Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Unexplained Experiences
Wife and I are browsing cookbooks at our local Post Exchange (the military equivalent of a TJ Max).  She wants to make something French ... and is looking for ideas.

We pick up a book on French Cuisine from the shelf, open it thumbing through ... and everything is written in the French language ... page after page ... no English at all.  We laugh about that (as the possibility of anyone wanting such a book from the location where we're shopping is extremely remote) between us ... cementing that shared observation in our minds.

Can't find any other French cookbooks and abandon the idea of French for anything European.  We pick up another cookbook from the same publisher (if memory serves it was Italian cuisine) expecting to find the recipes in the corresponding foreign language.  But, no, the print was all in English.

So, I returned to the French cookbook thinking maybe I was just looking at a section dedicated to the native tongue.  Couldn't find a word of French.  Wife and I just stared at one another.  We bought that book and I carefully turned through each page at home ... no French.

Anyone else ever seen anything this weird?
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
Once at work a friend and I discussed the Priory of Sion.  One of the names that came up was a fellow named Cocteau.

A few days later, we were at the (military) base library browsing books.  I walked over to shelf that had books donated by others that were available for the taking.

But of course, on the shelf and in front of the others was a worn old book.  The author: Jean Cocteau.

Yeah, that was weird.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Are you saying you bought the book that when you first viewed it, it was in French, but when you got home it was in English?
Forgive me, I'm dense sometimes.   tinylaughing 

If this is the case, I can't say I've ever heard of anything like that, and I've heard my share of stories of the unexplained.
Very strange indeed!
(08-04-2020, 05:25 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Are you saying you bought the book that when you first viewed it, it was in French, but when you got home it was in English?

If this is the case, I can't say I've ever heard of anything like that, and I've heard my share of stories of the unexplained.
Very strange indeed!

We saw it in French ... and then it wasn't in French anymore ... right there in the store.  I took it home with me, so I could take my time going through the pages.  My wife won't touch the book.  Lemme go see if I can find it on the shelf ... it's been years (and an overseas move since).  I'll post a photo if I find it.  BRB

[Image: The-Book.jpg]
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-04-2020, 05:29 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 05:25 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Are you saying you bought the book that when you first viewed it, it was in French, but when you got home it was in English?

Very strange indeed!

We saw it in French ... and then it wasn't in French anymore ... right there in the store.  I took it home with me, so I could take my time going through the pages.  My wife won't touch the book.  Lemme go see if I can find it on the shelf ... it's been years (and an overseas move since).  I'll post a photo if I find it.  BRB

Wow!   :mediumomg: