Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Any Hockey Fans Here?
Well, for those of us who follow hockey, we know the playoffs are starting in August.  Any thoughts?

As much as I'm happy to watch my Flyers again, it's gonna be weird as shit watching games in an empty arena.

I remember when I played in high school, we had an annual rivalry game, the rink was packed.  It was an awesome feeling making plays and feeling like the roof was gonna blow off.  Then the next game we'd play in front of parents and a handful of others lol, it sucked after experiencing the crowd dynamic.

I think it'll be weird for the NHL players too.  Us hockey fans know that playoff hockey is a different animal, the game has a different flow and feel to it, and I believe the fans contribute a lot to that, being so pumped up for playoff hockey.

I'm interested to see how it plays out.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(07-15-2020, 04:46 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: Well, for those of us who follow hockey, we know the playoffs are starting in August.  Any thoughts?

As much as I'm happy to watch my Flyers again, it's gonna be weird as shit watching games in an empty arena.

I remember when I played in high school, we had an annual rivalry game, the rink was packed.  It was an awesome feeling making plays and feeling like the roof was gonna blow off.  Then the next game we'd play in front of parents and a handful of others lol, it sucked after experiencing the crowd dynamic.

I think it'll be weird for the NHL players too.  Us hockey fans know that playoff hockey is a different animal, the game has a different flow and feel to it, and I believe the fans contribute a lot to that, being so pumped up for playoff hockey.

I'm not a huge hockey fan anymore (used to be though) but I'll keep an eye on the games. Curiously enough, the Montreal Canadiens who clearly wouldn't have made the playoffs are there now..with three players already out because of covid.

Strange times we live in and it will be very strange to watch those games being played without an audience.

Just weird.
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(07-15-2020, 04:50 PM)Sol Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 04:46 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: Well, for those of us who follow hockey, we know the playoffs are starting in August.  Any thoughts?

I'm not a huge hockey fan anymore (used to be though) but I'll keep an eye on the games. Curiously enough, the Montreal Canadiens who clearly wouldn't have made the playoffs are there now..with three players already out because of covid.

Strange times we live in and it will be very strange to watch those games being played without an audience.

Just weird.

Yup, apparently some players have opted out of playing.  Can't say I blame them, if they don't have to risk themselves and their families, why bother?

Teams opened up with a 2-week mini training camp before jumping directly to the playoffs, I think injuries will be prevalent.
I think @"Finspiracy" is probably the biggest hockey fan I know...
G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
Cheers, Gordi!  Back from holiday?
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(07-15-2020, 05:20 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Cheers, Gordi!  Back from holiday?

Yeah,
It wasn't really a holiday as such... we've got a wee holiday flat on an Island off the west coast of central Scotland and we hadn't been able to visit it for 4 months because of the lock down. The restrictions on travel have eased a bit, so we were down for a few days checking that the flat is OK etc.
Wife and the kids have stayed down! So, I'm home alone.
Am prepping my camper van for its first trip away in months this coming weekend.

YES!

minusculebeercheers

G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
What's Hockey!!??
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475b23024c83fd0748b8...=giphy.gif]
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-15-2020, 08:32 PM)guohua Wrote: What's Hockey!!??

Only the greatest sport on earth!

Just weird.

I'm assuming you're a Habs fan, may I ask why you stopped being as big a fan of the game?
(07-15-2020, 09:26 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 08:32 PM)guohua Wrote: What's Hockey!!??

Only the greatest sport on earth!

I can see that,,,,, tinywondering
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ef11cf57ba0537331e...=giphy.gif]
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-16-2020, 04:38 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote:

Just weird.

I'm assuming you're a Habs fan, may I ask why you stopped being as big a fan of the game?

Lack of time mainly. I was also a huge baseball fan up to when they got rid of the Expos here in Montreal. Stopped watching baseball then too.

After a few decades of not really watching any of it, except for playoffs once in a while, now I'm lost. Too many teams, too many players..

The Habs are no where close to what they used to be. Yet I still enjoy watching a good game once in a while.. :)
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
Bump.
Thank you Hockey Gods!!!

August 1st, NHL is back!  Still gonna be weird as shit though...
Yeah, like Gordi mentioned, a big hockey fan right here.

International. Meaning world championships and Olympics. Not too interested in NHL. So, if they are going to play, i hope that the Stanley cup goes to a team that has at least one Finnish player.
Yep I have been at a few ice hockey games, its always been hard for me to decide which has the higher IQ, the players or the puck. It seems to be an even match between the puck and the people watching the game, then again I was watching the game, but for my defense I was not enjoying it.
(07-21-2020, 11:27 AM)Wallfire Wrote: Yep I have been at a few ice hockey games, its always been hard for me to decide which has the higher IQ, the players or the puck. It seems to be an even match between the puck and the people watching the game, then again I was watching the game, but for my defense I was not enjoying it.

Lol must have been a lower level minor league, a lot of them are trying to goon their way into the NHL.

Hockey is one of those games that you can't truly appreciate unless you've played it. There's an art to it, the creative playmaking aspect.
(07-21-2020, 10:40 AM)Finspiracy Wrote: Yeah, like Gordi mentioned, a big hockey fan right here.

International. Meaning world championships and Olympics. Not too interested in NHL. So, if they are going to play, i hope that the Stanley cup goes to a team that has at least one Finnish player.

Ah, my team, the Flyers, had Kimmo Timonen, one of my favorite defensemen of all time.

I don't mind watching international hockey, the bigger playing surface makes for interesting hockey.  Just like you grew up watching that, I grew up with the NHL, so I definitely enjoy the more frequent contact in the game.
Gonna practice linking a YT video... I might fail, then i will check board instructions and edit this. (Yes, i am one of those dudes who first tries, then when everything is broken, checks the instruction manual...)

His name sounds Russian but he is as Finnish as my blue and white butt.
(07-22-2020, 02:31 AM)Finspiracy Wrote: Gonna practice linking a YT video... I might fail, then i will check board instructions and edit this. (Yes, i am one of those dudes who first tries, then when everything is broken, checks the instruction manual...)

His name sounds Russian but he is as Finnish as my blue and white butt.

Success!

LOL I would have bet (and lost) that Barkov was Russian.  I love watching these guys play, they make it look easy.

McDavid is a human highlight reel, I'm sure you've seen some of him.  Known as McJesus in Edmonton apparently.
(07-22-2020, 02:43 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: McDavid is a human highlight reel, I'm sure you've seen some of him.  Known as McJesus in Edmonton apparently.

Yeah McDavid is the best there is, or at least he used to be. He is just "next level" and then there is all the rest behind him.

PLANdemic cancelled this year's world championships so i just have to munch on some stuff from 2019...