Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Turkey's Erdogan says won't allow U.S. stalling in Syria deal
https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1VI2OL

I hate to post this as I have a feeling that after arming and supplying the Kurds to do our dirty work in Syria they will be left to fend for themselves against the Turks.

Quote:Turkey's Erdogan says won't allow U.S. stalling in Syria deal
By Daren Butler

[Image: 2019-08-28T225131Z_1_LYNXNPEF7R275_RTROP...73c972.JPG]
FILE PHOTO: Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan pays his respects at a convoy carrying remains of the Srebrenica genocide victims, in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, July 9, 2019. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/File Photo

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - President Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey's deal with the United States to set up a "safe zone" in northeast Syria was a correct step and that Ankara would not let Washington delay the plan, CNN Turk reported on Thursday.

Ankara revealed last weekend that a joint operations centre for the proposed zone along Syria's northeastern border is now fully operational. 

Washington and Ankara have been at odds over plans for the region, where the Kurdish YPG militia form the main part of a U.S.-backed force fighting Islamic State. Turkey considers the YPG a terrorist group.

"The agreement which we have reached with the USA is a correct step towards establishing a safe zone and removing the YPG from the east of the Euphrates (river)," Erdogan told reporters on his way back from meeting Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow.

Erdogan said Turkey would not accept delays in the plan, comparing it to an earlier deal with Washington to remove YPG fighters from the northern Syrian city of Manbij, which Ankara accused Washington of delaying.

"We will never tolerate a delay like we saw in Manbij. The process must advance rapidly," Erdogan was quoted as saying by CNN Turk on Thursday.

The safe zone was proposed last year by U.S. President Donald Trump, who had announced plans to withdraw U.S. special forces from northern Syria but later suspended the plan to ensure Washington’s Kurdish allies would be protected.

Erdogan said this week Turkish ground troops would enter the planned safe zone "very soon", having warned previously that Turkey would mount a cross-border offensive on its own to clear the YPG militia from its border if necessary.

"All the personnel, the armoured carriers, all are on the border. That is, we are in a position to do everything at any moment," Erdogan was quoted as saying.

DEFENCE COOPERATION WITH RUSSIA
On Tuesday, an official in a YPG-led alliance said that the YPG will pull forces and heavy weapons from a strip along Syria's border with Turkey under U.S.-Turkish deals.

The YPG withdrew from the Tal Abyad and Ras al-Ain border positions in recent days, proving it is serious about ongoing talks, the Kurdish-led authority in north and east Syria said.

U.S. support for the YPG has enraged Turkey, which views the militia as a terrorist organization linked to Kurdish insurgents inside the country.

The two countries have also fallen out over Turkey's purchase of Russian S-400 missile defence systems, prompting Washington to begin removing Turkey from its programme for manufacturing F-35 jets, which Turkey also planned to buy.

Erdogan visited an aviation fair with Putin during his visit to Moscow. Asked whether Russia's Sukhoi Su-57 stealth fighter jet and Su-35 aircraft could be among alternatives to the F-35s, Erdogan said: "Why not? We didn't come here for nothing."

The RIA news agency cited a Russian official as saying on Wednesday that the two countries are discussing the possibility of deliveries of the two aircraft to Turkey.
https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL5N25O70C

What a mess... a mess we had no business being involved with in the first place !
@"727Sky" 
My husband Very Strongly Agrees with you.
He Mumbled something like,,,,,,,,"in the old days we would have taken him out".  tinywondering
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
My, my.

1) Why do I give a rat's ass what Erdogan thinks, or what he thinks he can or cannot allow?

2) Whose bright idea was it to allow Turkey into NATO? That just puts Incirlik under the gun of "friendlies". Now the asswipes think they have some kind of skin in the game and can tell us what to do, most likely holding Incirlik hostage.

3) Now that Turkey IS in NATO, it's more difficult to simply wipe the country clean and re-populate it with humans. Pity.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(09-01-2019, 06:52 AM)Ninurta Wrote: My, my.

1) Why do I give a rat's ass what Erdogan thinks, or what he thinks he can or cannot allow?

2) Whose bright idea was it to allow Turkey into NATO? That just puts Incirlik under the gun of "friendlies". Now the asswipes think they have some kind of skin in the game and can tell us what to do, most likely holding Incirlik hostage.

3) Now that Turkey IS in NATO, it's more difficult to simply wipe the country clean and re-populate it with humans. Pity.

@"Ninurta"  and re-populate it with humans. Pity.

So, It appears you've been to Turkey,,,,,,, Yup, Strongly Agree!
DAMN, I miss the good old days. When Men Were Men, That Piss Ant Nutless Jimmy Carter Destroyed the Agency/Farm. 
Mr. G
(09-01-2019, 04:39 PM)guohua Wrote: @"Ninurta"  and re-populate it with humans. Pity.

DAMN, I miss the good old days. When Men Were Men, That Piss Ant Nutless Jimmy Carter Destroyed the Agency/Farm. 
Mr. G

It's proof that life ain't fair to see that Reagan is dead and Carter yet lives. maybe even the Devil doesn't want him, 'cause Carter is one man who could fuck up Hell itself.

Camp Peary is still there - is it not still active? I know some Contra cadre were run through it, but that was back in the mid - 80's or so, and a lot can change in 30 years. Of course the only way I knew they were there was running into a knot of escapees from that program one weekend in a town southeast of the Farm. They appeared to be on R+R, and I'm pretty certain it was unauthorized, so I presumed them to be escapees. Not a doubt in my mind that they were Contras being trained as cadre.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(09-03-2019, 03:10 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 04:39 PM)guohua Wrote: @"Ninurta"  and re-populate it with humans. Pity.

Mr. G

It's proof that life ain't fair to see that Reagan is dead and Carter yet lives. maybe even the Devil doesn't want him, 'cause Carter is one man who could fuck up Hell itself.

Camp Peary is still there - is it not still active? I know some Contra cadre were run through it, but that was back in the mid - 80's or so, and a lot can change in 30 years. Of course the only way I knew they were there was running into a knot of escapees from that program one weekend in a town southeast of the Farm. They appeared to be on R+R, and I'm pretty certain it was unauthorized, so I presumed them to be escapees. Not a doubt in my mind that they were Contras being trained as cadre.

Unauthorized for sure.
It's not as active as it was in the Real Days Of Men / Women actual Espionage and a casual Coup d'etat.