!!   What RickyD said.     minusculebonker
(08-16-2020, 11:56 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 11:46 PM)RickyD Wrote: My novel idea is to stop coddling your immune system...then you don't need a mask. Your immune system needs to have exposure to germs to learn to fight them. If you don't get exposure to germs often enough the immune system has issues "remembering" how to fight some viruses and in same cases as with a novel virus has no idea how to fight it at all.

@"RickyD" 

We have no need to wear masks where we are apart from when I visit the doctor in the larger town about 45 klicks away and I'm in the waiting room.  I understand the immunity thing.

My post is a suggestion for Omega's idea at a design for perhaps those who are susceptible to exposure in more extreme situations (not just covid) which I thought was the primary reason for his post. @"OmegaLogos" - Am I correct in that assumption Omega.

Regards,

Bally
(08-17-2020, 12:05 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

@"RickyD" 

We have no need to wear masks where we are apart from when I visit the doctor in the larger town about 45 klicks away and I'm in the waiting room.  I understand the immunity thing.

My post is a suggestion for Omega's idea at a design for perhaps those who are susceptible to exposure in more extreme situations (not just covid) which I thought was the primary reason for his post. @"OmegaLogos"  - Am I correct in that assumption Omega.

Regards,

Bally

Of course @"Bally002".  The design of the mask for those who actually need one for other reasons is a good idea.
(08-17-2020, 12:12 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 12:05 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

@"RickyD" 

My post is a suggestion for Omega's idea at a design for perhaps those who are susceptible to exposure in more extreme situations (not just covid) which I thought was the primary reason for his post. @"OmegaLogos"  - Am I correct in that assumption Omega.

Regards,

Bally

Of course @"Bally002".  The design of the mask for those who actually need one for other reasons is a good idea.
Cheers for the reply. Omega did say in the title 'Designing a new Medical Mask'  I didn't read covid or immunity into it.

Kind regards,

Bally

i'm a big fan of the heard mentality to. that's one reason i it kinda burns my ass with helicopter parents. never letting their kids play in the dirt or crawl on floor that hadn't been mopped 30 mins before hand and whole list of other stuff that helps the immune system grow.
(08-16-2020, 05:06 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: How do you propose to manufacture the mask, with 3D printing?

Not many will have those devices for quite a while.

So, after the mask is printed, who -ensures- the file is not merely deleted, but bleached as in bits scrambled beyond any hope of re-ordering them?

Yeah, I'm suspicious.  If I can't control a process with that kind of data in it from start to finish, I won't do it.

Probably are ways around this concern, but one can't assume that users will have control of 3D printers and any data they may produce.

Cheers

The 3D face scan is a non-issue, as it is worse than useless, it could actually be counter-productive. A better solution is a pliable rubber face seal as it found along the edges of a gas masks. That will conform to any changes in facial structure (temporary ones are what I have in mind - swellings from violence and that sort of thing), and it is softer on the face, making it easier to wear for a longer term. They also seal to the face well enough to allow for negative internal pressure which seals the mask to one's face even tighter. Anyone who has ever performed a gas mask function test after donning one can attest to that.

A bigger problem is the 3D printing aspect. If I can afford a 3D printer, I can afford a case of surplus gas masks. 3D printers ain't cheap, and I'd never buy one (and the printing materials, too) just to print out a mask.

If one is going with a helmet design, the facial seal is a non-issue as well. What would have to be sealed is where the air gets in, which in a helmet design is around the neck. Who wants a tight seal around their neck? Because of that, the helmet may need some sort of shoulder support, which is then the part that would need to be sealed, not the facial portion of the helmet, which would be sealed to the headpiece of the helmet rather than the face.

Just some thoughts.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-16-2020, 07:07 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: A virus is much smaller than any spit or globs of mucus that can't penetrate a mask.  Even doctors have come out and said that these types of masks don't prevent a virus from penetrating it. 

RDoctorD went into detail showing how a virus can go through these types of masks with documents proving it.  If anyone is interested, go watch his video from a few weeks ago when the mask argument was at it's peak.

I was hoping that you'd say that @"Mystic Wanderer" !

Can you show me the mechanisms that you are aware of, that virus's use to travel from host to host?

I'll save you the trouble...
They are transferred from host to host by:
Direct contact (touching, hand-shaking, kissing, exchange of bodily fluids etc),
Indirect/Surface contact (where a host touches a surface and leaves traces of the virus on a surface which is then touched by the new host),
and by Transfer of respiratory droplets, (coughing, sneezing, talking/shouting/singing).
(Also, possibly/potentially by airborne transmission via some form of aerosol.)

In summary, to catch the virus, you have to come into contact with it.
It does not spread on its own, nor does not travel on its own.
It needs a transport mechanism to allow its transfer from host to host.
In most cases this is respiratory droplets.

It is true that (in theory) the size of a single virus means that it could pass through a cloth mask. But the virus cannot travel on its own. It does not have the means to move! It needs US to cough, sneeze, shake hands etc to enable its transfer. (That's why we should wash hands, and clean contact surfaces regularly too.)
If the virus is caught on a mask (within respiratory droplets), the "new" host would have to come into contact with the old host's mask in order to catch the virus!

The masks DO NOT stop the virus. They are not designed to do this.
They STOP the respiratory droplets that transfer the virus.
Without a transport mechanism, the virus can't travel.

A simple analogy would be that If a mail train broke down, its mail wouldn't be delivered to the destination (despite being able to fit through the doors/windows of the train).

As demonstrated in the (humorous) video that I linked...
A simple cloth mask will greatly reduce the amount of respiratory droplets that are released when a host is talking, breathing, coughing, sneezing etc
This greatly reduces the potential Transfer of the Virus by removing its primary mode of transport.

*NB - All re-usable cloth masks should be washed regularly to remove the respiratory droplets and potential viral contaminants.

kindest regards,
G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]