Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Florida Felons Can't Vote Afterall
Big Grin 
Looks like the Supreme Court has allowed a lower court ruling to stand.

Another lower court previously allowed felons to register and vote, but that was halted by a different court.

Now the SCOTUS says felons can't vote !!

Well how about somebody making sure they don't vote anyway especially in some of those Florida Counties that have long histories of fraud and convenient mistakes.

Naturally the "Liberal" Justices dissented (shocking).

So if Felons do vote fraudulently, they commit another Felony anyway !!  smallfit

Quote:The U.S. Supreme Court declined on Thursday to overturn a federal appeals court’s decision that blocked some Florida felons’ eligibility to participate in elections — a major blow to efforts to restore voting rights to as many as 1.4 million people in the battleground state.

The decision lets stand a temporary halt by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit of a judge’s order that had cleared the way for hundreds of thousands of felons in the state to register to vote.

In early July, the Campaign Legal Center in Washington petitioned the high court to lift the stay, arguing that the appeals court decision had “thrown the election rules into chaos.”

But on Thursday, the U.S. Supreme Court denied that request. Three liberal justices noted their dissent, with Justice Sonia Sotomayor writing that the court’s decision “prevents thousands of otherwise eligible voters from participating in Florida’s primary election simply because they are poor.”

LINK-->  Supreme Court deals blow to felons in Florida seeking to regain the right to vote
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: SIG-Aug-20-2022.png]
OMG  :mediumfrightened: *the democrat party leader screams out*

I heard they had already registered all the Criminals as Democrats  smallroflmao
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I'm going to be a pain in the ass, and for that I apologise, but if you've served your time, you should have all your rights restored.

Yeah, I know, but freedom comes with a price.

tinysure
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(07-17-2020, 12:21 AM)beez Wrote: I'm going to be a pain in the ass, and for that I apologise, but if you've served your time, you should have all your rights restored.

tinysure

i have a problem trusting folks that have shown a tendency to behave in certain ways.

that said,
it's called paying your debt to society. unless your debt was life. once your time in jail is done and if you have any parole and it is done or any other things that were handed out during sentencing are taken care of your rights should be restored.

you should not be punished for life if your crimes didn't warrant a life sentence.
I'm with Beez and Hounddoghowlie on this. If your time has been served and your parole is completed, you should have all of your rights restored. Anything less amounts to a life sentence, and if you are under a life sentence, you have no business being out on the streets with the rest of us anyhow.

With that said, this ruling was against felons who have not yet paid their fees or fines, meaning that their terms of parole have not yet been satisfied. They are still under sentence until they satisfy their terms of parole, and so should NOT be allowed to vote.

I also think that any citizen banned from voting should also be exempt from paying taxes. Otherwise, it is taxation without representation, since they are banned from choosing their representation. We fought a whole war over that concept quite some time ago.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(07-17-2020, 02:19 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 12:21 AM)beez Wrote: I'm going to be a pain in the ass, and for that I apologise, but if you've served your time, you should have all your rights restored.

tinysure

i have a problem trusting folks that have shown a tendency to behave in certain ways.

that said,
it's called paying your debt to society. unless your debt was life. once your time in jail is done and if you have any parole and it is done or any other things that were handed out during sentencing are taken care of your rights should be restored.

you should not be punished for life if your crimes didn't warrant a life sentence.

Yes, I like the way to explained that.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-17-2020, 02:53 AM)guohua Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 02:19 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:

tinysure

that said,

Yes, I like the way to explained that.

thanks
i can be on point without a lot of rambling sometimes tinybiggrin