Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I’ve volunteered to be a guinea pig for a COVID-19 vaccine
Yesterday, I did something I never thought I would do. I found a website where I signed up to volunteer to get a COVID-19 vaccine. I was inspired by news articles that stated that people were volunteering to try out various vaccines to combat COVID-19. I am at an age where I feel it could benefit to see how it affects those over 50. I am 56 years old, and live on my own now that my husband is permanently in a nursing home due to a stroke he had in February. I just feel I want to make a mark and help others. Yeah, I know it’s risky. Perhaps my mindset has changed a little since this pandemic started. Instead of becoming more fearful, I decided to be a little more daring. I think I have a purpose here, and I believe God is gently nudging me along this path.  

I haven’t told anyone in my family I have done this. I feel my Mom and Dad would be freaked out, and telling my husband is not an option at this point. The last thing I want to do is make him anxious. So I guess this is my little secret, hence my stating it on here. None of you know who I am, so I feel comfortable talking about this on this site.  

Am I batshit crazy? Maybe. I do feel strongly committed to doing this though. Whenever I feel that way, I go with my gut. I have faith I’ll be okay in the end. I cannot sit around and do nothing. I served my country for 20 years in the Navy. Now I want to serve my country in a different way. Let’s hope this works out. 
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(07-18-2020, 02:16 AM)ChiefD Wrote: Yesterday, I did something I never thought I would do. I found a website where I signed up to volunteer to get a COVID-19 vaccine. I was inspired by news articles that stated that people were volunteering to try out various vaccines to combat COVID-19. I am at an age where I feel it could benefit to see how it affects those over 50. I am 56 years old, and live on my own now that my husband is permanently in a nursing home due to a stroke he had in February. I just feel I want to make a mark and help others. Yeah, I know it’s risky. Perhaps my mindset has changed a little since this pandemic started. Instead of becoming more fearful, I decided to be a little more daring. I think I have a purpose here, and I believe God is gently nudging me along this path.  

I haven’t told anyone in my family I have done this. I feel my Mom and Dad would be freaked out, and telling my husband is not an option at this point. The last thing I want to do is make him anxious. So I guess this is my little secret, hence my stating it on here. None of you know who I am, so I feel comfortable talking about this on this site.  

Am I batshit crazy? Maybe. I do feel strongly committed to doing this though. Whenever I feel that way, I go with my gut. I have faith I’ll be okay in the end. I cannot sit around and do nothing. I served my country for 20 years in the Navy. Now I want to serve my country in a different way. Let’s hope this works out. 

Please let someone you know (even if it's just a friend) just in case. If you are chosen to test a vaccine and after taking it you experience any sort of bad reaction you will need someone to check on you because you never know what might happen. Would you do this please?
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(07-18-2020, 02:16 AM)ChiefD Wrote: Yesterday, I did something I never thought I would do. I found a website where I signed up to volunteer to get a COVID-19 vaccine. I was inspired by news articles that stated that people were volunteering to try out various vaccines to combat COVID-19. I am at an age where I feel it could benefit to see how it affects those over 50. I am 56 years old, and live on my own now that my husband is permanently in a nursing home due to a stroke he had in February. I just feel I want to make a mark and help others. Yeah, I know it’s risky. Perhaps my mindset has changed a little since this pandemic started. Instead of becoming more fearful, I decided to be a little more daring. I think I have a purpose here, and I believe God is gently nudging me along this path.  

You are a wonderful, caring person. But I ask you, with every ounce of my being that I have to NOT  do this. You are a caretaker at thim time and that is  MORE than enough.
(07-18-2020, 02:28 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote:

Please let someone you know (even if it's just a friend) just in case. If you are chosen to test a vaccine and after taking it you experience any sort of bad reaction you will need someone to check on you because you never know what might happen. Would you do this please?

Yes, I promise I will. I know just the friend to call regarding this. Thanks. I appreciate very much the concern.
(07-18-2020, 02:29 AM)reldra Wrote:

You are a wonderful, caring person. But I ask you, with every ounce of my being that I have to NOT  do this. You are a caretaker at thim time and that is  MORE than enough.

Thanks Reldra. I just had a good feeling when I did this, so I feel confident about it. I know I will need to tell my husband about this. I think he knows me well enough to be okay with it.
I wish you the best of luck ! 

Heck, I don't ever get the regular flu shot. Because, well, when I did get the flu , it would last less then 24 hours. 

minusculebeercheers
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
OMG!  I have failed. tinycrying  I have tried so hard to warn people. :smallundecided:  

I just put out a post exposing the dangers of the vaccines they are experimenting with on people. It's causing adverse reactions in so many people! 
I think I posted it here. I may have posted it on Face Book; don't remember.  I'll go see if I can find it so you can read it before you do such a...   thing. 

Yes, it was in my thread here. PLEASE read this before something really bad happens to you.

PLEASE?!

ETA:  You'll have to copy/paste the link above into your address bar.  
@"ChiefD"  I do hope you'll be OK.
OMG, Good luck, I have read nothing but bad things to the people who have already tried.
Western Medicine is just mostly Wishing For The Best, it is mostly Quackery.
Well, you went and done, so we'll be here praying for you.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I think it's a noble action, but I honestly couldn't personally do it. 

Modern medicine, while amazing, is riddled with unintentional side effects. Even the most time tested medicines still seem to carry a pretty high percentage of danger with them. So when it comes to "trials" or unproven treatments, for some of us, it's no different than russian roulette. 

I wish you the best.
There is a lot of life after 50s, 60s and 70s if you have your health. I would hate to voluntarily take a shot that could mess my body up for the next 20 or 30 years if I were you. 

Is there a vaccine for SARS, MERS, which are the same type of virus ? The common cold or even for the seasonal flu which works for about 30% of those given the shot if they happen to hit/guess the proper strain of the virus.. There are some where between 6 and 30 different strains of this virus due to mutations ... there are already people who become reinfected with a new strain of this bug so the herd immunity we hear about may be a crock like most things we read and hear on the subject. If you were my child I would say there is to much to lose and very little to gain by your sacrifice. 

Since you were in the service this is a sacrifice that you do not need to make for the USA, the world, or mankind. 

The chances you are taking do not out-way the dangers IMO.. hahaha everyone has an opinion as we all know..

Well if you start telling us how wonderful Gates is, how sexy Hillary is and all about Biden's supper high intelligence , we will know the side affects.
You have balls, and I thank you for caring about so many people you will never know or meet
(07-18-2020, 05:00 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: OMG!  I have failed. tinycrying  I have tried so hard to warn people. :smallundecided:  

I just put out a post exposing the dangers of the vaccines they are experimenting with on people. It's causing adverse reactions in so many people! 
I think I posted it here. I may have posted it on Face Book; don't remember.  I'll go see if I can find it so you can read it before you do such a...   thing. 

Yes, it was in my thread here. PLEASE read this before something really bad happens to you.

PLEASE?!

ETA:  You'll have to copy/paste the link above into your address bar.  

The truly hard part of caring is to let people make there own mind up. You have not failed MW, you have done so much to warn people and I have great respect for your work.
(07-18-2020, 02:29 AM)reldra Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 02:16 AM)ChiefD Wrote:  Am I batshit crazy?
You are a wonderful, caring person. But I ask you, with every ounce of my being that I have to NOT do this. You are a caretaker at this time and that is MORE than enough.

@"ChiefD" :Yes.  You are batshit crazy.  Knock that damned non-sense off right now.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!

You have my respect.
(07-18-2020, 11:15 AM)Snarl Wrote: @"ChiefD" :Yes.  You are batshit crazy.  Knock that damned non-sense off right now.

@ChiefD, I love you, but my first reaction was exactly the same as @Snarl. 

I too urge you to rethink this decision. You have nothing to prove. One of the hardest thing for us old Vets to do is to willingly pass the baton. 

Now is not the time to unnecessarily risk your health. As @727Sky shared, you still have a good chance for a lot of life in your future, you don't want to take the chance of cutting it short or making it more complicated then you will want it to be.

Your country needs you alive, healthy, and leading with the great sense of love and compassion you have. We don't want you to be that tale of caution. tinyinlove
The whole vaccine thing is a bunch of hype to assist on keeping countries closed down is just one possibility. The other possibility is to charge $3000 for a shot that cost $20 to make .. Why do you think so many experts are anti Zinc and the $15 worth of hydroxychloroquine.. I am sorry but color me a big sceptic 
Quote:Six distinct types of coronavirus have been identified by scientists in a breakthrough that promises to save lives by flagging the highest-risk patients.
Analysis of thousands of cases by artificial intelligence software has revealed different "clusters" of symptoms and ranked them in order of severity.
Headache and loss of smell are common to all six groupings, but the range of symptoms varies widely after that.
Scientists at King's College London (KCL) found that patients with the sixth type of Covid-19 are nearly 10 times more likely to end up needing breathing support than patients in the first group.
This is significant because often patients only deteriorate to a critical stage several days after after showing symptoms. The new ranking system should flag up the highest-risk cases and give doctors the opportunity to intervene earlier.
[Image: scientists-identify-six-different-types-185531392.html]
The six types of coronavirus
The findings, derived from KCL's symptom tracker app, used data from 1,600 users in the UK and US who have had confirmed Covid-19. The resulting algorithm was then tested on an independent cohort of 1,000 users in the UK, the US and Sweden.
"These findings have important implications for care and monitoring of people who are most vulnerable to severe Covid-19," said Dr Claire Steves from KCL.
"If you can predict who these people are at day five, you have time to give them support and early interventions such as monitoring blood oxygen and sugar levels, and ensuring they are properly hydrated – simple care that could be given at home, preventing hospitalisations and saving lives."
The least severe categories of the virus were characterised by flu-like symptoms, either with or without fever.
Gastrointestinal problems, such as diarrhoea, dominate the third category, whereas fatigue, confusion and ultimately respiratory problems are associated with the increasingly severe fourth, fifth and sixth categories.

https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-identi...31392.html
Don't be a guinea pig ChiefD! just wait it out. You're already one of the good ones! don't need to put yourself at risk to prove anything or help anyone!

<3

If your decision is made and final, you have all my respect. But if you're still on the fence, here is an article saying what needs to be said about vaccine clinical trials:

Human clinical trials begin for Quebec-made coronavirus vaccine candidate, but CEO urges caution

[Image: medicago-coronavirus-vaccine-trial.jpg]

Quote:Bruce Clark, president and CEO of the biopharmaceutical company Medicago, cautioned observers against holding unrealistic assumptions that his product — or any of the numerous vaccine hopefuls in development globally — can bring the pandemic to a screeching halt if proven viable.

Clark noted that more than 120 companies are trying to come up with vaccines to protect against COVID-19, many of which have never been in the vaccine space before.

Emphasis is mine. THAT is something to reflect on...And even with reputable labs, they really are in the very, very early stages of clinical testing..

Quote:"Whatever vaccine we get in this first round — unless it's a miracle — it's not going to be perfect," said Clark, whose company began trials for its proposed vaccine Monday in Quebec City.

"It's going to have to undergo development, it's going to take probably years to come up with an understanding of the right vaccine, the right approach. It's not the panacea.

"To assume that we can have, in 18 months, the solution to a pandemic that comes around once in a generation, is naive."

What worries me here, and there are no mentions of it, is the side effects to the clinical testings.

Yet again, this is just my personal opinion.

Sol.
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(07-18-2020, 01:02 PM)Sol Wrote:

If your decision is made and final, you have all my respect. But if you're still on the fence, here is an article saying what needs to be said about vaccine clinical trials:

Human clinical trials begin for Quebec-made coronavirus vaccine candidate, but CEO urges caution

[Image: medicago-coronavirus-vaccine-trial.jpg]

Quote:Bruce Clark, president and CEO of the biopharmaceutical company Medicago, cautioned observers against holding unrealistic assumptions that his product — or any of the numerous vaccine hopefuls in development globally — can bring the pandemic to a screeching halt if proven viable.

Clark noted that more than 120 companies are trying to come up with vaccines to protect against COVID-19, many of which have never been in the vaccine space before.

Emphasis is mine. THAT is something to reflect on...And even with reputable labs, they really are in the very, very early stages of clinical testing..

Quote:"Whatever vaccine we get in this first round — unless it's a miracle — it's not going to be perfect," said Clark, whose company began trials for its proposed vaccine Monday in Quebec City.

"It's going to have to undergo development, it's going to take probably years to come up with an understanding of the right vaccine, the right approach. It's not the panacea.

"To assume that we can have, in 18 months, the solution to a pandemic that comes around once in a generation, is naive."

What worries me here, and there are no mentions of it, is the side effects to the clinical testings.

Sol.
And unfortunately the side effects are not known for months or even sometimes years
(07-18-2020, 01:08 PM)727Sky Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 01:02 PM)Sol Wrote:

Sol.
And unfortunately the side effects are not known for months or even sometimes years

Thalidomide and more recently Zantac come to mind.

The thing that bothers me the most, is that in most cases they are very aware of negative side effects, and they will still place profit over human life.

This "race" for a vaccine, and Operation Warp Speed is about the money, not about saving lives. Notice the players?

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news...79089?op=1#

If they were so interested in saving lives, especially the lives of minorities. Why is the cost of insulin so prohibitive.

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/how-much-doe...re-brands/
https://www.diabetes.org/resources/stati...t-diabetes

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers